Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

flo_oni

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, all!

Happy to be here. I was diagnosed early this year, and have managed to get weight down from 89 kg to 62.7 kg with diet, exercise, and once a day metformin of 1g.

My last A1C was 5.6 with FBS of 89, but occasionally break my diet. :(

Hope to be able to get and give support on here. :)

Btw, Merry Christmas!

Best,

Flo

Reactions: mcdark and xfieldok
Welcome to the forum. I assume you are T2. When you say metformin no longer works, have you adapted your diet at all. Read the link in my signature.
New to taking insulin, not new to having Diabetes. I will try and explain why I've been put on insulin but it is a long story going back to 2008/09.
I started with bleeding from my bottom, went to A&E had loads of test done and different X-Rays, after a couple of hours they decided to admit me into a ward. I started going in and out of concieness, very shortly I was taken to operation theatre. My husband was asked to sign for me as I only had an hour to live. Next I remember was two weeks later, when they bought me out of the induced coma. Hubby told me what had been happening, gradually as I became more aware. My operation was removal of my large bowel and a iliostomy so now have a stoma. Where my body went into toxic shock it affected my Pancreas.

That's when I was found to have Diabetes and put on Metformin.
Last November 2019 I became very ill again and was admitted into a ward, I had developed hearna and a lot of my intestine had got trapped in the hearna.
Diabetes meds working well, checks every six months.
Gradually since 2019 and because of self isolation covid, I hadn't left the house for check ups, believing it not safe to go out.
When I thought I should in October 2020 my blood sugar was over ten.
I will just explain for people who don't know, having an iliostomy means everything goes through the system in six hours so much quicker that includes metformin, before it has chance to break down and work. This is the reason my meds were changed to insulin.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New to taking insulin, not new to having Diabetes. I will try and explain why I've been put on insulin but it is a long story going back to 2008/09.
I started with bleeding from my bottom, went to A&E had loads of test done and different X-Rays, after a couple of hours they decided to admit me into a ward. I started going in and out of concieness, very shortly I was taken to operation theatre. My husband was asked to sign for me as I only had an hour to live. Next I remember was two weeks later, when they bought me out of the induced coma. Hubby told me what had been happening, gradually as I became more aware. My operation was removal of my large bowel and a iliostomy so now have a stoma. Where my body went into toxic shock it affected my Pancreas.

That's when I was found to have Diabetes and put on Metformin.
Last November 2019 I became very ill again and was admitted into a ward, I had developed hearna and a lot of my intestine had got trapped in the hearna.
Diabetes meds working well, checks every six months.
Gradually since 2019 and because of self isolation covid, I hadn't left the house for check ups, believing it not safe to go out.
When I thought I should in October 2020 my blood sugar was over ten.
I will just explain for people who don't know, having an iliostomy means everything goes through the system in six hours so much quicker that includes metformin, before it has chance to break down and work. This is the reason my meds were changed to insulin.
Gosh, you have been through the mill. You will get lots of support on this forum. I am currently on insulin for steroids.

Thank you for your reply xfieldok. I am confused, on how to use the forum, food, diabetic nurse said not to much carbs or fruit, I guess everyone's situation is different with what we can have. I'm losing weight, which I will have to discuss on the 5Jan21 as I don't need to as I'm 8st 12.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try upping the fats and proteins to stop weight loss.

I found the forum hard to navigate when I first started, you do get the hang of it though. Carbs are not great for diabetes and we normally recommend berries.

Polymorphic

Hello everybody, recently joined and pleased to be here after having read quite a few of the previous posts.
The story so far, 2005 given simvastatin to help lower a cholesterol of about 6 (which had always been quite acceptable in the past) and then received regular check ups with the doctor to monitor.
In 2010, was classed as pre-diabetic with a fasting bg of average 8, subsequently classed as type2 in 2012 and given metformin and dietary advice. I would say active exercise wise as my job involves looking after a 50acre site which involves a fair bit of walking - easy to attain the 10000 step a day.
Initial dose of metformin was 1g daily split, diet mainly protein, and veg, very few carbs.
Fasting bg has always been around 8, A1C remained constant at around 47-49.
In 2015, metformin increased to 2g daily (split) plus Sitagliptin once a day, this did not result in any great change in morning bg, still being around 7 - 8, A1C 49 at last test in October this year.
During the October doctor visit this year Triglycerides had increased substantially, probably due to my exercise levels dropping off during this Covid 19 pandemic.
Simvastatin was stopped, Atorvastatin was substituted at 80mg - max dose I believe, TriGs dropped but many side effects, mainly weight gain, morning bgs at 10 -12,nausea etc.
Atorvastatin reduced in December to 40mg, some side effects reduced but bg still high in the morning, mainly in excess of 10.
I have read that Statins have a tendancy to raise bg levels and I am firmly of the belief that the administration of these drugs 15 years ago contributed to my current condition.
I would also say that I have never suffered from any of the associated side effects of diabetes in any way, shape or form, not even passing glucose in urine.
Quite frankly I begin to wonder what is normal, as my father, when tested with my kit averaged 7 -9 morning bg, has never taken a pill in his life for either blood pressure or cholesterol, is moderately active with all his marbles at the grand age of 96!
Best regards to all and a Happy New Year.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everybody, recently joined and pleased to be here after having read quite a few of the previous posts.
The story so far, 2005 given simvastatin to help lower a cholesterol of about 6 (which had always been quite acceptable in the past) and then received regular check ups with the doctor to monitor.
In 2010, was classed as pre-diabetic with a fasting bg of average 8, subsequently classed as type2 in 2012 and given metformin and dietary advice. I would say active exercise wise as my job involves looking after a 50acre site which involves a fair bit of walking - easy to attain the 10000 step a day.
Initial dose of metformin was 1g daily split, diet mainly protein, and veg, very few carbs.
Fasting bg has always been around 8, A1C remained constant at around 47-49.
In 2015, metformin increased to 2g daily (split) plus Sitagliptin once a day, this did not result in any great change in morning bg, still being around 7 - 8, A1C 49 at last test in October this year.
During the October doctor visit this year Triglycerides had increased substantially, probably due to my exercise levels dropping off during this Covid 19 pandemic.
Simvastatin was stopped, Atorvastatin was substituted at 80mg - max dose I believe, TriGs dropped but many side effects, mainly weight gain, morning bgs at 10 -12,nausea etc.
Atorvastatin reduced in December to 40mg, some side effects reduced but bg still high in the morning, mainly in excess of 10.
I have read that Statins have a tendancy to raise bg levels and I am firmly of the belief that the administration of these drugs 15 years ago contributed to my current condition.
I would also say that I have never suffered from any of the associated side effects of diabetes in any way, shape or form, not even passing glucose in urine.
Quite frankly I begin to wonder what is normal, as my father, when tested with my kit averaged 7 -9 morning bg, has never taken a pill in his life for either blood pressure or cholesterol, is moderately active with all his marbles at the grand age of 96!
Best regards to all and a Happy New Year.

Welcome @Polymorphic

Ali-d

Hello I'm Alison, 2 days ago I was told I have type 2. I had a phone call from practice nurse after routine blood test.
I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing
Said nurse waffled in my ear,made me an appointment for 6weeks time for another blood test,and told me to try and cut my carbs. I didn't take in what she said cos my head was spinning.
I'm gonna do some reading here and try and make sense of what I'm doing

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I'm Alison, 2 days ago I was told I have type 2. I had a phone call from practice nurse after routine blood test.
I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing
Said nurse waffled in my ear,made me an appointment for 6weeks time for another blood test,and told me to try and cut my carbs. I didn't take in what she said cos my head was spinning.
I'm gonna do some reading here and try and make sense of what I'm doing

Hi @Ali-d and welcome!

It’d be worth you starting your own thread so you can get more detailed advice, but here’s some basic information to get you started.

The key to managing type 2 is in what you eat and restricting carbohydrates will be the route to success. I’d recommend checking out the website dietdoctor.com for information on foods, recipes and meal plans and you might find the dietary information in this link useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Additionally, A blood meter is a must. Testing is an important way to understand the impact of food on your blood sugar levels. Test immediately before and 2 hours after you’ve eaten. In that way you’ll understand the impact that meal has on your blood sugars. You’re looking for a ride of no more than 2mmols. Any more and there were too many carbs for you to handle and the meal needs adjusting.

In the UK those with type 2 treated with diet or diet and metformin are rarely prescribed a meter and need to self fund. When doing that be aware that the cost of the strips will be the biggest cost over time, so factor that into any purchase. We can recommend some reasonably priced ones if that would be helpful.

Finally it’d be a good idea to ask your surgery what your HbA1c result was - that’s the test usually used to diagnose diabetes and is an estimate of your average blood sugars over the previous 8-12 weeks. It’ll be useful for you to understand this and track your progress over time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

PiersAaron

Hi all:

Newbie here, just signed up at this site minutes ago. My name is Piers and I am from the US (outside of NYC). I was diagnosed with T2 in the beginning of September 2020. When diagnosed in September 2020, my HbA1C was 14.2. Doctor prescribed two 50mmg tablets of Metaformin a day. Additionally, my doctor told me that I needed to lose weight. I was 270 pounds in September 2020. I immediately started Low Carb/Keto diet with intermittent fasting.

Three months later (December 2020), I went back to the doctor and my results were as follows:
a.) weight down to 240 pounds (loss of 30 pounds in 3 months);
b.) HbA1C reduced to 7.1% (from 14.2% when tested 3 months before); and
c.) Fasting glucose down to 84mg/DL (from 327mg/DL three months before).

I am continuing on my keto/IF lifestyle along with swimming (temporarily closed for COVID19 but will reopen in a couple of days). I went off keto a bit at Christmas and gained back 5 pounds. But I am resolved to lose another 30 pounds to get down to 215 pounds by the end of March (IOW three months). We will see. But it has gotten progressively harder to lose weight as my weight continues to drop.

PS I believe that HbA!C is measured in mmol/mol in the UK and the conversion factor is roughly 7.5. Thus after conversion (my most recent HbA1C test) should be 53.25mmol/mol (7.1 x 7.5). Can anyone confirm that my HbA1C conversion has been done properly?

PPS I believe that fasting blood glucose is measured in mmol/L in the UK and the conversion factor is roughly 18. Thus after conversion (my most recent fasting blood glucose test) should be 4.7mmol/L (84/18). Can anyone confirm that my fasting blood glucose conversion has been done properly?

Looking forward to participating in this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone confirm that my fasting blood glucose conversion has been done properly?
Hi @PiersAaron , welcome to the forum, and what a great progress you've made in such a short time!

I find this table very convenient when reading posts by people from other places, it has both the different numbers for blood glucose and the different numbers for hba1c corresponding to average BG.

image-asset.jpeg

SeptimusFry

Hi, I'm a newbie both here and to the idea of me having diabetes.

I suffered a horrible attack of pancreatitis in Dec 2019 and ended up with more days in hospital than out, during 2020.
They took out my gall bladder in Nov20 as a gallstone was the original problem, blocking the outlet of the pancreas to duodenum. In between, bouts of large pseudocyst with drainage.

In hospital, I was monitored two or three times daily for blood sugar and had jabs of insulin almost daily. Sometimes, twice daily. This activity reduced toward the end of my last stay, apparently at my age I could "tolerate" higher levels without treatment.
When I was discharged all monitoring and diabetic treatment stopped. Finished!

I was given little advice on diet apart from general advice on free sugar and animal fats.

I suffered a nasty hyperglycaemia at one point and the visiting nurse prescribed a large dose of water and some immediate physical exercise using the stairs.

I was an engineer in my previous life and consider measurements and tables to be essential in diagnosis. So I purchased a meter, strips and lancettes so as to record my BS 6 times daily. Early on, two months ago, my readings were all over the place, but recently have a distinct and possibly healthy pattern.

I came here to see what I could find as "normal" or otherwise. I have been a little put off by the assumed level of understanding of the terms used to describe members' diabetic experience. I can't help wondering at the thread such as:
Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

How can this be useful?

I find that my before-meal glycaemic levels are what I believe to be normal...78-120 mg/dl. After meals, they are all over the place...around 200 but exceptionally 260/270.
I see the pre-meal readings slowly becoming less erratic, closer to 90+. This leads me to think my pancreas is slowly recovering its function in BS regulation.
However, stuff I pick up on the internet suggests that hyperglycaemia can do damage to other organs, and figures above 230 should be worrisome.

I cannot immediately get a rdvz with a diabetolog due mainly to Cv19.

I imagine this forum to be a collection of experts in the topic and would welcome any comments that might enlighten me.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. T2s generally control their diet, cutting carbs as much as possible. Others who have had problems with their pancreas might have info for you.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SeptimusFry welcome!

I can’t answer your specific questions, but suggest you start a new thread as more people will see it and you’d likely get more responses from those with relevant experience.

Kernow29

- What is your name? Kernow
- How old are you? 59
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Cornwall
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Loud, feisty, honest
- Do you have any pets? Yes 2 dogs 1 cat
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Swim
- Do you get angry easily? Not really not worth the energy
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Yes both
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin + many more
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock
- What is your favourite flag? Mmmm ....St Piran
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes been with my husband for almost 40 years
- Ever used fake tan? No never!
- Which countries have you visited? Costa Rica, Cuba, Dom Rep, Jamaica, Greek Islands, Portugal, Croatia, Spain, Kenya
- Favourite city? None
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Documentaries, Real life Crime, Wildlife, Music
- List your five favourite films. Don’t watch many films
- Are you wealthy? Depends how you describe wealthy! Money = no, happy, reasonably healthy and employed = Yes
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes Local Government
- List the subjects you study/have studied...many professional subjects ....currently completing a PhD (Social Sciences/Psychology)
- What do you like most about yourself? Honest, Loyal and Determination
- What do you like least about yourself? Overweight

Reactions: Antje77

sixofone

- What is your name?
Leah
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
Uk
- Which city/area do you live in?
London
- Are you religious?
Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Caring, generous, witty
- Do you have any pets?
No
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Not sporty at all
- Do you get angry easily?
I used to but have decided that it’s not worth it
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
Just ears
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
I don’t really have a favourite
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
Never thought about it
- Ever gone camping?
No.
- Ever been in love?
I once fancied myself in love but it was more wishful thinking than real love
- Ever used fake tan?
No
- Which countries have you visited?
USA, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Israel
- Favourite city?
Jerusalem
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Call the midwife. Hospital. After life. The great British sewing bee
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
Not in money, but in every other way yes
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Disabled and unable to work anymore, but I used to be a sewing teacher/ dressmaker
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
A whole hotchpotch many moons ago
- What do you like most about yourself?
The ability to laugh in the face of adversity. My generous nature. My outside the box personality. My sense of fun
- What do you like least about yourself?
My generous nature. Sometimes too generous. I worry to much.

J

Jillery

Hi Newbie ..... jillery
Newly confirmed Type 2 with Metformin
Age 78 years young
Living in Essex
Love all kinds of music
Enjoy my gardening
Pierced ears
Not prone to anger, but can get frustrated with idiots!

Was diagnosed 6/12/20 with Type 2 having been prediabetic for 3 years, managed to keep it under control with LCHF.... until this COVID pandemic drove me to become a chocoholic interspersed with carb craving. My weight rose to 12st 13lb and resulted in Ultra high blood results... 18? Was what the nurse quoted (with a big “tutt”)
So.... straight away on just 1 Metformin in the mornings for 1 week then increased to 1 morning and evening. After 2 weeks increased to 1 morning and 2 evening. Currently I’m testing my sugars early morning 7/8’s and 2 hours after evening meal anything between 5/8 I’m waiting for another chat with Nurse to find out how I’m doing?
I’m sticking to no carbs, and I’m pleased to say I’ve lost 1st 5lb.

AldenChad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can’t copy and paste the long list of questions: I’ll guess.

My name is Alden, I’m sixty some years, male and grumpy.
I live with my partner, Susan, and our dog.
I’ve had type one for forty years.
I’ve a pump and CGM.
I live in Leeds UK.
Current est. A1c 5.8; time in range about 90%.
My music taste varies, but could be described as Dad rock, except I’m not a dad.
I’m a socialist.
I read Foucault.
I’m a post grad, and retired bureaucrat, but I’ve been many things.
I now enjoy eating, drinking and weed, and I’ve lived full life.

Reactions: Ctaylor1