Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Good idea about raising the bowl, I remember years ago a dog struggling eating with a cone on. They have soft ones now which are more comfortable and even inflatable donuts which are much more comfortable but can’t prevent all the behaviors that a hard cone can.

Masses of people trying to get into Volcano park lookouts to see the eruptions, they look pretty spectacular as they are contained to the cone area only. But this is the same volcano that covered towns and 4 square miles with lava in 2018. They are mostly not social distancing and they are thinking of closing access. Lines of cars waiting hours right now to try to get to the view access sites..

We are over 300 miles away, the farthest away of the main islands. One reason we moved here is there are no active volcanoes on our island. Land is cheaper on the Big Island, air quality can be bad on parts of it and it has 4 volcanoes plus one offshore. Home to Mauna Lao the largest active volcano in the world. I think most of the land is sitting on a volcano there. Nope wasn’t going to move there!!!! They have great snorkeling though lol, we will visit eventually.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Good morning all

Had some lovely days off but now back to work for 1 and a half day. Today I am managing the social media platform usually I deal with complaints so hoping it’s not too busy!

In other news our Jack Russell hurt his paw while playing with our other dog and we had to take him to the vets for his nail to be removed as it had become cracked. He’s all okay now!

I can’t believe how busy the shops are getting! I have one last outing to do on Christmas Eve just for some brioche bread and some various cheeses and we are all done here. Hope everyone’s ready and doesn’t have to go back out into crazyville! I just have the poorest memory so I now have a list! Got my Christmas prescription to pick up today too! Need those test strips before everything closes!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! Well, don't talk to me about memory @Choosehappy. I got everything on my shopping list yesterday except cream, which the supermarket had run out of - or the delivery hadn't come in as I was there just after 7am. The problem was what I'd forgotten to put on the list :banghead: Luckily the friend who's now joining me on Christmas Day lives about a mile and a half away in a small town, so she's picking up what I forgot or couldn't get.

Back to being the proud recipient of a five badge this morning, let's hope it stays that way. All set for very wet walking this morning :arghh: Hope your day goes well.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Thought I’d write. I not been in touch for long time. Thought I’d share with u my experience so far since my diagnosis last year June. So far had 2 lows of 3.8 but 2nd 3.8 felt mini hypo not serious. My highest has been 17.3 but that was in Kos Greece was very hot. In general my levels are still very good control. :) as it’s Xmas I’m not holding back lol. Think holiday romance has finished but I am enjoying it so far. Ask me in another 10 years. :)

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi guys

Really scared and confused... going to ring the clinic tomorrow but just thought I’d share see if anyone has ever experienced this

So I had been running around and noticed my bg was really low 2.8 I then realised I hadn’t taken my basal insulin (first day I have been so clumsy just been so busy) so I ate 4 glucose tablets and two quality street chocolates cus I knew I would be running around some more. I waited abit took my basal and checked again my blood sugars were all of a sudden 16, so I checked again 1 minute later and it said 6, I checked again straight away it said 19 so I then switched to another machine and it said 6 straight after, checked again it just said HI (libre) then checked on them both together within seconds they both said 7.2 and one said 7.6

i am just nearly in tears because both my machines can’t possibly be broken, this is the first time I have ever noticed this type of fluctuation in readings so quickly, literally all these readings were taken within seconds of one another, I’m really scared and don’t understand what just happened. I now also don’t trust my machines at all. I have checked my keytones just in case, appersntly they are 0.1 but how do I even believe the machines when they were both showing such fluctuations within mere seconds, is that even possible?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
so I ate 4 glucose tablets and two quality street chocolates
Can it be there was some residu of the tabs or chocolate on your finger when testing?
The sixes and sevens seem to add up. Was the HI by Libre a blood test or a scan?

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Can it be there was some residu of the tabs or chocolate on your finger when testing?
The sixes and sevens seem to add up. Was the HI by Libre a blood test or a scan?
Hi @Antje77 the HI was a finger prick test it didn’t give me a number it just said HI I am keeping a close eye on it now and both machines seem to now be consistent, your theory regarding chocolate/sugar in finger could be true

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 the HI was a finger prick test it didn’t give me a number it just said HI I am keeping a close eye on it now and both machines seem to now be consistent, your theory regarding chocolate/sugar in finger could be true
In that case it very much sounds like a case of Dirty Finger!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Anything on your hands, especially something sweet will influence the reading. So when you have an unexplained high, it's always best to wash your hands then test again. Unfortunately we are bound to rely on these devices, but there can be errors. It can be frustrating.

Wait until you wake up to an alert that says you are super low and you are half awake so you eat something without wondering why it hadn't alerted you before you got so low, and test again 15 minutes later to find you have now skyrocketed. Compression low, never was truly a low...............it can happen when you lay on your sensor. But when you are half awake, you don't always think logically.

Or even this and I know better, the next morning after applying a new sensor the night before, I look at my reading and it says I'm a 10, I have bad DP sometimes so I gave myself a correction dose and then I realized, gee it's a new sensor, I haven't checked it's accuracy yet. Do a finger prick and I'm really 6.8, but now I have to eat something to make up for the insulin I took.

Sigh, things happen................

Reactions: Technician87

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Jupiter and Saturn tonight.

upload_2020-12-23_19-29-8.png

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, off to the enclosed field to give my girl a run with her friend. Unfortunately the heavy rain around here yesterday means we'll be in a sea of mud. The dogs won't care but it'll mean a bath when we get home. My car also defo needs a clean after the last time, so I'm glad I haven't bothered to do it yet :hilarious: When I get home it's cooking; avery untraditional Christmas cake, my version of Key lime pie and home-made sausage rolls. I won'tbe eating much of any of them but I'm cooking as my friend is coming and it gives me a reason to make things I enjoy cooking but don't bother with as I wouldn't usually eat them.

Hope you all have a good day and that you have a day to look forward to tomorrow, even if it's not exactly what you'd have liked.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Better safe than sorry Mei.

My OH's daughter developed a rare oral cancer in her early 40s (so clearly a chunk older than you), but she needed invasive surgery to be rid of it, so I am pretty impassioned about any unexplained or persistent lesions - especially as her dentist brushed off the potential for it to be sinister.

Again, please don't think I post that to scare you. I don't, but to explain a little why I can be persistent myself over having things looked at.

Is the doc doing what he needs to do to get things moving?

I’m sorry to hear, don’t worry I scared myself with Dr Google. My GP said he’ll refer me to the hospital, I don’t know how long so could be a couple of months.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Jupiter and Saturn tonight.

View attachment 46417
Wonderful!
Here it was all cloudy, so nothing to see.

Been thinking about you and Kai, as last saturday it was a year ago I lost my own dog. Hope the missing is not too overwhelming, and I wanted to send you another hug.

Merry christmas everyone!

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Sending good wishes for Christmas with peace, happiness and good health for 2021. I hope the new year ahead will be a positive one for all X

View attachment 46444
Merry Christmas everyone, thank you for being kind, thank you for your support, it’s my first Christmas with diabetes, but it’s a special one, with my partner and dog children x and @MeiChanski yes I have planned cheesecake for dessert so I’m guessing the old bg might take a hit but you know what I’m gonna enjoy it!!