Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Under 2 and it potentially could end up having lasting effects, How many times or what kind of effects from what numbers, I don't think there is a conclusive set number. Even in the 2's isn't recommended to ever be in, that can happen, but it should be a rare event.

I have never been not in control or lost consciousness, but dropping that low could cause that. And by the time you digest even a quick acting sugar, it still takes time and you could drop lower. You don't want to hit those numbers. If you are hitting those numbers you need to adjust your basal and/or your I/C ratio. The problem I believe is that you are in your honeymoon period I think? So it's better to be at higher numbers for now to safeguard for when your pancreas decides to help.

Do you have alerts? Or just a regular Libre? Miao Miao can turn the Libre into something with alerts and I think Bubble might be more popular nowadays, I'm just not familiar with it. There is a new Libre with alerts, but I don't know when it is available to you. Also the problem becomes, while certain levels aren't "dangerous" your sensitivity drops when you are low a lot. To raise the sensitivity back to a higher number, you have to stay at higher numbers for a while.

Hypoglycemia is officially below 3.9 (70) in the US for the medical field. My DE, Endo and Dexcom device officially consider a dangerous level below 3.0 (55). I just aim to not go below 3.6 but have an alert set at 4.4. This only works because I have alerts, before my Dexcom I aimed for a higher number as I didn't like to drop below 5.2. Personally for me I don't worry if I hit 3.0 (55), I just get aggravated that I did and it messes with my time in range and luckily I am rarely at those numbers.

Hugs @Choosehappy, not trying to lecture you, but you really need to make some adjustments. Do you have a team you can call to help you sort your numbers?

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Under 2 and it potentially could end up having lasting effects, How many times or what kind of effects from what numbers, I don't think there is a conclusive set number. Even in the 2's isn't recommended to ever be in, that can happen, but it should be a rare event.

I have never been not in control or lost consciousness, but dropping that low could cause that. And by the time you digest even a quick acting sugar, it still takes time and you could drop lower. You don't want to hit those numbers. If you are hitting those numbers you need to adjust your basal and/or your I/C ratio. The problem I believe is that you are in your honeymoon period I think? So it's better to be at higher numbers for now to safeguard for when your pancreas decides to help.

Do you have alerts? Or just a regular Libre? Miao Miao can turn the Libre into something with alerts and I think Bubble might be more popular nowadays, I'm just not familiar with it. There is a new Libre with alerts, but I don't know when it is available to you. Also the problem becomes, while certain levels aren't "dangerous" your sensitivity drops when you are low a lot. To raise the sensitivity back to a higher number, you have to stay at higher numbers for a while.

Hypoglycemia is officially below 3.9 (70) in the US for the medical field. My DE, Endo and Dexcom device officially consider a dangerous level below 3.0 (55). I just aim to not go below 3.6 but have an alert set at 4.4. This only works because I have alerts, before my Dexcom I aimed for a higher number as I didn't like to drop below 5.2. Personally for me I don't worry if I hit 3.0 (55), I just get aggravated that I did and it messes with my time in range and luckily I am rarely at those numbers.

Hugs @Choosehappy, not trying to lecture you, but you really need to make some adjustments. Do you have a team you can call to help you sort your numbers?
Hi @Marie 2

Yes I do, I emailed them about it just before the holidays, I’ll definetly give them a call today and get a meeting arranged. Thank you for your response ❤️

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, expensive day ahead, have to get two new winter tyres on the car.

@Choosehappy good luck with that call, @Marie 2 has given you some good advice, my DNS gets more anxious about hypos than hypers.

Have a good day all, may your bgs be steady and your weather better than here!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I have been having a lot of lows recently... I’m trying my best to control this but it just seems to be pretty much daily, I wonder what the long term effects of too many lows is as it is starting to worry me. Is it the same as too many highs?

Hi,

It's all easier said than done. Is there a certain time slot in the day you have these lows?
If you are getting a recurrence after hitting it with fast acting carbs, try a follow up with something a little more slower release on the carb front to catch or minimise the second wave?
I've had some absolute belters over the last 44 years. But never passed out. I've always just focused on the instinct of treating it.
So from my perspective the long term effects of lows have not been an issue. But that's not to say I'm blasé & don't try to minimalise the occurrences. The risk is the insulin could pull you further down if not treated.

It's possible your basal needs a tweak.Not sure what basal you use, my Lantus can be a cow some daze.

Is it the same as too many highs?; in comparison to the lows which could have an immediate effect on your wellbeing. One that stands out is driving a car? & of course other road users. (Riding a horse low is interesting. The animal loses purpose too..)
The effects of highs are longer term..

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi everyone and thank you so much for your responses and good advice ❤️ @Jaylee @Marie 2 @hh1

I’m happy to say I have a chat with a DN who has suggested I lower my fast acting ratio for breakfast and lunch and then keep it the same for evening. So I’m going to trial this and see how we get on. He said after reading some of my readings that he expects my overall bloods to be good which has made me happy.

I think that I just put so much pressure on myself and the majority of the time I am so positive about my diabetes, but I have my off days where the whole world comes crumbling down! Although not often, the off days are terrible and make me sad. I always try to count my blessings though and they always lift me and I always feel better after speaking with you guys and a DN so thank you very much!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone and thank you so much for your responses and good advice ❤️ @Jaylee @Marie 2 @hh1

I’m happy to say I have a chat with a DN who has suggested I lower my fast acting ratio for breakfast and lunch and then keep it the same for evening. So I’m going to trial this and see how we get on. He said after reading some of my readings that he expects my overall bloods to be good which has made me happy.

I think that I just put so much pressure on myself and the majority of the time I am so positive about my diabetes, but I have my off days where the whole world comes crumbling down! Although not often, the off days are terrible and make me sad. I always try to count my blessings though and they always lift me and I always feel better after speaking with you guys and a DN so thank you very much!

I feel, like with everything in life. It's good to have a bit of "light & shade." Where is the fun in getting it right every time...? ;)

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How was everyone’s Christmas? Are you looking forward to the new year?

Christmas.. The "bunny" was kind. Managed to see a decent horror flick.(sort of a tradition.) "Await futher instruction."
Meet the parents meets the Saw. A cerebral thriller ironically set during an enforced lockdown on Christmas eve?

New year? Normally do a gig on that night... It will be quiet. My wife & I will party like it's 1995..

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Christmas.. The "bunny" was kind. Managed to see a decent horror flick.(sort of a tradition.) "Await futher instruction."
Meet the parents meets the Saw. A cerebral thriller ironically set during an enforced lockdown on Christmas eve?

New year? Normally do a gig on that night... It will be quiet. My wife & I will party like it's 1995..
@Jaylee Love this! Exactly! Film sounds good, I like a good horror. I have loved spending lots of time with my partner this year but I have definetly kept those who may be feeling lonely in my thoughts ❤️

Lets hope covid clears up soon so we can get out and about again and enjoy life!

Anyone got a New Years resolution?

I have a few for this new year: self control (when it comes to spending on silly things I don’t need), saving up, get out more (when covid sorts itself out), focus on my health, focus on building my own business.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I’m very sad to say that most of us have joined the tier 4 party. I’m incredibly bored, tired and frustrated with this, but early Happy new year to everyone!

I got a letter today for my maxillofacial surgery, but annoyingly they need to call me to schedule an appointment. I heard from my work colleagues, that a covid test needs to be done and you need to isolate as well pre surgery?

Diabetes has not been too shabby, not much to report on it.

My New Years resolution is well, I want it to be a life long change - to change my relationship with food and to stop demonising food. If I want a slice of cake, I shouldn’t feel guilty for eating it yknow.

Obviously more exercise, more muscle and strength. I do feel quite weak since I stopped after my hypoglycaemia accidents in the past.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends,

I’m very sad to say that most of us have joined the tier 4 party. I’m incredibly bored, tired and frustrated with this, but early Happy new year to everyone!

I got a letter today for my maxillofacial surgery, but annoyingly they need to call me to schedule an appointment. I heard from my work colleagues, that a covid test needs to be done and you need to isolate as well pre surgery?

Diabetes has not been too shabby, not much to report on it.

My New Years resolution is well, I want it to be a life long change - to change my relationship with food and to stop demonising food. If I want a slice of cake, I shouldn’t feel guilty for eating it yknow.

Obviously more exercise, more muscle and strength. I do feel quite weak since I stopped after my hypoglycaemia accidents in the past.

We're not toooo far from you, so we went large today, and joined the T4 massiiiive. It's not a fab feeling for sure, even though for boring only bods like us, it doesn't make a massive difference to how we live our lives. It's just nice to have a few more choices.

A relative of mine had day patient surgery, during the last biggie lockdown, and she needed a negative COVID test, plus 5 days isolation before admission.

Bearing in mind your surgery seems to be elective (as opposed to very urgent/emergency), you may be able to time it to suit a little bit; especially as you are a Key Worker.

Moving on.

I was only thinking the other day that you've had a big year in 2020. You are a different person to this time last year, with massively more resilience. You should be proud of your personal 2020, never mind the work you have done with your residents at work. It can't have been easy.

I take my hat off to you.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1609173566633.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, was up and out early with the dog on a spectacularly frosty morning. A freezing but very beautiful walk. Hope that for some of you this weather isn't just a real pain, for travel and so on, but there's something good in it whether it's to look at or, if you've got snow, to play in ;)

We've moved up to tier 4 here too. Nothing else to say about it really, except take care everyone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Goodbye 2020, the year has been Covid a-plenty
With fears for our future, uncertainly and sadness
Lets look to the future with hope and good health
And a 2021 full of love, peace and worldwide gladness.

HAPPY NEW YEAR X