Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
On May 14, 1796, Jenner took fluid from a cowpox blister and scratched it into the skin of James Phipps, an eight-year-old boy. A single blister rose up on the spot, but James soon recovered. On July 1, Jenner inoculated the boy again, this time with smallpox matter, and no disease developed. The vaccine was a success.

In 1979 Smallpox was officially declared as eradicated just 183 years later I hope it doesn't take that long to rid us of covid 19 and it's variants.
We have yearly anti-flu jabs to deal with mutations.
Can’t help but have some respect for the Coronas’ successes, they just don’t give up. Don’t want to be a breeding machine for them though.

Max68

The people who first extracted Covid DNA and the creators of the vaccines have worked amazingly, incredibly swiftly during the past eleven months. I just hope they’ve not become too broken by long hours to continue.
Like I said in another post, the RNA vaccines are, I think, adaptable to new strains. I just hope that we all have the stamina to continue our avoidance of situations which can exacerbate the spread.
I suspect I’ll be working online for the next year or so; so far it’s been ok though Charnwood Council have decided to bring in new regulations that require more input than I can achieve online. They’re the only Council to do this during the pandemic and it’s left me, and others, figuratively tearing our hair out.
I have to add that I’ve not visited a hairdresser since February and am having to find ‘oldie’ ways to deal with the length - I’m beginning to look more and more like a throwback to the oldies of my youth, the ones whose hair was in strange twists and knots and always escaping.

I'm lucky as I brought a hair trimmer although first attempt I had the setting a tad short and ended up looking like Forrest Gump!

Was chuntering to myself under my breath this morning. Went for a walk to a local shop and down the odd footpath or two through some picturesque woods. Must have passed about 15 people coming the other way and it was me that moved onto the grass every time! Shoes nice and wet and muddy, maybe I'm too cautious hence why no one else seems to bother! Maybe we should all start walking on the left like we drive on the roads! :banghead:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We have yearly anti-flu jabs to deal with mutations.
Can’t help but have some respect for the Coronas’ successes, they just don’t give up. Don’t want to be a breeding machine for them though.
There are four strains of flu virus A,B,C and D.

Human influenza A and B viruses cause seasonal epidemics of disease (known as the flu season).

Sometimes the A strain virus changes radically via mutations and that it why there are occasional global pandemics as in the 1918 pandemic

Type C normally causes mild illness and type D does not effect us but mainly infects cattle.

The flu is probably with us for ever I hope Covid is not. But it could be in future we will get our yearly flue jabs and yearly covid jabs

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'll be last in line for the vaccine.
I'm not anti vax but I am cautious vax.
Plenty of you seem to be eager to be guinea pigs so I hope it works for you.
I am not the sort to take experimental medicines.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Our GP next door neighbour’s had hers, so have my brother and sister-in-law. They’re still standing. No adverse reactions.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
All you have to do is Watch the thread, and you will receive a notification when there's new activity on it.

Only if the email notification preference is ticked, which I don't do anymore because of the constant mobile alerts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

All new medicines and vaccinations are experimental, if people didn't volunteer or have some faith,, vaccines couldn't be used and I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for Insulin............. just to add, it's sensible to be a little cautious, I am, but I would rather have it.
edited.

Reactions: Max68
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What fills me with absolute dread is I if the new South African strain gets out here. They are saying it seriously affects the young. If that happens and we start seeing deaths in fit young people, rather then the so called expendable elderly and vulnerable, there is going to have to be a major rethink.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter also an 11 yr old granddaughter with Type 1 diabetes :wideyed:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only if the email notification preference is ticked, which I don't do anymore because of the constant mobile alerts

That's not the case. If you Watch a thread, you have a choice of having email notifications, plus an alert up on the top right of your browser window, or just an on-screen alert. You can also choose whether you have emails at a thread level.

You receive one alert when there is a new post. If there are 2,4 or 44 new posts since you last visited the thread, you would see one alert.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That doesn’t happen for me, @Robinredbreast .
Just beneath the thread title, on the left, there is an option to ‘watch thread’. Click that and it is in notifications on my profile pic at top right when I log on to the site. This does not trigger email notifications. Which I agree can get a bit too much.

Reactions: Max68
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's not the case. If you Watch a thread, you have a choice of having email notifications, plus an alert up on the top right of your browser window, or just an on-screen alert. You can also choose whether you have emails at a thread level.

You receive one alert when there is a new post. If there are 2,4 or 44 new posts since you last visited the thread, you would see one alert.[/QUOTE

I have just looked at my alert preferences and the box is ticked, so I will un-tick it, go through the rest of my preferences then re-tick the alert box and go from there :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

When anyone posts on any thread it automatically becomes a watched thread. We don't have to ask for this. I had no idea this thread had been moved but it has made no difference to me. I still got the alerts (top right). Emails have always been disabled.

Max68

On a lighter note I received a card from my part time employer today, which has been closed down for most of the year! Lovely card with two chocolate coins and a "tea bag" enclosed!¬! Not sure I have ever had such a bizarre Christmas present as a tea bag. Quintessentially British!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Judith is working from home and thus far has no idea when she will be returning full time to the office though there are the odd days when she has been asked to go into the office at the hospital to cover for staff who are on a leave of absence.

She has noted that many patients are still enquiring as to whether the vaccines are live vaccines or not the pfizer covid vaccine has been determined to be a non live vaccine but the medics are not sure about the Oxford vaccine as yet, live vaccines can be problematic for some people.

"Patients with JIA or other rheumatology conditions receiving steroids, DMARDs or biologics should receive all routine non-live vaccinations, although potentially these may not be quite as effective. The Green Book states that live vaccines are safe for patients receiving low-dose DMARDs and low dose oral corticosteroids. Those on biologic medications should not receive live vaccines. "

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/oxparc/professionals/vaccination-advice.aspx

Of course one slight problem is Insulin is now classed as a biologic.

Reactions: becca59

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
All new medicines and vaccinations are experimental, if people didn't volunteer or have some faith,, vaccines couldn't be used and I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for Insulin............. just to add, it's sensible to be a little cautious, I am, but I would rather have it.
edited.
Experimental as in most vaccines are tried and tested for ten to fifteen years and no they haven't worked on this for years.
There is no such thing as a simple vaccine as they are all quite complex.
I think my wait and see attitude is best for me.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Our GP next door neighbour’s had hers, so have my brother and sister-in-law. They’re still standing. No adverse reactions.
Good but that is very short term if you don't mind me saying.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When anyone posts on any thread it automatically becomes a watched thread. We don't have to ask for this. I had no idea this thread had been moved but it has made no difference to me. I still got the alerts (top right). Emails have always been disabled.

I un-ticked my alert preference, maybe I had a tech glitch ? then re-ticked the alert box and an alert has just come through.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just a thought is the Oxford vaccine vegan as it is produced using a cell lines obtained originally in 1983 from tissue from aborted human fetuses.

It did worry me as a Catholic but the Vatican has said in this instance it's OK but also to follow your own conscience.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Robinredbreast Thanks for that link, I was not being sarcastic in any way it was a genuine question arising from my own ponderings on the ethical connotations associated with the vaccine.

For me at the moment is the question of is the Oxford vaccine a live vaccine more pertinent and as I am on a relatively high dosage of steroids that if it is a live vaccine should I take it or would I even be offered it.

Things are very confused.