Carnivore Corner

M

Member496333

I'll support you if I can, but I really have to work out how I keep my calcium levels up, as even on dairy, I run scant levels.

I do need to do that though. (Even I'm bored of myself saying that so often!)

Sardine and salmon bones are a good source of calcium. I'm led to believe that the same is true of bone broth, but opinion appears to be divided on that. It's made from boiling bones, so you would think so? Crushed egg shells is another, but you'd want to make sure they were from boiled eggs or you'd risk food poisoning.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sardine and salmon bones are a good source of calcium. I'm led to believe that the same is true of bone broth, but opinion appears to be divided on that. It's made from boiling bones, so you would think so? Crushed egg shells is another, but you'd want to make sure they were from boiled eggs or you'd risk food poisoning.

Yes, I understand where decent dietary calcium comes from, and do take those on board, but my calcium levels are stubbornly borderline low, to low, so investigations are under way. In the meantime, giving up an easily available source isn't a comfortable option, for me.

Others may feel differently, but I have weighed up the risks to me, and the options and accept the fact that for the time being, dairy can stay with me.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Delivered steaks a bit small? Eat two at once. Air fried ribeyes.

4BBFEAB3-8613-4DCA-AF62-AB8A75D6B12A.jpeg

Reactions: notepadplusplus

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may have asked before but I’ve finally got hold of an oxtail. I’ve never eaten one before and definitely never cooked one. What do I do with it? Hit me with favourite ideas. I’ve hob, oven and slow cooker options.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may have asked before but I’ve finally got hold of an oxtail. I’ve never eaten one before and definitely never cooked one. What do I do with it? Hit me with favourite ideas. I’ve hob, oven and slow cooker options.

Slow cooker. For hours - about 10 or so. I just salt it, sear it and put it in with a bit of liquid. Delicious.

Reactions: OrsonKartt and HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slow cooker. For hours - about 10 or so. I just salt it, sear it and put it in with a bit of liquid. Delicious.
I can manage that. Mine is a rather quick slow cooker so popping it in as soon as I’m should produce something rather delicious for dinner. Thanks.

Reactions: Goonergal

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I don't get with all of the fakes, especially veggie or vegan fakes, is if the originals are so abhorant that alternatives need to be invented why oh why do they then want to call them by the original name? Surely chicken style Nuggets should be lab grown protein nuggets if meat is so bad.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I don't get with all of the fakes, especially veggie or vegan fakes, is if the originals are so abhorant that alternatives need to be invented why oh why do they then want to call them by the original name? Surely chicken style Nuggets should be lab grown protein nuggets if meat is so bad.
Think they would have difficulty selling that to the public.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK all confession time..

Have slipped a bit over the past few months.. gained a few excess pounds and had an increase in HbA1c (although quite small) .

Battening down the hatches for January (and hopefully evermore) into a meatier 2021.

Anyone else returning to the carni fold after a mild flirtation with "normality"?

Reactions: Speedbird

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK all confession time..

Have slipped a bit over the past few months.. gained a few excess pounds and had an increase in HbA1c (although quite small) .

Battening down the hatches for January (and hopefully evermore) into a meatier 2021.

Anyone else returning to the carni fold after a mild flirtation with "normality"?

Me! Will have to clear some illicit stuff today, then I’m with you.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I might join you in 2021. I need to loose some of the weight I put back on after diagnosis.

This Christmas present might help, Iberico acorn fed ham shoulder. It’s delicious.

IMG_7882.jpg