Flu Jab Revoked!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in February this year, they also weighed me. I had an HbA1c of 43 and a BMI of 41.8.

I was given the flu jab in the very first meeting with my diabetic nurse but I was a bit overwhelmed and didn’t really know why they gave it to me.

So this year when I got the letter to go get the jab again I went along as requested. When I got there the nurse - who was lovely - was just popping some details into the computer when she saw I had been invited because I was “severely obese.”

Well since Feb I have lost 51kg (and my HbA1c is now 31) and actually my BMI is now normal. So she FREAKED OUT. “Oh my goodness, someone has made a mistake on your file! They’ve put down the wrong weight!”

She carried on for about a minute before I had a chance to explain. No mistake. Just that the last official weigh in, that’s what I weighed. She was floored and kept saying wonderful, supportive things. Then she asked, “What did you do?” And I said, “I stopped eating carbs.”

Her reaction was a slow clap. Now I know that the official advice has never been about restricting carbs but it definitely felt like this nurse at least understood. It was fascinating.

So in the end I didn’t get the jab because I no longer qualified. It was disappointing but as the nurse said, “I’m no longer at risk.” Which was a lovely thing to hear. Plus am not going to lie, it was quite fun getting such an enthusiastic response to the results I’ve achieved!

And ps, if there are any handbag enthusiasts on here, my wonderful husband bought me a BEAUTIFUL Hermes Birkin! He said it was his way of saying how proud he is of the life changes I’ve made! So I’m a very happy girl right now :D

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s really impressive results, congratulations.

It’s slowly but surely, all of our successes at weight loss and hba1c, we need to keep highlighting that lowering carbs has played a significant part of this and are still healthy and maybe we can make change from within!

I have had nurses tell me that bananas and Weetabix aren't good (which previously fruit and low sugar breakfasts were good) so there is a change

My doctors have been impressed but there is still an underlying feeling that they expect lower carbs means no energy or illness in another form. The results are clear but change takes a long time

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s really impressive results, congratulations.

It’s slowly but surely, all of our successes at weight loss and hba1c, we need to keep highlighting that lowering carbs has played a significant part of this and are still healthy and maybe we can make change from within!

I have had nurses tell me that bananas and Weetabix aren't good (which previously fruit and low sugar breakfasts were good) so there is a change

My doctors have been impressed but there is still an underlying feeling that they expect lower carbs means no energy or illness in another form. The results are clear but change takes a long time

Exactly this.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
What an amazing outcome and a great source of encouragement for others! Have you posted in Success Stories?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in February this year, they also weighed me. I had an HbA1c of 43 and a BMI of 41.8.

I was given the flu jab in the very first meeting with my diabetic nurse but I was a bit overwhelmed and didn’t really know why they gave it to me.

So this year when I got the letter to go get the jab again I went along as requested. When I got there the nurse - who was lovely - was just popping some details into the computer when she saw I had been invited because I was “severely obese.”

Well since Feb I have lost 51kg (and my HbA1c is now 31) and actually my BMI is now normal. So she FREAKED OUT. “Oh my goodness, someone has made a mistake on your file! They’ve put down the wrong weight!”

She carried on for about a minute before I had a chance to explain. No mistake. Just that the last official weigh in, that’s what I weighed. She was floored and kept saying wonderful, supportive things. Then she asked, “What did you do?” And I said, “I stopped eating carbs.”

Her reaction was a slow clap. Now I know that the official advice has never been about restricting carbs but it definitely felt like this nurse at least understood. It was fascinating.

So in the end I didn’t get the jab because I no longer qualified. It was disappointing but as the nurse said, “I’m no longer at risk.” Which was a lovely thing to hear. Plus am not going to lie, it was quite fun getting such an enthusiastic response to the results I’ve achieved!

And ps, if there are any handbag enthusiasts on here, my wonderful husband bought me a BEAUTIFUL Hermes Birkin! He said it was his way of saying how proud he is of the life changes I’ve made! So I’m a very happy girl right now :D

Wow! What an outcome. Huge well done.

Now, I'm only a little person, but you have lost more than I weigh! That's quite astonishing. I'm in awe.

Reactions: ert

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is an incredible weight loss! No wonder the nurse thought someone has typed your details in incorrectly. Well done - & also to hubby for the great pressie

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosie Maxwell take a bow. 51kg, blimey.
Whatever restrictions we're under, I'm sure you'll have a lovely Christmas.

Reactions: JohnEGreen