New meter very different results to old meter

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use whichever meter you wish they are all much of a muchness although we all have our favourites. Stick to it and use it for comparative readings not absolute readings as none are accurate enough for that and you blood glucose will change hour by hour. Consistency is more important than absolute accuracy. Test before meals and after meals at at any other time you wish to particularly if you feel odd. I now only test once a day or when I eat a new, for me, food. For what it's worth if the surgery is supplying you with test strips go for that one.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks everyone.
Quick question, what is test solution and what does it do and how do you use it? I’m assuming the small bottle that came with my kit years ago is it but I’ve never known what it was for. Not sure the new meter has it

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
To be honest, @woolgal if your meter and strips are being funded by your GP, then it's likely worth taking a view on what the average difference is and work with a bit of a mental correction as you goi along, then have a prompt A1c to sense check the approach.

This time of the year, with varied work and eating patterns, plus the inevitable COVID stresses, sleep atec., etc., even the most stable can have some wonkiness in their lives, so maybe let things settle a ittle more.

As T2s, wholly or largely depending on diet for our control, it's the trends we're looking for, rather then the absolutes. (Although, there's nothing nicer than a nice, neat little number shining back at us.) So, best not to stress too much on the numbers and look to the graphs and trends.

If after a few weeks things are still well adrift, you shrug and move on, or ask your GP is there are any other options.

Too many sources of data - all of which are subject to variations - are not helpful, in my opinion.
I think the ranges once I eat are within the 2 it’s just they are higher to start with so end up higher,
I had some bad days over Xmas and now my fasting ones first thing are in the 9s and I can’t get them down, during the day I can’t get them to drop below 6. I seem to be getting false hypos as 6 which is frustrating,
Hopefully they will settle down again soon, I’m eating pretty good again now,

Reactions: Oldvatr

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.
Quick question, what is test solution and what does it do and how do you use it? I’m assuming the small bottle that came with my kit years ago is it but I’ve never known what it was for. Not sure the new meter has it
If you look on the side of a tub of strips it will probably have a reading you should get if you test a drop of solution instead of blood. As has been said above it is actually a range of readings corresponding to the allowed accuracy of the meter. There are usually A and B ranges to correspond with A and B solutions. Unless the meter is actually broken, or the strips are old or damaged by damp, the control solutions are not very useful.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Bug bear of mine that nobody produces a test solution that is exactly say 6 mmol/L.
That way you could test the accuracy of your meter anytime.
Have it in a small bottle like vape juice.

Perhaps evaporation or sunlight might effect the efficacy of the solution but in my head it should exist.
Control solution is only to prove the meter is test within its allowed range

If I use control solution on my meter a result between 6.2 and 7.8 is deemed ok

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Where do I get the control solution from? id be happy to keep my old meters but the trust has changed the machines for cost cutting (how it’s cost cutting when I already haveq perfectly good meters, so I need to get used to the new machine. I can still use my old one because I have a stock of strips but at some point I’ll run out,

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Where do I get the control solution from? id be happy to keep my old meters but the trust has changed the machines for cost cutting (how it’s cost cutting when I already haveq perfectly good meters, so I need to get used to the new machine. I can still use my old one because I have a stock of strips but at some point I’ll run out,
Contact the meter manufacturer as they are different for each

Reactions: woollygal

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Register your glucorx Meter on line, you have access to batterys, control solutions,
and leads. Bluetooth dongle you have to buy