Freestyle Libre 2 | NHS Prescription

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I currently use Libre 1, but have to manually scan the sensor to know if I am going low, as I don’t have the Miao Miao.

Does anyone know if Libre 2 is available on the NHS?

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to recent internet the Freestyle Libre 2 was approved for use and prescription by the NHS in November 2020.

News articles and twitter feeds I have read suggest that everyone who has been prescribed Freestyle Libre 1 should be eligible ad moved over to the Freestyle Libre 2. However, as is usual with the NHS, it will take some time for everyone within the NHS who ought to know about the Freestyle Libre 2 (prescribing GPs) to have their systems updated so they can prescribe the Freestyle Libre 2. Those systems should be updated by January 2021.

Those currently using the Freestyle Libre 1 should discuss with their diabetes healthcare clinicians about switching over to the Freestyle Libre 2 from their next appointment post 1 January 2021.

Don't be surprised when you approach your healthcare professionals if some of them aren't aware of the Freestyle Libre 2!

Please note that you will still need to scan a Freestyle Libre 2 sensor at least once every 8 hours with either a Freestyle Libre 2 Reader or a compatible mobile phone that has the Freestyle Libre Link software loaded on the mobile.

The Freestyle Libre 3 sensor is the version of Freestyle Libre where users will no longer need to scan the sensor.

The Freestyle Libre 3 is supposed to be available in Europe (but not the United Kingdom) "in the coming months." Abbott Laboratories wo make the Freestyle Libre are or will have to seek approval from the NHS before the Freestyle Libre 3 is available for prescription and use by NHS patients and that will take time (it took 2 years for the NHS to approve the Freestyle Libre 2 for use).

The internet suggests the Freestyle Libre 3 may be approved for prescription and use on the NHS "at some point in 2021." But please don't count on it.

Yes, it is illogical (and wasteful ultimately of taxpayer money) for people using the Freestyle Libre 1 not to move straight to the Freestyle Libre 3, but this is how the approval system works in the United Kingdom.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: JMoli

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my consultants consultation by phone a couple of months ago. I didn’t ask, but he told me I will automatically be changed to Libre 2 some time next year. To be fair many Libre 1 kits will have been already purchased and in stock in pharmacies. As these deplete I am sure the next version will filter through. I am grateful to be getting it at all following 2 years of self financing. I can quite happily wait. It will happen.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you have Facebook, there is quite a large network of people on the freestyle Libre uk group. A number of people on that group have given there GP a ring & asked to be changed over to 2.0 & they have happily done it for them. Not sure if it is area dependant though.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had an appointment with my GP two days ago. She didn't know there was an upgrade to libre, didn't know if her ccg was permitting it to be prescribed, and checked on her computer to see if she could prescribe it. It wasn't there. She's going to talk with the surgery's dsn and find out what's happening.

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an appointment with my GP two days ago. She didn't know there was an upgrade to libre, didn't know if her ccg was permitting it to be prescribed, and checked on her computer to see if she could prescribe it. It wasn't there. She's going to talk with the surgery's dsn and find out what's happening.

According to what I have read the price (i.e. the price paid by the NHS to the manufacturer) of the Freestyle Libre 2 will be exactly the same as the Freestyle Libre 1. Therefore if you are already being prescribed the Freestyle Libre 1 on the NHS there is no reason whatsoever why you should not be moved onto the Freestyle Libre 2.

Hopefully your CCG won't do so, but if you are prescribed already the Freestyle Libre 1 on the NHS and you are told you cannot have the Freestyle Libre 2 I would recommend strongly that you consider complaining (if necessary, get Diabetes UK involved) and make your CCG justify their decision.

The Freestyle Libre 1 and the Freestyle Libre 2 are the same price!

CCG's are required by government to consider patients not only as patients but items on a balance sheet. This technology (specifically with Freestyle Libre 2, the ability to set high and low glucose alarms and make corrective treatment decisions) has the potential to minimise long term complications from diabetes, thereby saving the NHS money in the long run.

One doesn't need to be an accountant or have a PhD in astrophysics to realise the benefits of upgrading to Freestyle Libre 2 outweigh the costs to the NHS of having to deal further down the road with diabetic complications!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I currently use Libre 1, but have to manually scan the sensor to know if I am going low, as I don’t have the Miao Miao.

Hi,

There have been a couple of members mention they have the Libre MK11.
I'm a self funder. I also assume when the L2 becomes widely available the MK1 will no longer be able to be obtained?

If it's anything like when my Clik-Star pen ceased production to be replaced by the Alstar-pro. (When I listed a new replacement spare, ages ago.)
The chemist Issued me the upgrade & notified my surgery to change the prescription accordingly for next time, regarding the correct item on the list..

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
According to what I have read the price (i.e. the price paid by the NHS to the manufacturer) of the Freestyle Libre 2 will be exactly the same as the Freestyle Libre 1. Therefore if you are already being prescribed the Freestyle Libre 1 on the NHS there is no reason whatsoever why you should not be moved onto the Freestyle Libre 2.

Hopefully your CCG won't do so, but if you are prescribed already the Freestyle Libre 1 on the NHS and you are told you cannot have the Freestyle Libre 2 I would recommend strongly that you consider complaining (if necessary, get Diabetes UK involved) and make your CCG justify their decision.

The Freestyle Libre 1 and the Freestyle Libre 2 are the same price!
This wasn't a refusal, the doctor said a libre with alerts sounded like an improvement. It was a sheer complete lack of knowledge. She didn't know there was a libre2, and certainly didn't know what the difference was.

CCG's are required by government to consider patients not only as patients but items on a balance sheet. This technology (specifically with Freestyle Libre 2, the ability to set high and low glucose alarms and make corrective treatment decisions) has the potential to minimise long term complications from diabetes, thereby saving the NHS money in the long run.

One doesn't need to be an accountant or have a PhD in astrophysics to realise the benefits of upgrading to Freestyle Libre 2 outweigh the costs to the NHS of having to deal further down the road with diabetic complications!

Yep, pretty much what the doc said, but either the surgery, or the ccg is lagging on their paperwork.

P.S. that made me laugh, as it happens I do have a PhD in Astrophysics. I can solemnly assure you it doesn't help a great deal with my diabetes.

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This wasn't a refusal, the doctor said a libre with alerts sounded like an improvement. It was a sheer complete lack of knowledge. She didn't know there was a libre2, and certainly didn't know what the difference was.

Yep, pretty much what the doc said, but either the surgery, or the ccg is lagging on their paperwork.

P.S. that made me laugh, as it happens I do have a PhD in Astrophysics. I can solemnly assure you it doesn't help a great deal with my diabetes.

I haver no doubt your GP will do the necessary for you. I'm just very conscious from what I've read of how resistant some CCGs have been to funding all those who should be eligible for this product because by law they are required to manage their budgets.

I am a huge fan of science and scientists. Have spent most of my life surrounded by these amazing people and am married to one. They are literally saving the world this year and next.

But am not a fan of the NHS reorganisation brought in in 2012 by the government. I prefer clinicians to focus on healthcare (which is their strength) rather than budgets (which isn't).

TypeZero.

Hi all

From what I know it has been enrolled onto the NHS drug tariff but CCG’s are yet to enforce it as a replacement for Libre 1

I got approved for a Libre and I asked my consultant about Libre 2 and she insisted I would get L1 and not L2.

I bought a Libre 2 anyways to try it out, it’s fairly accurate but for some reason it keeps losing signal. I don’t know if it’s my phone’s Bluetooth (iPhone 11) but it keeps losing signal and somehow it irritated my immune system and made me extremely resistant to insulin

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I haver no doubt your GP will do the necessary for you. I'm just very conscious from what I've read of how resistant some CCGs have been to funding all those who should be eligible for this product because by law they are required to manage their budgets.

I am a huge fan of science and scientists. Have spent most of my life surrounded by these amazing people and am married to one. They are literally saving the world this year and next.

But am not a fan of the NHS reorganisation brought in in 2012 by the government. I prefer clinicians to focus on healthcare (which is their strength) rather than budgets (which isn't).

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking forward to this, and closed loop.

I must admit I still consider freestyle and omnipod as witchcraft though?