Gym life.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering if we have any type 1s on here that are serious gym goers? I train 6 days a week as a minimum, sometimes 7 depending on how I feel. Recently I’ve cut out all cardio training & im focusing on Bodybuilding type of training. I’m working alongside a PT who controls all of my training schedule as well as my diet which changes week by week. Currently running a carb cycling diet which changes from a low carb day, medium carb day then a high carb day. With good control & accurate carb counting I can control my levels extremely well even on the high carb day.

3.5Yrs ago I was 17.7st, at the minute I’m 12.7st with a body fat % of around 18%. As predictable as it sounds the gym really is an escape for me which keeps my physically &
Mentally fit. During the lockdowns I seriously struggled with gyms being closed. In regards to my blood sugars while training I manage to keep them under reasonably good control with a slight raise during training.

Would be nice to hear other people’s training routines & how it affects there daily life with diabetes.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was an avid gym goer like your self but since the lock down I've been training at home using TRX, battle rops etc 5-6 times week. Do miss the big weights tho. I may buy myself the set of adjustable dumbbells.

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I don't do so much in the gym but I do a lot of fitness classes ( ex group fitness instructor for 14 years). I mostly do Body Pump (weights class), body combat, swimming, spin, yoga and barre and then lot's of long walks.
I was diagnosed diabetic in Feb this year and confirmed as type 1/lada in June. I've spent the last few months experimenting with insulin and exercise as I didn't want to change my fitness regime just because of my diagnosis. So far it's going really well and although I have to plan more, I really enjoy my exercise and feel so much stronger and fitter since starting insulin. Looking back now I can see how much my body was struggling, especially with heavy weights.
During lockdown I did a lot at home. Now the gyms are open again, I do a mix of home workouts and classes at the gym. I agree it really is such a release from everything...plus I find it really helps me manage my blood sugar so win win.

Reactions: Maco

bmtest

Keep at it when you have 40+ years in gym you will be glad you have and thank yourself.

It's an excellent way to control blood sugars.

Reactions: LaoDan

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wondering if we have any type 1s on here that are serious gym goers? I train 6 days a week as a minimum, sometimes 7 depending on how I feel. Recently I’ve cut out all cardio training & im focusing on Bodybuilding type of training. I’m working alongside a PT who controls all of my training schedule as well as my diet which changes week by week. Currently running a carb cycling diet which changes from a low carb day, medium carb day then a high carb day. With good control & accurate carb counting I can control my levels extremely well even on the high carb day.

3.5Yrs ago I was 17.7st, at the minute I’m 12.7st with a body fat % of around 18%. As predictable as it sounds the gym really is an escape for me which keeps my physically &
Mentally fit. During the lockdowns I seriously struggled with gyms being closed. In regards to my blood sugars while training I manage to keep them under reasonably good control with a slight raise during training.

Would be nice to hear other people’s training routines & how it affects there daily life with diabetes.
Don't know which tier you are in but I work in a gym as a trainer and I live in tier 4 (Surrey) so have no idea when the gym will be open again. Perversely I now have more time for exercise and lost fat/gained muscle during the first lockdown. Exercise is an important part of giving my furloughed day structure and I think it is the consistency of eating well and doing bodyweight stuff along with a lot dog walking that has worked well for me.
We will have to see how it goes this time now the weather is Wintry and there are buckets of chocolate lying around (not mine!)......
Sounds like you really enjoy the discipline of training and diet so the very structured way is good for you and doubtless good for your blood sugar control so I hope the gym is open or that you have a plan B or maybe got some home kit for Christmas. Good luck!

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't know which tier you are in but I work in a gym as a trainer and I live in tier 4 (Surrey) so have no idea when the gym will be open again. Perversely I now have more time for exercise and lost fat/gained muscle during the first lockdown. Exercise is an important part of giving my furloughed day structure and I think it is the consistency of eating well and doing bodyweight stuff along with a lot dog walking that has worked well for me.
We will have to see how it goes this time now the weather is Wintry and there are buckets of chocolate lying around (not mine!)......
Sounds like you really enjoy the discipline of training and diet so the very structured way is good for you and doubtless good for your blood sugar control so I hope the gym is open or that you have a plan B or maybe got some home kit for Christmas. Good luck!

Hi, I think this next week or so is going to be massively difficult for all us diabetics. My house is also full of chocolate & naughty treats, sugars have been all over since Xmas eve but I’m not worried. Straight back on my diet tomorrow & I even trained Xmas day morning.

I’m in tier 3, fortunately for me even though it’s very naughty I still had a gym to train in during all of the lockdown periods. The guy who owns the gym I train at is one of the very hardcore type of owners that was determined to stay open no matter what. Still managed 4 sessions a week during the lockdowns but it did become difficult toward the end. I’m expecting that County Durham will most likely join you guys in tier 4 just after new year, if the gym is forced to close I’ll probably go back to running on the streets which is most definitely my least favourite type of exercise but needs most I suppose.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I think this next week or so is going to be massively difficult for all us diabetics. My house is also full of chocolate & naughty treats, sugars have been all over since Xmas eve but I’m not worried. Straight back on my diet tomorrow & I even trained Xmas day morning.

I’m in tier 3, fortunately for me even though it’s very naughty I still had a gym to train in during all of the lockdown periods. The guy who owns the gym I train at is one of the very hardcore type of owners that was determined to stay open no matter what. Still managed 4 sessions a week during the lockdowns but it did become difficult toward the end. I’m expecting that County Durham will most likely join you guys in tier 4 just after new year, if the gym is forced to close I’ll probably go back to running on the streets which is most definitely my least favourite type of exercise but needs most I suppose.
Good for your gym owner. It is a travesty that any small business should be closed and particularly a gym which helps people stay sane and healthy. My clients are gutted though inevitably some gave up after last lockdown and mentally postponed getting healthy until January!
As for running even though I was a marathon runner I tend to encourage my clients to find a decent minute hill which they can run up fiercely and coast down so its more HiiT than chronic cardio. This will likely spike you so you could add on a calm walk afterwards particularly if it is sunny! Good luck and if you happen to not be able to get to the gym (tier 4 with gym owner losing his nerve) then your body may benefit from a bit of mobility and recovery work...

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I haven't been to a gym since March when I cancelled my membership due to Covid. I have a running machine at home, and a set of dumbbells and signed up for beachbodyondemand.com I particularly like Shaun T's transform 20. I own the Shaun T's insanity CD's which are a longer 50 to 60 minutes each. There are 100's of different workout programs on beachbody. I've worked through about 10 programmes so far such as 100-morning meltdown workouts, 80 day obsession, barre blend (with ballet), 21 day fix etc, etc

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I know this is in the Type 1 question, but I have a thought on your training, to influence glucose control. I would seriously recommend the X3 Bar (I have no affiliations or links). This is in my opinion the best home gym in the world. Yes it is initially expensive at circa £600.00 with the elite band to import (5 differing level bands for beginner to elite). Seems a lot for some custom bands, a bar and a base. But it is the best cost to performance aid I have come across, and better too than just bands, due to the levels of tension and torque than can be generated, compared to bands alone - nowhere near.

It can either replace or augment gym resistance training (and some cardio), and covers, deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press (I have made some of my own interpretations as well). I train in the gym at a level I would consider a notch below amateur competition levels, the X3 bar enables me to not only maintain, but to make gains also.

I think its USP, is that it is kind on the connecting tissues, can combine, cardio with resistance overload and allows one to safely train to failure (try doing that with a heavy barbell on your back without a spotter) and it is portable - during the summer I mixed walks and X3 training and maintained perfect glucose control.

Results. I have a home gym with traditional kit, but also a gym membership. I was very light on the home gym during the summer at around 60% of what I do in the gym. I focused on the X3 bar as an experiment. The X3 definitely strengthened my lower back (no more niggly minor ache), improved my grip strength (no longer feel grip limited on a real barbell at 80% or 1 rep max). I improved my 1 rep deadlift by 20%, and can lift everyday up to 80% of 1 rep max with no inner fatigue. Another benefit is being able to practice form, speed or slow reps and eccentric work also. Today so far I have done 25 x 4 deadlifts, 100 bicep curls split across 3 sets, with minimal rest leaving me slumped on the settee gasping.

Full time strongmen respect the heaviest elite band. Still excited by this device after a year.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know this is in the Type 1 question, but I have a thought on your training, to influence glucose control. I would seriously recommend the X3 Bar (I have no affiliations or links). This is in my opinion the best home gym in the world. Yes it is initially expensive at circa £600.00 with the elite band to import (5 differing level bands for beginner to elite). Seems a lot for some custom bands, a bar and a base. But it is the best cost to performance aid I have come across, and better too than just bands, due to the levels of tension and torque than can be generated, compared to bands alone - nowhere near.

It can either replace or augment gym resistance training (and some cardio), and covers, deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press (I have made some of my own interpretations as well). I train in the gym at a level I would consider a notch below amateur competition levels, the X3 bar enables me to not only maintain, but to make gains also.

I think its USP, is that it is kind on the connecting tissues, can combine, cardio with resistance overload and allows one to safely train to failure (try doing that with a heavy barbell on your back without a spotter) and it is portable - during the summer I mixed walks and X3 training and maintained perfect glucose control.

Results. I have a home gym with traditional kit, but also a gym membership. I was very light on the home gym during the summer at around 60% of what I do in the gym. I focused on the X3 bar as an experiment. The X3 definitely strengthened my lower back (no more niggly minor ache), improved my grip strength (no longer feel grip limited on a real barbell at 80% or 1 rep max). I improved my 1 rep deadlift by 20%, and can lift everyday up to 80% of 1 rep max with no inner fatigue. Another benefit is being able to practice form, speed or slow reps and eccentric work also. Today so far I have done 25 x 4 deadlifts, 100 bicep curls split across 3 sets, with minimal rest leaving me slumped on the settee gasping.

Full time strongmen respect the heaviest elite band. Still excited by this device after a year.

Hi, thanks for that I’ll certainly look into it. Personally I’m not keen on training at home, can’t really get fired up enough compared to training alongside someone etc. Just out of curiosity, what sort of weight are you doing for 25 reps for 4 sets?
At 80% of my one rep Max I wouldn’t manage many more then 8/10 reps.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi, thanks for that I’ll certainly look into it. Personally I’m not keen on training at home, can’t really get fired up enough compared to training alongside someone etc. Just out of curiosity, what sort of weight are you doing for 25 reps for 4 sets?
At 80% of my one rep Max I wouldn’t manage many more then 8/10 reps.
It's with the X3 bar and black band I am doing the 4 sets. Here's what the equivalence is said to be:

https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/support/x3-specs/x3-bands-weight/

I would say for reps the black band is more like 80 kg on a bar bell. I only ever do a single set for 20 @ 120 kg once in while with a bar bell. My max is 225 kg at circa 90 kg body weight, so I like doing 5's at 160 ad 3's at 180.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
When Singapore was in lockdown, I bought a bunch of bands and a set of dumbbells. While not optimal, I was able get a bit creative with the bands, enough to get an okay workout. We were able to exercise outside, so I would wrap two bands around some playground equipment to do flyes lol. I know it’s not the same as clanking iron but, but hey .,,

Kash2001

Hi all, although not a gym monkey I've always done exercise since leaving school. Everything is a gym to me, a chair, lawn, tree it doesn't matter if its solid enough to take my weight 13.5 stone I'll use it.

I use to train 5/6 days a week, inc quite a bit of heavier weights. I tend to use heavy resistance bands as it's kinder to joints and you get full resistance all the way. Now at 54, I am turning more to running fields and cardio still with weights to condition muscles and give them something to think of.

For me, I recently found the benefits of this lifestyle and regime as I had a massive low and was unconscious for a while before being found. I'd just finished an exercise session but was knackered and laid down for a rest sign of age. Anyway wife struggled to get much response so she called an ambulance. I did recover myself with the wifes help just enough before they arrived.

Anyway the paramedics were great and had a sense of humour, they did an ecg to check if heart was OK, they had to double check it and then hit it as the reading was of a 20 year old. One of them said I'd be happy with that myself

Anyway I guess it just goes to show if you train right and are focused it can pay dividends.

Look after yourselves, train hard and vary the routines massively as it helps balance out the body structure and system.

Atb for 2021

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I have had diabetes 40 years and tried thoughout that time to lead as fit a life as I could , this involved rugby American football etc so the gym was part of my life , I’ve had quite a few serious complications due my poor attitude to my diabetic control when I was younger ( the old young invincible thing ). But was told by a surgeon that basically I shouldn’t be here and only was due to being fit , as I’ve got older the gym has become less a part of my life but I still keep fit by pushing a few weights sit ups , combined with lots of fresh air,
Keep up the good work as it will definitely benefit you in later life

Flowertown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I go to the gym 5 times a week, really hoping I don't get moved into tier 4 because its my only escape at the moment.

I have been looking at Pelotons at home but not sure if I can justify the price haha

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I go to the gym 5 times a week, really hoping I don't get moved into tier 4 because its my only escape at the moment.

I have been looking at Pelotons at home but not sure if I can justify the price haha

That’s the same for me, it gets said quite a lot but the gym is my escape. I have a few friends who all train & I get on well with the gym owner so it’s as much about being social as it is about training. Luckily for me even though I’m in tier 4 I’m still sneaking into the gym.

I looked at Peloton before but isn’t the back something like £2,000 + then your subscription? I think I’d rather go for a run on the street or even buy a treadmill

Flowertown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That’s the same for me, it gets said quite a lot but the gym is my escape. I have a few friends who all train & I get on well with the gym owner so it’s as much about being social as it is about training. Luckily for me even though I’m in tier 4 I’m still sneaking into the gym.

I looked at Peloton before but isn’t the back something like £2,000 + then your subscription? I think I’d rather go for a run on the street or even buy a treadmill

Yep, Peloton is expensive. I do a lot of my cardio during a spin class, I normally go to the classes at my PureGym but they've stopped them at the moment with everything going on. I'd love to get into outdoor running but I can never find myself motivated to do so, think I've got used to being inside at a gym haha.

I have found that since the lockdown and we are all at home more, I have found it easier to stay on track with a low carb/keto diet since I've got more time to cook and less time going out with friends, I suppose that is a benefit.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
since the lock down I've been training at home using TRX, battle rops etc 5-6 times week
I'm very interested that you are managing battle ropes at home. Details? I am imagining expensive to buy, awkward to store and sending the furniture flying when in use???