Depression and Diabetes

claytonstra

Hi Guys,

I have never posted in one of these forums before but I have been having a rough time recently and I just feel so lonely dealing with diabetes most of the time that I thought I'd try and see if anyone else is interested in what I have to say.

Does anyone find that you can go through huge, mind altering mood swings and bouts of depression due to diabetes? I find that my anxiety level is always pretty much near its maximum and I'm almost always unhappy. My neutral/usual state is one of pretty intense depression and when I wake up and I don't feel like it will be a huge challenge to perform my daily tasks due to my mental health I'm like 'oh wow that's lucky, what a one off'.

Although I regularly feel this way it definitely comes and goes and at some times is a lot worse than others, and it just makes me wonder, is this to do with my type 1 diabetes? I was diagnosed around 7 years ago now and I definitely don't remember feeling this depressed at any point before then.

I just really want to be able to go about my day and do things without feeling like I have to not only deal with my blood sugars but also my almost constant depression and I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way and if so does anyone have any advice on how to deal with it?

Thanks,

Reactions: Lawrence73

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and welcome to the forum.
@claytonstra , I have severe anxiety and depression, I have also a condition that needs attention to detail with everything that I have to eat.

Diabetes and other metabolic conditions have as a symptom of anxiety and depression, that is part of having a condition where you blood glucose levels can drop very quickly. In my case, I can go from mid teens to hypo levels within four hours.
But I've not replied because of that, other T1s will help with their experience with those symptoms.
I will give you my experience with depression and anxiety. It happened about six months ago. I was made redundant, for no reason whatsoever.
I was in dispute with my company. By the time I got a deal, my head was all over the place, with the wife, covid and family, it was just one thing after another. And I stopped eating properly.
The final straw was angry about something, and my wife did something that made me worse. I was raging at her, stupidly, because I didn't need to, it wasn't me!
I suddenly realised I was being totally wrong and there was something in my brain that was happening.
My life was in the pan and I had a severe breakdown. My brain actually cracked, and I had a headache for a couple of weeks which was tender to touch like a bruise when you bash your head.
I'm stupid because the wife is disabled and she was trying to help me.

Anyway, I eventually had a long talk to my wife and she insisted that I speak to other members of my family, who all agreed that I needed help, not just from them but from my doctor and mental health counselling.
I took the first step by asking my surgery for a phone appointment.
This call lasted more than an hour, a number of things happen after that, I felt a little better, plus I was referred to a service called mindtalk. I also had to have a face to face appointment with my GP. Which lead to me having quite a few lengthy discussions with counsellors and doctors and being put on sertraline.
Which is an anti depressants. I was put through all the usual annual tests for my RH and got sent for scans. I have had to deal with lockdown, having to go shopping, because the wife is shielding, having to do all or most of the chores, and try to keep busy, so I'm not thinking about how I feel. And financial problems.
Talking is so important, so is making that first step.
You have said that you know what is happening. Give the people who deal with this all the time a chance to help you deal with your problems.
I did, I'm nowhere near normal, but at least I'm on my way.
Six months of not working, at my age is really painful, when I've never been out of work all my life. Six months of trying to get my life back.
I battled through most of this century to get my health back, I'm not going to give in to this thing!
Speak to someone, taking helps, those that are trained will almost certainly help, and if you need meds to help, oh yes they do!

Keep calm, keep safe and talk, take that first step.

Best wishes, if you want to talk to me on here, you can do.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes all the time , i have severe anxiety panic ptsd . Diagnosis makes it worse , but then I also read that anxiety can cause type 2.
If you can get good care and therapy you are lucky. My gp surgery are not bothered one bit .
For panic I found the 54321 method helpful and breathing exercises . Everything to do with my condition I have had to find myself .
I hope you feel better soon and get the support you need .

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I think with the covid thing and restrictions is making people depressed . I'm depressed most of the time .

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Welcome!

I suffer with GAD and severe depression.
Type 1 diabetes has made it a completely different ball game where most of the time I do sit and ponder on what my quality of life even is anymore. I do my best to speak to people as I found when I was first diagnosed nobody really knew how to approach me. On the basis they thought inviting me for meals was selfish and I lost a lot of friends through the fact they thought I could be a burden if uncontrolled.

in the past few weeks I have been working hard to think a bit differently, I have been brushing my hair, cleaning, enjoying being sociable again, showering everyday and cooking my own meals, I have been monitoring my sugars, but not obsessively - because I’ve identified that I tend to panic if my level is over 9mmol - the panic and worry makes it rise more and then I seem to hit the panic button and end up in ruin. Small steps to happiness is the goal that I’ve set, I hope one day I can feel truly happy again and accept my diagnosis as being part of who I am, not a burden to bear.

You are not alone in this. You will never be alone in this.

Tom-stick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos...
Hello,

Having t1 diabetes has always affected me in some way. I have generalised anxiety disorder and OCD but I can be a nightmare! I don’t know where you’re based, but if you’re in the UK reach out to steps to wellbeing or iTalk. They are a great service and can help

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my 1st encounter with "the black dog" at 17 and just thought that was how everyone was. Luckily (for me) my Mum had had MHI's of her own and got me help before I could do something permanent. These days I can spot myself when he's trying to make an appearance and ask for help myself. I do find that a Vit D supplement helps during the winter when I'm susceptible to SAD, and exercise helps too, but you've made the 1st step by saying out loud that you need help - whether that be talking, or chemical there is no shame in asking for it. My anxiety is generally controllable although it can make me a little short tempered at times, and I try not to let it stop me from doing anything (don't always succeed, but it's a bit like keeping your BG's under control, don't give up) Big (virtual) Hugs

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
This is my first post here. It's nice to be able to read all of the nice words from everyone. So I'm 33 (just) and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in September of this year, after wandering around for 3 months or more with a failed pancreas. 99 on the blood test, kidney function of an 80 year old and ready to collapse. I've had UC since I was a teen and the docs suspect that I've been in the prediabetic zone since then too. It's a massive change, I'm fit, strong and active and it just blew me away how fragile we can be. I suffered some real mental health turmoil last year due to some bad decisions made by my partner which just completely broke my soul and ended in an eruption of anger and hate. It wasn't nice at all and was the darkest moment of my life. I seeked help and luckily I have the best work colleagues and family and I'm still here. I used sertraline, I really recommend it, hard to begin with but it really does reset you and we all need that sometimes. Especially in this modern world. I've always been anxious and had bouts of depression but it is possible to get better. Just remember you're beautiful and smile...smile alot, it helps. I wish you all a merry Christmas and hope to speak to you all more.

bmtest

The diabetes may be getting you depressed but only you can compare your pre and post diabetes life.

Some things are factual it always annoyed me in early years I could not eat the same volume of vanilla slices and to this day it still does.

Acceptance of condition must hapoen 1st and the control measure you must learn also.

When this is achieved there is very little difference from having diabetes or not im theory.

But anothet thing that annoys me is never being able to switch off and being prepared and carrying some sort of bag everywhere is constant pain.

So enjoy the little pleasure and build on them it could be worse.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand the rules of engagement, the health care support team understand the rules, you on here understand the rules.

I wish my body understood the rules!

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Totally get what you're going through, been going through something similar recently.
I would definitely recommend speaking to your nurse, after I spoke to mine regarding my mood swings and feelings of depression they arranged for me to speak to a diabetic psychologist which really helped. It gave me personal techniques to help deal with the stress and anxiety of being type 1

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand the rules of engagement, the health care support team understand the rules, you on here understand the rules.

I wish my body understood the rules!
My body hasn't even read the book, let alone understood the rules!

HessianHerman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've struggled for a long time with depression and anxiety. For me, it's always going to be there in the background. What I have managed to do though is formulate healthier coping mechanisms, a sort of sequence of steps that if I follow, doesn't allow me to sink any deeper into bad mental health. It took a long time, but for the most part I am rather happy these days. But its a personal process, and therefore unique.

I drank alcohol pretty much none stop from the age of 16 til about 24. I had a problem. My problem was fuelled by my poor mental health. My poor mental health was fuelled by my drinking. I didn't enjoy life without something altering my perception. It was not fun. And when I quit, I didn't just quit drinking, but I essentially killed off the 'old' me entirely, and started again from the ground up. It was a very painful process, but it was a vital one.

I am very sorry to hear you are struggling. And if you're anything like me, kind words and people trying to help, it doesn't really... Help. Some days, it just doesn't go in. But what I can say is that pain is wisdom, and through pain, ever so gradually, comes a transformation. You are here, you are alive, and so long as you are then there's always light. We are all connected. You are not alone. You're never alone. Try to remember that.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
After getting Christmas and New year out of the way, I found a bit of relief, it wasn't that it was difficult to get through cos I do enjoy it, I've seen all the grandkids by zoom and some of them in person those socially distant.
I think that I'm finding myself alone most of the time and it's helping. I'm not lonely, but my anxiety levels are really good.
I do my chores through the day and try to keep as busy as I can.
The days are long and at this time of the year dark. I have found also that the cold gets to me now! It's coincidental that when I go cold, my mood drops. And it has spoilt my walks, even though I get wrapped up, I can't stay out for long.
I know I can see myself actually coming to terms with how the depression has got me, and I think I feel that there is hope, and somehow a life in retirement.
I'm determined to get there where ever it is.
If you know, please post it.

I'm reading more, I can't watch the day go by and the television is really poor, so many repeats and old films.

If I could find something that could get me through this latest lockdown, and be something I could enjoy to help me until I can get out in the sun again.
I'm still worried about covid, but not as much, we have to shield, We could really do with getting the vaccine, I think that would ease some of the moods I feel. And would certainly help the wife.

Sorry, to ramble about my circumstances.

This year is a big year for the family, my clan has a wedding (hopefully), it's our 40th wedding anniversary, my daughter's got a big birthday and to top that, two of my grandsons have their 21st birthdays. It should be fun, but I'm in two minds about whether to be spending so much, when my bank account is screaming for additional funds. But regardless, the year will be memorable, I hope!

Maybe, Boris and covid may have different ideas!

Stay safe, I'm talking to people, and it is helping.
Do talk, it will get your frustrations out there and if you find a good listener, that is so important.
Best wishes

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry you are feeling this way - I am not sure if there is a scientific link between anxiety and depression and type 1 diabetes but the mental and physical toll of dealing with high and low blood sugars, insulin and food create these feelings from all of us at times I think. I suffer from anxiety related to my diabetes that I find debilitating at times so you are certainly not alone.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry you are feeling this way - I am not sure if there is a scientific link between anxiety and depression and type 1 diabetes but the mental and physical toll of dealing with high and low blood sugars, insulin and food create these feelings from all of us at times I think. I suffer from anxiety related to my diabetes that I find debilitating at times so you are certainly not alone.

Hi, @Stefp
Of course, I have no evidence what I say is actually true, the scientific reason would be a lot more longer words and go deeper into the how, why and what.
I use my experience of the last twenty years of symptoms, hypos and how it effects my health.
But through all all this, keeping a food diary and noting down everything. I have increasingly noticed that fluctuating blood glucose levels, cause symptoms including especially anxiety. My body and more importantly my brain likes me in normal range continuously, and my symptoms recede.
I appreciate that there is help for me, my GP has been brilliant since July, and I am getting through this, slowly.
Having few symptoms on top of my depression and anxiety, due to my dietary decisions, keeps my worrisome brain a little bit better.

Stay safe, and thanks.
This forum is so helpful to our needs.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Panic and anxiety sometimes can be part of the game. I mean it's part of the equation for people with no issues and health that is in great shape, so it comes it is no wonder that having diabetes and being depressed is sometimes a reality you have to face.

Since diagnosis, my anxiety was just a symptom of the continuous hypers/hypos rollercoaster I had been going through. Similar to a sore throat when you have a cold.
So, when I managed to control my bloods through very low carb and losing weight, my health improved, and the anxiety went away.

No time in my life, through adversity in my life, j have never had depression ever. I have only suffered a mild type of anxiety.

Since last summer, my world got turned upside down and I had a breakdown.
This set of circumstances really hit me so hard, I do believe that I have suffered mental illness that I have my GP phoning me every week, just to make sure that I'm okay. I am in counselling, I had a session yesterday, and afterwards, I was so tired and down, the process of churning over the fear, the ominous news, the circumstances, the wife and family, because they are all working, and the threat that I'm the only one who goes out, makes me believe that if the wife gets covid, it is me that may kill her.
That is not rational, it is illogical and awful.
I can't help it.
And it makes me think, that all my family would be better off, if I went away.
Again not rational.
I just want the world to leave me alone.
I want to go back to the days, when I was happy.
I want a lot of things, but deep down, that is not going to happen.
I'm trying to live my life one day at a time.
I want to feel as if getting somewhere, and I am, I have targets, I have issues unresolved, but I will beat this.

You just can't differentiate between symptoms and actually being diagnosed with another condition.
For example, I have a condition that is an actual condition that has been diagnosed.
But having explored the reasons for having RH, people with some type of diabetes and other metabolic conditions, will have the symptoms of RH without having the condition.

Stay safe