Metformin success

ruth2

I got started on metformin a week ago after years of trying to manage on a very restricted diet and 5h cycling/jogging per week. Hb1ac was 5.5, so really still acceptable, but my fasting bg would only go below 120 on low-carb and after losing 16kg on Newcastle Diet over the summer (now BMI 25, same as before having children), and even then I would wake up most nights feeling feverish and having to drink vast amounts of water just to be able to go back to sleep. Just to add to the discussion: no side effects here except for slight bloating. That familiar feverish feeling after eating carbs, no matter how few, the itchy legs and swollen fingers have all gone.

Reactions: Tophat1900

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's also significant medical evidence that Metformin is very beneficial for your cardiovascular disease risk, that is the main complication in T2, and should be given to every pre-T2 or T2 almost regardless of what the HbA1c is; indeed there is good evidence that T2 diabetes and pre-diabetes should be really treated as a secondary cardiovascular disease disorder and treated with the whole gamut of CVD preventative measures, irrespective of what the actual HbA1c and cholesterol are. This means potentially adding aspirin and a statin (lipid lowering drug) alongside the Metformin, providing there are no contraindications of course. Ask your GP about it :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
There's also significant medical evidence that Metformin is very beneficial for your cardiovascular disease risk, that is the main complication in T2, and should be given to every pre-T2 or T2 almost regardless of what the HbA1c is; indeed there is good evidence that T2 diabetes and pre-diabetes should be really treated as a secondary cardiovascular disease disorder and treated with the whole gamut of CVD preventative measures, irrespective of what the actual HbA1c and cholesterol are. This means potentially adding aspirin and a statin (lipid lowering drug) alongside the Metformin, providing there are no contraindications of course. Ask your GP about it :)

I disagree that metformin should be given out to everyone regardless of their Hba1c. It can be helpful for some, but that doesn't mean everyone should be given it just because they are prediabetic or type2. Low carb can negate the need for it, and it can be used in conjunction with low carb for some if need be. Low carb reduces insulin resistance, the main driver of heart disease. If there is no evidence of heart disease then there is no reason to be on a list of drugs for it either. Treatment for the individual should be based on their medical records/history of results, not blanket drug use without evidence of need.