Anyone here recover from burning feet and/or hands?

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
You don't think it could be something in the LCHF diet? Like magnesium deficiency. It can cause burning hands, and is likely if you eat a lot of dairy and drink caffeinated beverages on top of low carb. Might be worth trying supplements for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference.
I take 2 x 250mg Mag Citrate (NOW products) daily and I am still on fire and have been for six years - blood sugars good or bad. I think I am a lost cause.

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. Mine don't usually keep my from sleeping, but they hurt when I wake up in the morning. They hurt the worst after walking a lot.

All through this condition I walk at least 5 km per day - walking actually soothes any discomfort - if it wasn't so hot here I would walk further!

smitch02

Type of diabetes
LADA
I thought i would never wear socks or shoes again or ever sleep when mine started.

it was the pain that led to me finding out i was late onset type 1.

pregabalin was no good on its own. However when duloxetine was added in combination my life was transformed.

try them both together - it was like a miracle for me!

Good Luck

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
I was diagnosed last April. Quickly lowered my levels to normal range with LCHF. Have managed to stay there. Started getting a burning type of pain in feet about 6 weeks AFTER diagnosis (as numbers lowered). Hands aren't as bad, but feel warm at times. I know it takes time, but I'm hoping some here have some success stories, tips, etc. I know Jim Lahey went through it and came out on the other side.
I have a very similar pattern to you diagnosed last April with peripheral neuropathy at diagnosis, used Gliclazide (sulfonylurea) to reduce BG quickly then reduced drug in steps and stopped in August. I still get foot heat/cold/tingling but not as often. I understand that because the capillaries supplying blood to nerves are damaged by the high blood glucose that not much repair takes place so I may have to live with it. It doesn't stop me running or walking or swimming and I only notice when I am sitting still or occasionally at night in bed. It is only on one side and in my foot now when it was in my fingers, lips, face, scalp on same side at time of diagnosis so I have had to learn to put up with it. I do still get a dribbly eye and runny nose on same side but that seems to be much less too. So maybe you will improve as you keep going with diet and if you do some energetic activity too. Just don't let it get in the way of life which I'm sure you don't! :) I must look up Jim Lahey too and see if there are any tips! Mine is exercise and very little idle sitting as well as the obvious BG control. Fingers crossed.

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Treatment-Induced Neuropathy of Diabetes typically occurs within 8 weeks of a sudden, rapid improvement of diabetic control. It has been found to improve after several weeks or months of good diabetic control.
https://www.neurologytimes.com/diabetes/treatment-induced-neuropathy-diabetes-underrecognized-rise
Thank you for this link, it is very interesting and not well enough known among primary care doctors [GPs] I shall inform my 3 nieces currently junior doctors! If I can't be an expert at least they can for the greater good...! :)

Reactions: Dark Horse

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can recall a number of members posting to say that various neuropathy type pains have improved while getting their blood glucose under control. Sometimes the pain gets worse before it gets better which may be a sign that the nerves are regrowing.

Off the top of my head, I can remember @Jim Lahey experienced great improvements.

You may also find this video interesting.
The key component seems to be getting blood glucose under tight control and keeping it there so that the damage can heal.

I also suggest you do a forum search for threads on neuropathy and r-ALA since this is a fairly frequent discussion and there are lots of people giving their personal perspectives and experiences on those threads.

Edited to add: my personal experience is that if I let my blood glucose swing too high and then back again for even as short a time as a week (e.g. on holiday) I start to experience stabbing pains in my feet. Once I get back to my normal routine and my bgs return to more steady readings, with a much smaller variation, the pains fade and disappear. I find it incredibly motivating to keep to low steady blood glucose, since the alternative is experiencing someone stick a red hot needle up into the sole of my foot at random intervals throughout the day.
That is really fascinating and potentially explains a little bit of postural hypotension I get sometimes at work or when looking up at things on the wall after standing up - it might not be the reason but could be! It also gives a bit of hope on the nerve repair! Onwards and upwards. Thank you!!!

Reactions: Brunneria

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I was diagnosed last April. Quickly lowered my levels to normal range with LCHF. Have managed to stay there. Started getting a burning type of pain in feet about 6 weeks AFTER diagnosis (as numbers lowered). Hands aren't as bad, but feel warm at times. I know it takes time, but I'm hoping some here have some success stories, tips, etc. I know Jim Lahey went through it and came out on the other side.
My feet burned off and on for about three months as my BS numbers fell. A year on and they are fine.

Eltanz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not entirely but know it relates to adding sugar of some kind knowingly or not! Any meal I suspect or after a dark choc digestives I drink at least two large glasses of water and that usually helps lessen the impact! Then back onto correct intake fir another few days x

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
My feet are being permanently stabbed, had Duluxotine added last summer which helped a lot. However fell off the LCHF wagon four weeks ago when we lost our dog to sepsis within a couple of hours haven’t had the energy to start up again. BG up all the while and having to be isolated for 12 weeks plus isn’t helping. However feet are really painful now, hubby has to keep massaging them for relief.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It took about two years of eating less than 20 g of carbs a day to stop my neuropathy in my feet.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Did you take any supplements? Exercise?
Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't take supplements, but I do strictly control my carb intake. I'm 65 and still referee rugby. I exercise moderately every day for at least half an hour and (in normal times) referee twice a week. If I do a lot of refereeing in a day my feet do start to burn. It goes off if I give them a brisk massage. Other than that, I have no problems with my feet at all (but they could be prettier)

Caprock94

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't take supplements, but I do strictly control my carb intake. I'm 65 and still referee rugby. I exercise moderately every day for at least half an hour and (in normal times) referee twice a week. If I do a lot of refereeing in a day my feet do start to burn. It goes off if I give them a brisk massage. Other than that, I have no problems with my feet at all (but they could be prettier)

Good to hear! Glad you are doing well.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 60 years as a T1 ; I have had pain in my feet for the last 15 years and it's under control because I am om "LYCRA" which dampends the nerve signals to the brain.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Four years of stabbing burning soles of feet random stabs everywhere else. Duloxetine has helped dampen them but now finding both feet feel as if covered in burning concrete. Finding it very difficult to move or walk, about to try and see new GP about this and a couple of other diabetes bits. I’m an irregular LCHF but determined to be more focused. Just had blood taken so expect a summons to surgery very soon.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I have been suffering from the most extreme Diabetic Neuropathy for ten years and have many times pleaded for help on this Forum and never have had a single reply. This is the only thread which appears to have some idea of the terrible pain caused by DN but still cannot give a definitive treatment or solution. Dr. Bernstein (above) seems to be convinced that the control of BG levels is the answer and ventures to say that 1mm regeneration of the nerve(s) involved - eg the longest nerves to the feet will take 1,000 days to cure the problem. The contradiction of R.ALA herein is also a good example of - desperation experienced by
sufferers. Only victims can appreciate Neuropathy not the medical profession - otherwise there would be some greater publicity and help for us by now. No mention is made of Congestive Heart Failure and badly swollen feet, ankles and lower shin pain and the difficulty those symptoms cause for walking and this is the MOST COMMON HEART CONDITION CAUSED BY DIABETES. The connection between Nocturnal Leg Cramps and Diabetes is not always made - but the cramps ARE caused by Neuropathy. The worst pains are at night and are caused by blood and platelets returning from the lower regions to the torso - yet this is not often explained to the victims who are just told to sleep with their feet elevated. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome operations are frequently suggested for painful fingers, wrists, forearms and elbows when it is DN - see Dr. Bernstein's factual report about Carotid Artery surgery when the cause is ACTUALLY Postural High and Low Blood Pressure causing fainting when standing up.

By the way - I have been on low-carb diet for 8 years and mean average BG has been <7.0 mml and the above is MY OWN history. Standard painkillers do not help with the pain and, in many cases, should not be used regularly.

If any of you have REALLY benefitted from NATURAL REMEDIES I would be very grateful to hear from you.

abysimons

I was starting to get this, tingling in my feet, a bit sore when i woke up, loss of feeling in one of my feet and searched online. Found Thiamine research and started taking this about a month ago. I feel my feet are much better, less pins and needles and more feeling all over. I take 600g of thiamine a day and it really helps.

Listing the research i found:

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/diabetes-thiamine-treatment-opportunity/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18220605/
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...ave shown altered erythrocyte,studies (14-16)

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I was starting to get this, tingling in my feet, a bit sore when i woke up, loss of feeling in one of my feet and searched online. Found Thiamine research and started taking this about a month ago. I feel my feet are much better, less pins and needles and more feeling all over. I take 600g of thiamine a day and it really helps.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2011.02680.x#:~:text=Studies have shown altered erythrocyte,studies (14-16)
Thank you Aby - just the sort of helpful information I have been waiting for.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2011.02680.x#:~:text=Studies have shown altered erythrocyte,studies (14-16)
Forgive the follow up to mine of a few minutes ago. Have read through your kind references and found that Thiamine x 300mg x daily is a HIGH dose. You say you take 600mg x daily - can you comment abount this please - I see that you appear to be of slight stature in your pic - so wonder about bodyweight and your dose - thank you in anticipation?