"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Baked good aren't my thing, with no temptation to change, but this company came up on my Facebook page today. I'd not heard of them before, unless hey are DGF in another guise.

https://www.noguiltbakes.co.uk/

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - As son gets busy with his new sous vide stick, I was showing him how well your joint came out. He mentioned to me that one way to quickly brown/sear any meat done sous vide is to apply a thin coat of mayonnaise then sear in a pan as normal. He even directed me to the science behind it

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/04/what-is-maillard-reaction-cooking-science.html

He assured me the meat does not taste of mayo and it sears a lot quicker than oil or butter thus not letting the meat start to cook further.

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sugarlisa - so as not to derail the other thread, I thought I'd tag you here.

Those clothes being a bit big must be frustrating and pleasing in equal measure.

I must admit when I lost weight after diagnosis, I had a number of things from charity shops, as things settled -else it costs a fortune.

I used to think charity shops would be naff, but there's all sorts in there!

This is where most of the chatter happens from the main thread. Feel free too join in if you ever want to.

Sugarlisa

@Sugarlisa - so as not to derail the other thread, I thought I'd tag you here.

Those clothes being a bit big must be frustrating and pleasing in equal measure.

I must admit when I lost weight after diagnosis, I had a number of things from charity shops, as things settled -else it costs a fortune.

I used to think charity shops would be naff, but there's all sorts in there!

This is where most of the chatter happens from the main thread. Feel free too join in if you ever want to.

The joys I volunteer for a charity shop so normally I shop for new outfits but now it be smaller bits

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The joys I volunteer for a charity shop so normally I shop for new outfits but now it be smaller bits

We have a couple of excellent charity shops locally, and one of them has a lady of my dimensions, who appears to favour quality brands. How lucky is that?

We do try to support the shops by donating too, but sometimes it feels like I pay to donate (as something catches my eye)!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - As son gets busy with his new sous vide stick, I was showing him how well your joint came out. He mentioned to me that one way to quickly brown/sear any meat done sous vide is to apply a thin coat of mayonnaise then sear in a pan as normal. He even directed me to the science behind it

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/04/what-is-maillard-reaction-cooking-science.html

He assured me the meat does not taste of mayo and it sears a lot quicker than oil or butter thus not letting the meat start to cook further.

Yes I’ve seen this too! It’s been linked on the sous vide fb group I belong to and it certainly worked well for the pork tenderloin we had a couple of weeks ago. Please thank your son from me, he may well belong to the same fb group. Perhaps it was him that posted it?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a bad turn over Christmas so any celebration cancelled. I've spent the last several days on a diet of room temperature milk - not heated and not chilled - both were impossible. Feeling more able to eat now so I've roasted some veg and some bits of sausage for today's meal and we'll see how it goes. It wasn't a great help that the shops here ran out of milk on 23rd December and sold out very rapidly on 24th, so I was lucky to manage to get hold of 6 litres which kept me going over these days. Neil went to town this morning and came back with 6 litres and then No 2 son turned up with another 2 this afternoon. Now that I don't really need it, I will have to find ways of using it up before it goes off. Talk about Feast or Famine.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb - I hope you are feeling better. xx

Woo HOOO this morning I had my annual diabetes and blood pressure review - Hba1c was 28 (huge shock after my high BG trials and tribulations back last summer).** Cholesterol was 5.1 and BP was 125 / 78. The appointment was with a lovely new DN who was actually REALLY interested in what I eat.

Best of all, when she weighed me her scales showed me as 1st 2lbs less than my bathroom scales so we went in to a doctor's room and weighed me again on another set and her scales were correct. We are now wondering what Mr C weighs!

** @ianpspurs - do you remember last year I said my Hba1c was much lower than I had thought it would be based on my finger prick BG tests, well I think that is what's happened again.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Woo HOOO this morning I had my annual diabetes and blood pressure review - Hba1c was 28 (huge shock after my high BG trials and tribulations back last summer).** Cholesterol was 5.1 and BP was 125 / 78. The appointment was with a lovely new DN who was actually REALLY interested in what I eat.

Best of all, when she weighed me her scales showed me as 1st 2lbs less than my bathroom scales so we went in to a doctor's room and weighed me again on another set and her scales were correct. We are now wondering what Mr C weighs!

** @ianpspurs - do you remember last year I said my Hba1c was much lower than I had thought it would be based on my finger prick BG tests, well I think that is what's happened again.

Yes, thanks. Much improved.

Great results. You really are a winner!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Excellent results. Well done.

Have you still been doing the very low cal (ignoring the festivities)?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Amazing results you little superstar. Happy New year - you must be walking on air. Couldn't have had a better end to the year and couldn't be anyone deserve those results more.:woot::woot:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Excellent results. Well done.

Have you still been doing the very low cal (ignoring the festivities)?

Yes, but had time off for good behaviour over Christmas and another three days this weekend. Its actually reasonably easy for me to eat very low calorie because (due to various annoying reasons) I'm very sedentary. The weight loss has slowed down to 1-2lbs a week and I'm comfortable with that as long as my BGs are in a happy place.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy New Year All.

Em says she and her family are going to write down on good paper and using their very best writing all the bad things about 2020, then they are going to make a bonfire of all the Christmas packaging and burn 2020 on it!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow @Chook youve done so well on all fronts well done you and a wonderful start for 2021. Amazing news re your faulty scales too wonderful New Year pressie. Must feel good too to have support from a new DN who actually listened and shared your joy on your results.
Happy new year x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chook that is brilliant on all counts! I’m so pleased for you, it’s very well deserved. Many congratulations.