Bit of a whirlwind..

Lbooker

Long story short... went for bloods 22nd dec.. gp phoned said they were showing diabetic readings. Follow up bloods in 6 weeks. RAng me back xmas eve and said come into surgery for urine and blood sugar test.. (prick of finger). No ketones in urine blood 10.9.
Now not waiting 6 weeks got to tues for another blood test said he doesnt want to wait.
Advised me to buy a blood monitor which did and have had varied results.
This morn on waking it was 11.9. Came down to 10.8. Just had 2 wholmeal toast with peanut butter. Shall i test again in 2hrs.?
Also last night before bed i had a reading of 13.8.
Im getting quite panicky as i feel its getting rushed by gp. Should i be worried

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long story short... went for bloods 22nd dec.. gp phoned said they were showing diabetic readings. Follow up bloods in 6 weeks. RAng me back xmas eve and said come into surgery for urine and blood sugar test.. (prick of finger). No ketones in urine blood 10.9.
Now not waiting 6 weeks got to tues for another blood test said he doesnt want to wait.
This morn on waking it was 11.9. Came down to 10.8. Just had 2 wholmeal toast with peanut butter. Shall i test again in 2hrs.?
Im getting quite panicky as i feel its getting rushed by gp. Should i be worried
First off, breathe. And consider yourself lucky to have a GP who hands out a meter. Most of us have to self-fund.

Your blood sugars are rather on the high side, but not as high as mine where at diagnosis. So if I can come back to the normal range from 20's, then you can come back from 10's. And yes, check 2 hours after the wholemeal. Bread doesn't agree with the bulk of us, as there's a lot of carbohydrates in there, so you'll want to know what those do to your blood sugars.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- have a read, it's the most informative and simple I could make it (hoping to make it easier to read for someone who's in a panic, like you say you are). Just start learning the basics about type 2 to start with, and go from there. We can't diagnose on here, and there's no telling what type you are with the information given, but whether a T1(-variant) or T2, you'd be helping yourself by reducing your carb intake for a bit at least, until you see someone who'll clarify things about which condition you have.

For now, have a read, test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, aiming for a rise of no more and preferably lower than 2.0 mmol/l, and keep a food diary, so you can record what agreed with you and what didn't.

You'll be okay.
Jo

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you are diabetic but hopefully your surgery will sort you out.

You need to cut out carbs as far as possible. Toast and peanut butter are the wrong things to have, do look on the diet advice for Type 2 diabetics.. I used to have what I thought was a healthy breakfast; bran flakes with chopped fresh fruit and a seed sprinkle + half a pint of milk In fact it was horrendous, masses of carbs. I now have chopped up, non carby veg either fried or in the microwave with 2 eggs and often bacon as well. I hated it at first but they say you get used to anything in time and I do now like it!

On diagnosis my fasting glucose was 18.6 and my HbA1c was 10.4; horrendous, so I had to change my eating or risk a stroke or heart attack in the near future. You will hopefully be in a better state than I was (although I had no symptoms at all, came as a huge shock) and will be able to get under control with the right diet and lifestyle. I had only gone for my free health check as I thought I was very healthy!!!

I don't know your weight but if you are overweight the proper low carb diet will sort that out and you won't feel hungry as you can eat lots of veg to fill you up. I wasn't overweight and when I had my second hip replacement I went down to six and a half stones and took a long time to get back to a healthy weight without carbs. I am now a good, stable weight, back where I should be.

Good look, let us know how you get on.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And consider yourself lucky to have a GP who hands out a meter. Most of us have to self-fund.
Dr advised OP to buy themselves a meter. Doesn't sound as if the GP handed it out.

Toast and peanut butter are the wrong things to have,
Toast is carby but I don't understand what is wrong with peanut butter. Typically, it contains only peanuts. Ok, not the lowest carb nuts but not what I would consider high carb if you use it to fill the groove in celery, for example.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr advised OP to buy themselves a meter. Doesn't sound as if the GP handed it out.

Toast is carby but I don't understand what is wrong with peanut butter. Typically, it contains only peanuts. Ok, not the lowest carb nuts but not what I would consider high carb if you use it to fill the groove in celery, for example.
Ah, yes, my mistake. Still, even that is quite unique.

As for peanut butter, I don't know what additives are in UK brands, but here in the Netherlands, some have a massive amount of sugar tossed in as a flavour enhancer. (Calvé is beter than Skippy, and there's some newer brands that are 100% peanut.).

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there. Many people will be rushing to tell you to immediately go low carb but if you do this drastically, it may confuse any further results at your Drs appointments in the next few weeks. The Drs like you to eat 'normally' and to keep a record of the readings prior to diagnosis, this way they can see what foods are doing to your glucose levels under normal (for you) circumstances. If you were to suddenly change your diet to low carb, your levels would (probably) also show low which might make it harder for them to diagnose type. They may well do further tests to see how much insulin you are producing or antibody tests etc, so again if you go low carb, generally your insulin production will be lower than 'normal'. Once you have been to the Drs and they have done any preliminary tests then low/lower carb is definitely an option but as I say, please don't rush into it as your diagnosis will take much longer. If your readings were to go dangerously high then you would need to get medical assistance straight away of course. x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As for peanut butter, I don't know what additives are in UK brands, but here in the Netherlands, some have a massive amount of sugar tossed in as a flavour enhancer. (Calvé is beter than Skippy, and there's some newer brands that are 100% peanut.).
In the UK, we have peanut butter with nothing added. Cheaper versions add palm oil and salt but I always buy Whole Earth or Meridian brand peanut butter which contain nothing but peanuts. Never seen any with sugar in. I am now intrigued. But not tempted.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At some point you will decide what action you will take. Some useful reading is The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung.

Another thing is to check all the ingredients in your cupboard. Read the labels.

It's overwhelming at first but we can help you through it.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Similar range at what I was diagnosed at. I immediately cut the carbs and my numbers came down within a couple weeks.

Things may seem overwhelming, you’ll feel right as rain once you begin to get control.

BTW, 100% peanut butter is my go to snack, unfortunately bread is out

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't seem like your GP is dragging heels on getting this sorted.
Keep a diary of your BGs taken from your meter along with what you had eaten. You may possibly spot some trends manifesting.

Best wishes with your next appointment.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Download the mysugr app. Record your numbers and food. It's an eye opener.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I found the diagnosis devastating. It can feel rushed and horrible. However, like you I found this site, bought a meter started testing and in only a couple of days could see that carbs were a problem. I went very low carb and my HbA1c results have been well within the normal range since.

Get a meter- it is the best thing you will ever buy to deal with this. The meter will tell you what your body can tolerate in the way of carbs. Read the link posted by @JoKalsbeek probably the best reading you will do.

Give yourself time, read around here and post. You will be fine, you will 'meet' some amazing people and you will be able to deal with the diagnosis.

Good luck and welcome.