ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I was supposed to have an operation on my throat on Thursday 10th. It was cancelled because my latest hba1c was 12.4 and was told that is too high for the op. Am upset because that op could well have helped with the 9roblems I have had for years, could be related to the sjgrens/2 mess am on can sometimes raise sugar levels. The hospital did the hba1c blood test because my surgery last did that August 2018 despite me constantly asking for one, which am entitled to them. Yet again in my opinion, being let down so badly by my surgery.
The surgery had contacted the hospital diabetic clinic. They had discussions about me.the diabetic dept rang me Friday. They are looking at putting me on insulin. That is what I gave been trying so hard to avoid.
The centre are ringing me again on Wednesday and will discuse that in more detail then, in view of seeing them
Talk about being hit in the face again because this may have been avoided if my surgery had done their job with doing the hba1c tests. Also, last time I had a retinal eye test was 3 years ago. Also I have been bombarding them with phone calls.
I know the eye sight has got worse but no idea if that's diabetic related or just generally worse as I,m getting older x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you remind us what sort of diet you are having? Yes, it's worth avoiding insulin if you can if you think you may have some insulin resistance. You can end up having a very high number of shots to counteract the resistance. That HBA1C is very high so obviously you do need to some change to diet or medication to get it down.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was supposed to have an operation on my throat on Thursday 10th. It was cancelled because my latest hba1c was 12.4 and was told that is too high for the op. Am upset because that op could well have helped with the 9roblems I have had for years, could be related to the sjgrens/2 mess am on can sometimes raise sugar levels. The hospital did the hba1c blood test because my surgery last did that August 2018 despite me constantly asking for one, which am entitled to them. Yet again in my opinion, being let down so badly by my surgery.
The surgery had contacted the hospital diabetic clinic. They had discussions about me.the diabetic dept rang me Friday. They are looking at putting me on insulin. That is what I gave been trying so hard to avoid.
The centre are ringing me again on Wednesday and will discuse that in more detail then, in view of seeing them
Talk about being hit in the face again because this may have been avoided if my surgery had done their job with doing the hba1c tests. Also, last time I had a retinal eye test was 3 years ago. Also I have been bombarding them with phone calls.
I know the eye sight has got worse but no idea if that's diabetic related or just generally worse as I,m getting older x

Oh Ally - Your medical bunch really haven't looked after you at all.

Whilst I am sure you would like to avoid insulin, it might be worthwhile going onto it, even for a while, to get your operation done, which could help with other challenges you have?

On very much the upside. if you were then to be looked after by the Diabetes Centre/Clinic, it seems likely you would manage more attention that you have had for years from your GP.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi. Can you remind us what sort of diet you are having? Yes, it's worth avoiding insulin if you can if you think you may have some insulin resistance. You can end up having a very high number of shots to counteract the resistance. That HBA1C is very high so obviously you do need to some change to diet or medication to get it down.
My diet hasn't changed for a good 3 years, so doubt that's to blame.am taking met for min 2 X 2 a day and victoza 1.8ml a day.
I am aware that two med I am on can have an effort on my bs levels.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh Ally - Your medical bunch really haven't looked after you at all.

Whilst I am sure you would like to avoid insulin, it might be worthwhile going onto it, even for a while, to get your operation done, which could help with other challenges you have?

On very much the upside. if you were then to be looked after by the Diabetes Centre/Clinic, it seems likely you would manage more attention that you have had for years from your GP.

I totally agree that insulin will help and taking it for a short while could just do the trick.I am waiting for the next step with the diabetic clinic.xx

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My diet hasn't changed for a good 3 years, so doubt that's to blame.am taking met for min 2 X 2 a day and victoza 1.8ml a day.
I am aware that two med I am on can have an effort on my bs levels.
It's of course possible that insulin will be a good move, but You said your diet isn't to blame but my diet didn't change for more than 3 years and my levels crept up and up and I was on 2000mg Metformin and bydureon weekly (plus daplaflaglozin towards the end). Reducing my carbs, significant weight loss and exercise reduced my last hba1c to 39 and off the dapa and bydureon. Having a blood test Thursday to see if I can reduce drugs further

So it might be worth looking at your food if you can. But not evergone can and insulin might be the right path. It's better I think for your bloods to be controlled

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree that insulin will help and taking it for a short while could just do the trick.I am waiting for the next step with the diabetic clinic.xx
I know you have tried and are still trying your best for a long time, juggling several difficult conditions. You are inspirational to me. I have no advice, but send all good wishes to you.

Reactions: hyponilla

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
It's of course possible that insulin will be a good move, but You said your diet isn't to blame but my diet didn't change for more than 3 years and my levels crept up and up and I was on 2000mg Metformin and bydureon weekly (plus daplaflaglozin towards the end). Reducing my carbs, significant weight loss and exercise reduced my last hba1c to 39 and off the dapa and bydureon. Having a blood test Thursday to see if I can reduce drugs further

So it might be worth looking at your food if you can. But not evergone can and insulin might be the right path. It's better I think for your bloods to be controlled
You have done well.
Since middle of October, I have lost almost 4 stone.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I know you have tried and are still trying your best for a long time, juggling several difficult conditions. You are inspirational to me. I have no advice, but send all good wishes to you.
Thank you. Like you, as like the members that have been on here awhile and know me and what other things wrong with me, understand where I am coming from

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done well.
Since middle of October, I have lost almost 4 stone.
Congratulations! I hope that you find the right path through and if insulin is that Path then I can understand it's a challenge but lots of people on here to offer support.

I didn't want to come across badly in my post and realised after I'd come across a bit so. Everyone is unique and what works for some doesn't for others. Hope all goes okay for you!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Congratulations! I hope that you find the right path through and if insulin is that Path then I can understand it's a challenge but lots of people on here to offer support.

I didn't want to come across badly in my post and realised after I'd come across a bit so. Everyone is unique and what works for some doesn't for others. Hope all goes okay for you!

I didn't take any offence by your post

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have spoken again to the hospital diabetic nurse, she discussed me with the clinics diabetic consultant.
He wants to try me with gliclazide 80mg twice a day, taking that along side the victory and met for min.
He will review the situation when the next hba1c test is done. That will be in February.
He also spoke to my gp, to start with, gp said he wouldn't issue it and issue the TEE2 test strips. His response was, I am costing a fortune with the med I am on.
Basically, the consultant said, "if you had done you job, this patient maybe not have been in the situation now.
I would love to have been a fly on the wall listening to the phone call.
If this doesn't work then it will have to be insulin

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have spoken again to the hospital diabetic nurse, she discussed me with the clinics diabetic consultant.
He wants to try me with gliclazide 80mg twice a day, taking that along side the victory and met for min.
He will review the situation when the next hba1c test is done. That will be in February.
He also spoke to my gp, to start with, gp said he wouldn't issue it and issue the TEE2 test strips. His response was, I am costing a fortune with the med I am on.
Basically, the consultant said, "if you had done you job, this patient maybe not have been in the situation now.
It’s interesting they are counting the costs here, my experience has been having all sorts of drugs thrown at me regardless of cost to keep me off insulin. Except when I was in Wales, where cost was certainly a factor in being taken off bydureon and my bloods kept increasing until I was put back on it when I returned to England. the test strips though definitely are something doctors tend to push back on unless needed (and even then they can be a challenge)

that was prior my control coming back of course. Have blood test today to see if I’m able to reduce the metformin

good luck with the new meds. Insulin is something to try to avoid in my opinion but also don’t be too scared of it. Having controlled bloods is much more important.

Reactions: ally1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hurrah for the consultant!

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
This shows how much my surgery is useless, gp isn't going to issue the extra med, so not started it yet.
Am waiting for the diabetic nurse at the hospital to call me back tomorrow morning.
She jade me laugh Friday because she called my gp an imbecile.
Gp had told her that I am costing a fortune with the med am on.
If he had done his job in the first place, then maybe I wouldn't be on half the med I take