What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal - thanks for giving me a shout. :)

@Loz8 - like @Goonergal says, cheese, uncoated fish - frozen, tinned, smoked or fresh - (I eat LOTS of fish) - also some veggie products like Linda McCartney (her mozzarella burgers are lovely), Naked Glory, Alt products from Tesco, Oumph and uncoated quorn products. Then there is tofu, seitan and konjac - which I have tried and tasted okay but all of which disagreed with me.

I eat a lot of cauliflower rice or courgette cut in to ribbons with a speed peeler (fried in garlic oil or butter with fresh herbs chopped in and fresh lime or lemon juice) most often with prawns or chopped smoked salmon and asparagus.

I make spicy casseroles with low carb veg like swede, celeriac and butternut squash thickened with a few lentils.

Hope this helps.
Ah, you've reminded me @Chook - cauliflower rice risotto with wild mushrooms or green veggies like asparagus/broccoli/spinach or a seafood risotto.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone and happy new year. Hope 2021 will be much better and no more lockdowns.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with steak tartare and mayonnaise. A slice of Aldi protein bread with mayonnaise and tomatoes.

Dinner: Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan. A DD keto roll with steak tartare and mayonnaise. Red wine.

It will be 2021 in 15 minutes, so will change into something festive and open a bottle of bubbly.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 30 December - bed 6.7 FBG 5.7. Decided today was the day to go out to pick up bits and bobs. Visited Tesco and got yet another Lego bargain. Handy as eldest grandson coming along for a few hours on Thursday.

B. TAG and two slices SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing out and about getting bits and bobs and 20kg rock salt grit. As @Mrs T 123 said plenty snow and ice about. Dodgy for someone with a crutch.
D. Leftover lamb from yesterday with veggie chips. Found yet another LC creme brulee with 2 strawberries. Definitely the last creme brulee.

Today - Thursday 31 December - bed 6.7 FBG 6.5. Grandson complaining a bit at being prised out into the icy weather but soon got over it. We made cheesy pretzels and extreme concentration building his first Lego Technic. Got to the stage he didn't want to go home.

B. TAG and yet again SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Another TAG and a DGF no carrot cake.
D. 2 slices of SLC bread, freshly roasted chicken, sliced tomato and mayo. 2 squares Godiva.

Later with probably nibble on some plain mixed nuts with a blackcurrant gin and zero lemonade.

Happy new year everyone. I know it's coming with sadness for me but I can hope other issues resolve themselves. A return to a normal life would be a good start.
Happy-New-year-2021-wishes.jpg

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Happy new year to you and your family let's pray that this year bring much needed peace and its a good one for us all let's pray that this virus can be eradicated and life can go back to some normality and no more lockdowns

Yesterday

Breaky found baked beans that had no sugar so heated with Two slices sourdough toast and black coffee

Snack
Sponge cake with coffee not low carb but enjoyed Amy way

Dinner made chicken and veal meatballs cooked in airfryer turned out nice a moist and made a tomato sauce and zucchini noodles a glass of wine

Was cleaning the plates after dinner to prepare sitting in front of TV and veg out with wine to see 2020 away when my next door neighbour popped around to invite me over for a few drinks at her and hubbies place for drink and nibbles at 8ish fot an hour or so popped over another neighbour was also there. We all had such a good time and next minute it was 2am haha....

Sadly there has been curfews no more than 5 in houses for new years yet still allow crowds to attend cricket and soccer and shopping etc .... I'm stll scratching my head about these rules for covid19 I'm not trying to stir the pot but am questioning some of this restrictions

Today

Surprisingly woke up early but stayed in bed then got up at 9ish

Breaky

Cooked ham with scrambled eggs sourdough buttered toast and coffee ate 1/2 so leftovers for another meal. Was just starting to eat when a knock on the door my sister popped around for quick visit which was nice...

Dinner I have t bone steak in the fridge which I may cook with vegetables or will have leftover meatballs oh and more wine it's new year after all...haha

https://www.metrolyrics.com/merry-christmas-war-is-over-lyrics-john-lennon.html

Screenshot_20210101-113949_Chrome.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Happy New Year everyone - I hope the coming year is better for all of us!

I stayed up until midnight and was in bed by five past - then was kept awake by firework parties and groups of tiddly people in various stages of undress staggering home from illicit parties. So much for social distancing. :meh: Nothing changes in this corner of Yorkshire.

Breakfast was M&S Arbroath kippers

Lunch was a crispbread with low fat cream cheese and a few pomegranate seeds on top

Dinner will be Alt (beef flavour this time), sprouts and cauliflower, maple roast parsnips and roast carrots, gravy and a fresh plum for dessert.

A celebratory glass or two of wine will be consumed.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oooh - meant to ask to those that have both instant pots and air fryers - which one gets the most use in your house and if you had to be without one of them which would you keep and why?

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh - meant to ask to those that have both instant pots and air fryers - which one gets the most use in your house and if you had to be without one of them which would you keep and why?

Air fryer is used more here. So if forced, I’d keep that - often use it more than once a day and very good for quick meals. I mean like 15-20 mins quick.

However I wouldn’t want to get rid of the Instant Pot without at least having a slow cooker. Although I mainly use the pressure function these days, having the ability to stick food in it in the morning and return to a delicious meal later in the day is invaluable. That said, some of the things I do most often in the IP - short rib, lamb shoulder etc can be done in the oven, just not left all day and it’s a lot better to use the IP when the weather is warm.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Depends how many I’m cooking for. An airfryer is brilliant if just Paul and I, but mine’s a Lidl one and maybe not so big as other makes. I couldn’t do a meal for 4 in one sitting in it.
IP however can easily cope with bulk cooking and extras can be frozen so I often use it for making stew/ curry etc that can be portioned up for other days.
On balance my vote is for IP at the moment. It has slow cooker function too plus the inner pot is now often used as the container for the sous vide stick.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A meal and a bit today! Arrived home from my walk very hungry so had a few pieces of leftover beef from yesterday while the main meal of roast lamb shoulder cooked. Added a rub of salt and paprika to the skin - delicious. Good start to World Carnivore month.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening. Tricky little spell for me just now trying to balance LC whilst avoiding gout but eating enough to sleep later. Little space for festive food and drink. Today’s attempt was: B:Tea: Mid morning: CWCSFHS: Late lunch: TWAM and SLC gammon roll : EM:, Mackerel salad, vits, water: Hopefully I won't live to regret the gammon but may freeze the pheasant planned for tomorrow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Joining in with world carnivore month, but allowing myself eggs and dairy
Brunch: cheesy scrambled eggs
Dinner: Waitrose 1 Cumberland sausages with a couple of fried eggs.
Paul has just found a lump of Cornish Yarg in the boot of his car - we were using it as an extra fridge/ larder over Christmas and the Yarg must have rolled off the plate. Good thing he found it before it started to pong. Had a sliver of it to qc it.
@ianpspurs good luck with the gout avoidance, my dad suffered with it and I know it was agony. In his case it was often bought on by eating a lot of cherry tomatoes from his greenhouse in the summer, but I doubt you eat that many of them.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy New Year to one and all

I had a rum or 2 in to the wee hours just watching the tv - just hogmanay shows

Brunch - 1 slice slc bread toasted with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - (traditional new year's day dinner of) steak pie (with just a little bit of the pastry) - I used to luv steak pie before the big D and was a regular favourite of mine) with cauliflower cheese, broccoli, a little carrot & 2 small potatoes (I used to luv my tatties too especially with mince in the winter time). A slither or 2 of strawberry cheesecake (naughty!) with very thick double cream and some double cream drizzled over the top.

After a naughty day or few - it is time for me to get back on the lc wagon - sometimes diabetes is a proper pain in the .................

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coconut bites.
Dinner: paté spread on folded ham slices, leafy salad, some mixed nuts and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Joining in with world carnivore month, but allowing myself eggs and dairy
Brunch: cheesy scrambled eggs
Dinner: Waitrose 1 Cumberland sausages with a couple of fried eggs.
Paul has just found a lump of Cornish Yarg in the boot of his car - we were using it as an extra fridge/ larder over Christmas and the Yarg must have rolled off the plate. Good thing he found it before it started to pong. Had a sliver of it to qc it.
@ianpspurs good luck with the gout avoidance, my dad suffered with it and I know it was agony. In his case it was often bought on by eating a lot of cherry tomatoes from his greenhouse in the summer, but I doubt you eat that many of them.
Hope carnivore moth goes well. I know I couldn't do that so admiration for you. Thank you for the concern over gout. My gout seems to come with dehydration through some bug or other and is made worse with foods which are high in purines. Balancing act is working so far with small preventative dose of naproxen. Well done on finding the yarg before it made itself known.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to be good today as we have have yet another birthday celebration tomorrow, last one finally!
So fasted until 3pm and filled in the time witth a very cold and long walk.
3pm a small handful nuts and 6 cheese crisps
6pm small part of a 3 fish roast with cabbage. Ff greek with chia seeds and raspberries.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one each of chipolata sausage, slice bacon, egg and hm lc toast
Lunch one slice of lc toast with pate
Dinner hm beef curry , with teaspoon of chutney , and gin with soda water followed by DGF salted caramel brownie with cream.
Planning to take tree down tomorrow as it’s starting to look a bit droopy - so it needs to go back out into the garden until next year. Brought it indoors a bit earlier this year and needed heating on quite high for my mum and think tree hasn’t appreciated the heat but hoping it will spring back when outdoors.
Watching New Years concert from Vienna - an annual tradition but it’s a bit odd with only a Zoom audience. Hoping to get back to swimming on Monday we’ve just been moved into tier 3 now but pool still open - for now! Didn’t go swimming over Christmas as was concerned about going out while mum here - at 90 really did not want to take any risks but now she’s safe back at hers can go again. She’s waiting for her vaccination but they seem to be really slow getting on with vaccination in her area. We’ve been asked to keep ringing her surgery daily when they are open to see if any slots released but systems different in different areas. Our area a central team ring you if eligible in a set order so mum couldn’t get her jab here. Very difficult for elderly folk to have to ring daily and wait in a queue to find out if they have availability yet. No doubt after new year long weekend it will be an even longer queue on phone on Monday am.
@ziggy_w did you watch Dinner for one this New Year’s Eve as usual? You introduced me to it it’s hilarious.

Last edited:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Lactose-Free Cheese, Salami, Chorizo, Cherry Tomatoes and Coffee with Lactose-Free Cream and Sugar Free Gingerbread Syrup
No Lunch - Picked at nuts and had a couple of No Guilt Bake cake bites
Dinner - Burgers, Lactose-Free Cheese and Salad

Spent most of the last couple of hours trying to decide on dinner and trying really hard not to order a takeaway. Home alone and have been struggling with mental health today :depressed::grumpy:

A like for he food and a hug for your situation

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I 'm just going to list my food the day after therefore yesterday was
FBG 7.9
Breakfast was 2 fried eggs ( in olive oil ) 2 small rashers of bacon ( grilled ) dry fried mushrooms ...2 w/m toast with butter ..cup of tea .
snack of blue brie
lunch ...tuna ( tinned and drained ) green salad black olives.
mid afternoon ..brandy snap with whipped double cream frozen raspberries ( treat very yummy )
Evening meal .... roast chicken 1 roastie .. 2 small yorkies ( not the dogs lol ) swede mashed with butter and black pepper and low carb gravy .
Total carbs for the day 85 .