Dating and Diabetes

lucinda

I am aware this could come across a little bizarre....but here goes.

Are there any Diabetic Dating sites....or anything of that nature?
It may seem strange, but Im thinking that dating someone who is also a diabetic could potentially be really beneficial, and you could be massive support for each other...it would also elimiate the issue of having to explain in detail the ins and outs of diabetes and I think, personally, Id feel quite safe....

Anyone heard of anything of the sort? :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never heard of one Lucinda although they'll be plenty of people with diabetes on most dating sites I would imagine, unless they openly say I am at a loss how you would know! :?

I suppose it could be beneficial meeting someone with the same condition as you say, on the other-hand it could have the opposite effect.......suppose it's hard to say till you meet someone! :think:

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi 58 yr old Scotsman, 6ft 2 , overweight, type 2 diabetes , osteo-arthritis, asthma, chronic venous insufficency, single parent for 12 years, married twice , with 19 yr old daughter , well educated, full time employed, used to be sporty , seeks date :crazy:

Somehow I don't think it'll work, much as I ' would like to find a girlfriend they would have to be totally nuts :***:

Maybe I should join a dating site :wave:

Hamish
Ipswich

Fallenstar

Hamish :wink:
Osteo-arthritis ,asthma, chronic venous insufficency....HOLD me BAAACK Tiger!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: What you doing on Saturday night :lol:

Like it!

steveinblackpool

I think it would be a brilliant idea... a pair of hypochondriacs in a pub together at least you wouldnt be sat there looking at each other with nothing to say :)

Maybe they could do something on here and get a sub-section going? Although prob not with all that "health and saftey" :-(

PS:- T1... 1 careful owner... good runner... smokes alittle, not bad body-work, some TLC, lots GSoH ;-)

PPS:- Lady drivers only ;-)

lucinda

It was a bit of a long shot, never mind ay....

Matching coats, matching hats...matching ailments???

Cute, no? :lol:

Grazer

Love the idea. Being serious for a minute, (unusual for me), if two T1s met and got married because of this dating site, what would be the chances of any children having T1? Does it work like that?

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Interesting point Grazer. I always thought that there was much less probability of inheriting T1 than T2.

However figure this one out. Both my parents were diagnosed T2s late in life and here I am a T1 (or T1.5) more accurately (I'm 34). I am the only one with T1 in my entire family and T2 is meant to be more likely to be inherited.

However in both I suppose the question is what triggers it ultimately? What causes something in the genes to trigger the insulin defectiveness? I have 5 siblings, what is the probability there?

I suppose it's part of natural selection and sometimes in some people just as in nature there will be faulty genes. However we are perfect in other ways :lol:

Diabetes is certainly not the worse thing that can (or cannot) be passed down.

And in this day and age it's hard enough to find love as my two sisters constantly complain about (one has Thalessemia Minor and the other has Endometriosis both have genetic inheritance probabilty).

Here's to some romance on this forum. :clap:

Fred J M

Dislikes
I am NOT a "diabetic" - I am a person who suffers from diabetes - And I will not allow myself to be controlled by those who want me to conform to THEIR standards and who use scaremongering and bullying to achieve this... There are many medical professionals who are wonderful, but alas, many who suffer from personality disorders which atract them to medicine because it gives them power.
lucinda said:
I but Im thinking that dating someone who is also a diabetic could potentially be really beneficial, and you could be massive support for each other...it would also elimiate the issue of having to explain in detail the ins and outs of diabetes and I think, personally, Id feel quite safe....

For me, diabetes has never been the problem for dating or early in a relationship - if it affected my relationships at all (it is difficult to know whether problems / breakdown would have happened anyway..) it was well into the relationship - 3 years or more.

The only major (destructive) influences I can attribute to diabetes are 1.) When one gets ill - A healthy non-diabetic judgemental partner may not realize that you are not being a 'wimp'. 2.) The effect of blood sugar levels on ones equilibrium.. Insulin was used as a "truth drug" - and I have found that, when blood sugar is low (<5, but not only when hypo) I tend to be more "ungaurded" with the truth than I might usually be.. Perhaps there is nothing more damaging to a relationship than the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth! :lol:

So yes - I am going through my 2nd divorce.. Not too inclined right now to risk any future relationship! :sick: - But if that changes, I would be hoping to meet another Type 1 :crazy:

Fred.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I'm new to the forum and I have been looking through lots of differents posts and yours made me smile Hamish :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Fred J M said:
lucinda said:
I but Im thinking that dating someone who is also a diabetic could potentially be really beneficial, and you could be massive support for each other...it would also elimiate the issue of having to explain in detail the ins and outs of diabetes and I think, personally, Id feel quite safe....

For me, diabetes has never been the problem for dating or early in a relationship - if it affected my relationships at all (it is difficult to know whether problems / breakdown would have happened anyway..) it was well into the relationship - 3 years or more.

The only major (destructive) influences I can attribute to diabetes are 1.) When one gets ill - A healthy non-diabetic judgemental partner may not realize that you are not being a 'wimp'. 2.) The effect of blood sugar levels on ones equilibrium.. Insulin was used as a "truth drug" - and I have found that, when blood sugar is low (<5, but not only when hypo) I tend to be more "ungaurded" with the truth than I might usually be.. Perhaps there is nothing more damaging to a relationship than the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth! :lol:

Your post, in general, is so true Fred. It's a long time since I have been in a relationship. but when my ex partner came over one Sunday afternoon to see us ( our child and me, we remanined good friends) I opened the door and said' hello dear' and he knew something was wrong and I was hypo lol :lol:

So yes - I am going through my 2nd divorce.. Not too inclined right now to risk any future relationship! :sick: - But if that changes, I would be hoping to meet another Type 1 :crazy:

Fred.