Weird or normal?

Duke34

First diagnosed T2 with random bloodtest at (10.4mmol) then fasting test results were (8.0mmol) and (16.0mmol), now after only 2 weeks of changing my diet i recieved my new (Optimum Exceed Glucose Monitor) and decided to test after this evenings meal, it came out at (5.4mmol) to my ashtonisment :***: and i tested again to make sure. is this normal? (still awaiting first Habc1 results)

ClaireG 06

Was that 2 hours after your meal? If you can it's best to test before your meal and then again 2hrs after, your aiming for the levels to be pretty much the same.

It sounds like whatever your doing diet wise is obviously working for you :D

RussG

Dietary changes will work pretty quickly if you're T2. Claire's right - 5.4 is a good reading for any time of the day really, pre or post meal.

Duke34

ClaireG 06 said:
Was that 2 hours after your meal? If you can it's best to test before your meal and then again 2hrs after, your aiming for the levels to be pretty much the same.

It sounds like whatever your doing diet wise is obviously working for you :D

yeah about 2 hours after i had a peri-peri chicken rap and fries, other than that most days i eat tuna salad , chicken salad, jacket potatoes, wholegrain bread, fish, and cheese, toast,id say probably only gettin about 150-200 carbs a day and i also cut sugar,chocolate,white bread,biscuits.crisps out completly ;/ :think:

Grazer

That's good, so you are diabetic but you're controlling it with diet. Lots of confusion will come, but you'll get used to it! Welcome

Duke34

Quick update: b4 and after meals (2hours)

Friday: 5.3 - 5.9
Sat: 5.5 - 5.8

Sun: 4.8, after a roast chicken dinner (used my last strip)

4,8!???

Gonna try a new meter this cant be correct..

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Duke34, if you suspect your meter isn't correct, you can get a control solution from your meter manufacturer to check it. They may also send you a replacement meter if you ring them about your suspicions.

Ann

Grazer

Duke34 said:
Sun: 4.8, after a roast chicken dinner (used my last strip)

4,8!???

Gonna try a new meter this cant be correct..

It can! Suprisingly, not that many carbs in a roast dinner, unless you have loads of potatos and parsnips. Did you have a sunday lunchtime drink before lunch? That will do it - I always get a low reading (sometimes high 4s) if I have a drink first. Alcohol lowers your blood sugar levels.

Grazer

Duke34 said:
Had a few pints of lager yes, and had half mash half cauliflower with plenty of other veg hmmm....

There ya go then! By the way, if you swap the mashed potato for the same amount of potato roasted, tends to be better. The fat slows down the release of sugar into the blood. Mashing releases the starch and can make it worse. Doesn't matter obviously after a few pints of lager though!

Duke34

So.. first HbA1c result = 7.1
Still on diet only
through this past week readings were mid 7's

when you said lots of confusion will come..you were not kidding - today before meal 8.0 and 2 hours later, after whole potatoes, peas, and boiled white fish = 4.7! :crazy:

how can i drop 3.3% after dinner ^^?