Libre 2 - need a reader to activate??

garrycrone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is about the Freestyle Libre 2. Does anyone know if you also have to buy the reader as well as the sensors or does the iphone app now activate the sensor? The instructions on the sensor suggest that the phone now activates it without needing the reader but I dont want to open the pack, stick one on and then find I cant activate it.

Thank you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm not sure where you are geographically located? (Edit, your profile says UK.)

In the UK, I've not heard to date of many getting their mitts on an L2. However, I'm a self funder, just using my phone & have been genning up for when the L2 supersedes the first incarnation.

You may find this useful..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Answers the question perfectly. No reader required. Just use the phone.

Thank you.

No problem. Let us know how you get on..
It seems to answer my Qs too. Regarding xDrip. When I finally get hold of the second gen sensor...
Though, I suspect the firmware on my watch may need an upgrade for the L2BT.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is about the Freestyle Libre 2. Does anyone know if you also have to buy the reader as well as the sensors or does the iphone app now activate the sensor? The instructions on the sensor suggest that the phone now activates it without needing the reader but I dont want to open the pack, stick one on and then find I cant activate it.

Thank you.

Are you self funding the Libra 2?
If so have you spotted where you can purchase the readers? I’ve only seen the sensors for sale & I don’t have a compatible phone so would require a new reader too.

How are you getting on with the new sensors?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks but isn’t that just the libra one reader? I couldn’t see anything about the Libra 2 on there. But I may be being blind.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thanks but isn’t that just the libra one reader? I couldn’t see anything about the Libra 2 on there. But I may be being blind.

Guess you could always phone Abbott and ask. I've always found them quite helpful.

Reactions: TashT1