Gp rang

Lbooker

Gp just rang and said i have t2 diabetes. Unlucky i guess but its a knock on effect from having cancer 7 years ago. I will be seeing diabetic nurse next week for my first appointment.... what can i expect from that appointment? He said it more than likely will be diet control and bloods every 3 month

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Gp just rang and said i have t2 diabetes. Unlucky i guess but its a knock on effect from having cancer 7 years ago. I will be seeing diabetic nurse next week for my first appointment.... what can i expect from that appointment? He said it more than likely will be diet control and bloods every 3 month

The NHS diet control casues a lot of controversy in these forums. Most likely you'll be shown the 'Eat well' plate but it isn't neccessarily good for diabetes.

Many people on this forum and indeed diabetes.co.uk are advocates of low carb diets for diabetes. A forward thinking nutritionist might steer you in this direction but it's rare for this to happen.

One of our long standing members @JoKalsbeek has some great nutrition advice for T2's.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: VashtiB

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is going to sound stupid probably, but I don't quite grasp how T2 develops from having had cancer? It's genetic for the most part, unless brought on by steroids, statins or other medication. (The cancer itself could be relatively innocent in this case, the treatment of it, however?) Unless you had pancreatic cancer, then it'd be type 3, not two... And that might require a different treatment, depending on how much insulin you still make. Just putting it out there, in case your treatment depends on it, it's stuff to ask the nurse about? Maybe, if there's a question of insulin production versus insulin sensitivity, you might want to ask for a C-peptide test to make sure they're not barking up the wrong tree. You've already gotten the link to The Nutritional Thingy, so you already know how to tackle dietary control of T2, but to be on the safe side, here it is again: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ So what can you expect.... Right now, with covid in the mix, I don't quite know. Normally you'd get a once-over, check heart, blood pressure, get a foot check, and probably get an eye-check done as well. Get on the scales, that sort of thing. Maybe more bloodwork for kidney and liver function, as well as cholesterol, unless that was done recently already. At the mo, no clue what all of that is done right now. But just make a list of all the things you want to ask the nurse, and make sure to bring a pen to note down the answers. And request all your test results, if you can't access them online already. (Some practices offer that service).

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: KK123 and Lbooker

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The gp said avoid refined carbs.. is that basically everything white like bread rice ect..
*sigh*
....It's not just refined carbs, it's just about all carbs. Refined ones are usually the worst, and hit your body the hardest. But don't for a moment believe wholemeal does less damage.

Reactions: Lbooker

Lbooker

I went into surgical menopause at 36. Developed severly high blood pressure at 40 due to this ive now developed t2. Everythings a knock on effect from the cancer and treatment. Im getting things earlier than normal ie bp etc because of it. Cancer didnt cause me to get diabetes .. its a series of health issues due to it. If this makes sense

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went into surgical menopause at 36. Developed severly high blood pressure at 40 due to this ive now developed t2. Everythings a knock on effect from the cancer and treatment. Im getting things earlier than normal ie bp etc because of it. Cancer didnt cause me to get diabetes .. its a series of health issues due to it. If this makes sense
It does. Reason why I ask is a lot of doctors don't even know type 3 exists, and that more often than not requires insulin. But from the sound of it, T2 is indeed likely. That's good though: you can do a lot about it yourself, and get it under control right quick. And as an aside, I had normal blood pressure when I changed my eating... I'm usually low now. So if you're on blood pressure medication, keep an eye out for the room turning black when you stand up, you might need to change your dosage if you change your diet.

Lbooker

Thank you so much. Im on 3 lots of meds for bp. Going to give that link a look. Get today over with. Curry tonight postive mental attitude from tomorrow. Happy new year

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. Im on 3 lots of meds for bp. Going to give that link a look. Get today over with. Curry tonight postive mental attitude from tomorrow. Happy new year
Have faith that it'll be a new start. I know I felt absolutely horrible when I was diagnosed, just existed rather than lived. Once I got my blood sugars under control, a whole lot followed suit, and for someone who's got a bunch of chronic conditions, well... I could be doing a lot worse. ;) What it comes down to... It gets better from here on in. Believe it.

Reactions: EllieM and Lbooker

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add to the topic of BP, I was on two meds when I was diagnosed Type 2, I went low carb straight away from advice here. I subsequently lost a shed load of weight and started to see stars when I stood up! Long story short I’ve dropped one BP med and slashed the dose of the remaining one. All the best for your appt @Lbooker

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curry is good! I just had some for lunch with cauliflower rice.
Good luck with your onward journey. You'll do well I'm sure.

Reactions: VashtiB and Lbooker

Lbooker

Hopefully i will see positive results all round with changing my diet. I must admit over the last couple of years ive let myself go a bit. Happy and healthy new year to you all

Reactions: Rachox

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is going to sound stupid probably, but I don't quite grasp how T2 develops from having had cancer? It's genetic for the most part, unless brought on by steroids, statins or other medication. (The cancer itself could be relatively innocent in this case, the treatment of it, however?) Unless you had pancreatic cancer, then it'd be type 3, not two... And that might require a different treatment, depending on how much insulin you still make. Just putting it out there, in case your treatment depends on it, it's stuff to ask the nurse about? Maybe, if there's a question of insulin production versus insulin sensitivity, you might want to ask for a C-peptide test to make sure they're not barking up the wrong tree. You've already gotten the link to The Nutritional Thingy, so you already know how to tackle dietary control of T2, but to be on the safe side, here it is again: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ So what can you expect.... Right now, with covid in the mix, I don't quite know. Normally you'd get a once-over, check heart, blood pressure, get a foot check, and probably get an eye-check done as well. Get on the scales, that sort of thing. Maybe more bloodwork for kidney and liver function, as well as cholesterol, unless that was done recently already. At the mo, no clue what all of that is done right now. But just make a list of all the things you want to ask the nurse, and make sure to bring a pen to note down the answers. And request all your test results, if you can't access them online already. (Some practices offer that service).

Good luck!
Jo
I took Tamoxifen for 5 years following treatment for breast cancer and put on 3 stone in weight. Convinced this triggered strong family linked type 2 diabetes. My mum and brother both bigger than me developed it much younger than I did. I was always slim before. Took off weight with low carb diet!! Normalised blood sugar but think it will have gone up with lockdown etc. Have put half a stone on somehow

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too! I was on 4 BP meds and got off of all of them for a couple of years. I am now back on a low dose of just one. Low carb did it for me.
I’m the same I was on 8mg of Candasartan which has now been reduced to 4ng.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello & Welcome. Jo's nutritional thingy link has got a lot of great ideas for starting off. They are a very friendly, knowledgeable, helpful bunch on here - any questions just ask and you'll usually get an answer from someone ...:)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Read the link given by @JoKalsbeek - it is great!.

Yes I agree with everyone above- it is all carbs- just all. Unfortunately many in the medical profession are a bit behind the times in relation to type 2 diabetes. They consider it a progressive disease that can be helped by weight loss but basically once diagnosed no going back. This is simply not true. My only HbA1c that was in the diabetic range was the one that gave me the diagnosis. All the later ones have been in the normal range thanks to this site. I'm still a diabetic as I'm still intolerant to carbs but I should continue to be asymptomatic if I can keep my blood sugar levels into the normal range.

You will be fine- you have already 'met' some amazing g people on here and you can 'meet' more by sticking around and posting.

Good luck and welcome.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Along with a good diet, don’t forget about exercise. A couple of 15 minute walks per day would be a great start. Stationary bike, treadmill, stairs are some other ideas. Getting out for a nice walk is great mentally too.

it gets good, I’m 10 months into my lifestyle change, I couldn’t imagine going back, I feel fantastic. Good luck on your journey!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Tamoxifen for 5 years following treatment for breast cancer and put on 3 stone in weight. Convinced this triggered strong family linked type 2 diabetes. My mum and brother both bigger than me developed it much younger than I did. I was always slim before. Took off weight with low carb diet!! Normalised blood sugar but think it will have gone up with lockdown etc. Have put half a stone on somehow
That's why I asked, well, partly anyway. Whether it was medication induced (likely T2) or from the actual cancer itself (T3), and really, to learn a bit as well. Never know when it may come in handy, when someone else comes in with a similar situation. Thanks for sharing your experience, and adding a little knowledge to my memory banks! (I put on weight too, by the way. 2020 had some mysterious, possibly magical way of doing that, it seems!)

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's why I asked, well, partly anyway. Whether it was medication induced (likely T2) or from the actual cancer itself (T3), and really, to learn a bit as well. Never know when it may come in handy, when someone else comes in with a similar situation. Thanks for sharing your experience, and adding a little knowledge to my memory banks! (I put on weight too, by the way. 2020 had some mysterious, possibly magical way of doing that, it seems!)
I have discovered macadamia and pecan nuts during lockdown which I didn’t eat before but I don’t eat THAT many!