T1 diabetics here had COVID 19? I may have it.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks like I may have C19, cough, headache, some shivers and most of all uncontrollably high sugar levels. I've sent off the test, let's see what happens.

IF you have had how did you manage it? I very rarely get any kinda illness that effects my blood sugar levels but this is a nightmare.

Currently can't get levels down below 14. I'm taking an extra 10u of levimer in the morning and also an extra 6u in the evening, still not shifting.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to read you are under the weather?
Have you checked your Levimer is ok? Whilst highs are not unexpected when we are poorly, it is also a good idea to discount problems with insulin.
Don't forget we become insulin resistant when our blood sugars are high so you may need more bolus to bring them down.
Are you able to do ketone tests?
Keep testing,. correcting and look after yourself.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi mate,

Rapid and Levimier pens have both been changed in-case they were bad. Also I'm soooooo hungry all the time

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't going to reply to this thread as I am T2, but I was starving hungry with covid too.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yep I've never been this hungry in my life tbh and with the elevated BGL you can't even eat.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yep I've never been this hungry in my life tbh and with the elevated BGL you can't even eat.
Hope you feel better soon. Really odd to have high bg and be hungry though I suppose its a sign that not enough energy is getting through to your cells especially if its the bad stuff you are craving? Today is a good day to stay tucked up inside in any case...Hope your ketones stay under the radar. Maybe some low carb snacks will keep you going?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you feel better soon. Really odd to have high bg and be hungry though I suppose its a sign that not enough energy is getting through to your cells especially if its the bad stuff you are craving? Today is a good day to stay tucked up inside in any case...Hope your ketones stay under the radar. Maybe some low carb snacks will keep you going?

Thanks mate.

I'd love to stay tucked in, but I have to work. It's a nightmare trying to concentrate on work with the hunger tbh.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really odd to have high bg and be hungry
It is normal for me - hunger is a sign that my blood sugars are high.
If they are low, I have absolutely no interest in eating anything. Which can be a major pain.

And, as low/no carb will cause my blood sugars to rise, the only option I have is to drink tea or water which is not great on top of the other clear symptom that I have high blood sugars - a strong desire to urinate.

I recommend, @O_DP_T1 gets his blood sugars down through fast acting insulin, remembering that he will be insulin resistant (I can need twice as much insulin as usual for correction if my blood sugars are high).

Yours Oddly

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is normal for me - hunger is a sign that my blood sugars are high.
If they are low, I have absolutely no interest in eating anything. Which can be a major pain.

And, as low/no carb will cause my blood sugars to rise, the only option I have is to drink tea or water which is not great on top of the other clear symptom that I have high blood sugars - a strong desire to urinate.

I recommend, @O_DP_T1 gets his blood sugars down through fast acting insulin, remembering that he will be insulin resistant (I can need twice as much insulin as usual for correction if my blood sugars are high).

Yours Oddly
I know what you mean but I often feel sickly at the same time. It amazes me how much extra insulin I need if I'm ever ill or when pregnant. The liver is very impressive when it comes to chugging out glucose consistently too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks like I may have C19, cough, headache, some shivers and most of all uncontrollably high sugar levels. I've sent off the test, let's see what happens.

IF you have had how did you manage it? I very rarely get any kinda illness that effects my blood sugar levels but this is a nightmare.

Currently can't get levels down below 14. I'm taking an extra 10u of levimer in the morning and also an extra 6u in the evening, still not shifting.

Hi,

All I can suggest is the "sick day rules." Now, I've not had C19. So can't comment on that.
But I know @MeiChanski came down with it. Hopefully she can give a little insight.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not really ever had this much of an issue before tbh with high levels even if I've been ill and I've been T1 for 40+ years

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not really ever had this much of an issue before tbh with high levels even if I've been ill and I've been T1 for 40+ years

Same 'ere. (44 years.)
Since the advent of MDI, even the reported insulin resistance should they go statopherically wayward? Never any issue reigning it in..
I tend to go off food. Though, one should maitain substainace whilst uderstand the weather..

Hope your test comes back clear.

TypeZero.

Hope you get better x

Because I work in a lab at a pharmaceutical company I qualified for an antibody test with the NHS, the antibodies basically tell if I’ve ever had Covid in my entire life and it came back positive.

I don’t remember anything severe, my sugars haven’t been extraordinarily high since my diagnosis of 8 months ago

The way I’d reduce my blood sugars really quickly is injecting into muscles in your thighs, waiting for 30 minutes then going for a walk

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update: Over the weekend C19 was confirmed positive. I've managed to stabilise my levels by injecting every 2-3 hours. Still feeling quite tired, and can't seem to shift this cough.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update: Over the weekend C19 was confirmed positive. I've managed to stabilise my levels by injecting every 2-3 hours. Still feeling quite tired, and can't seem to shift this cough.

Look after yourself, O_DP_T1. Do you have people around you who can look after you, or where necessary ensure you have enough food, meds etc?

I know it's boring, but if you're having to inject more frequently, and testing obviously, have you checked you have plenty supplies to hand? With the holiday coming up, there would likely more of a delay in the turnaround times.

Our surgery is closed Friday this week, and Monday and Friday next. Yours may differ, but the last thing you need is to run low on supplies and feel concerned.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there should be enough to get through the holidays.

bmtest

I had what i thought was covid 19 back in March and had very high blood sugars thar I had to combat for at least 5 days.

Symptoms were to me like the actor John Mills and Anthony Quale in film Ice Cold in Alex. The whole throat chest and airways were in the desert plus pain in kidneys and very very tight chest.

Symptoms mild dry throat for 1st week 2nd week it was game on blood sugars high 4 times dose and chest pain and drank cup of tea after cup of tea to combat dryness. Left Lantus same used fast acting shock treatment to control.

It must of been it as all family ill at same time and passed it onto son who came to visit as at that point we were not aware we had it.

Very mild in some guy at work aged 60 tested positive and just felt tired for 4hrs and sinus pain. Although his neighbour same age is still in hospital so its an odd one it depends I suppose on viral dose and many other unknown factors.

Also for months after airways feel scorched and was very tired for long time but that was easy for me has experieced chronic fatigue in early 90s and it was nowhere near as bad as that which took 5 years to fully beat.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update:

Hey guys I know some of you wanted an update on how I’m getting on.

So here’s quick rundown and my experience with Covid and T1 diabetes:

First few days (Didn’t actually know I had it)
Had a sore throat and some snivels (thought nothing of it as i never really get ill)
Blood sugars ok

Days 4-5
Loss of tase and smell and some pains around the knees and lower back (I train 5-6 times a week and never really have these types of pains)
Blood sugars sky rocketing up to 15 plus all of a sudden (had Covid test done)

Days 6-9 Nightmare
Continuous cough sometimes making it hard to speak and breath, shakes, blood sugars never coming down I had to resort to increasing insulin dose to nearly x3 normal intake and often injecting every 2-3 hours, 24hr headaches that would not shift, complete loss of strength, hunger like I’ve never experienced (i usually eat around 2800 cals day, I was taking in about 4K cals during this period and still feeling hungry).

Days 9 to now - Getting better by the day slowly. Blood sugars returned to almost normal, insulin levels still about 20% higher then pre-covid, still got a tiny bit of a cough, taste and small back to normal and no aches and pains. Have started training again and energy levels are pretty much getting there, although I’ve lost about 40% of my strength from before Covid.

Had a retest the other day and awaiting results now, hopefully clear.

I never experienced any fever to high temperature, but did manage to lose about 4.5kgs in weight during the ordeal even with the extra calories going in.

As mentioned i’m relatively fit and slim for guy in his mid 40s as i train about 5-6 times week (weights, TRX, bodyweight exercises, battle ropes etc) and for me this wasn’t a particularly pleasant experience and not one I want to have again in hurry.

Not sure if I had the low symptoms, mild or harsh version but either way it was a ‘mare.

Anyway that’s my experience for those that were interested.

Any questions feel free to ask and thanks for your support guys.

Reactions: Hill28