Libre and Post-Meal Monitoring

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I've started using the Libre to log my meal carbs and bolus dose (as well as the scan value) - I do this all on my pump anyway but thought it would be good to see the visual too on the Libre data.

I was wondering this: do I need to scan after the meal - say in two hours to capture the most likely post-meal spike, or is this done automatically as long I scan again within the next 8 hours after the last scan? I've seen on my graph that I had the white box with the spike value in it but I want to know if I need to remember to do the scan myself fastidiously or if it will log it for me. I'll still likely scan some time after the meal to correct if needs be anyway, but I just wanted to capture as much useful data as I could.

Also, if anyone has any other tips about using the Libre to check if your carb ratios are right, I'd love to hear them

Thanks!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you scan the libre the reader or phone (whichever you are using) will get the last 8 hours data from the sensor, and the sensor records data on its own every 15 mins as long as you do scan at least every 8 hours you will have full coverage.
Note: Sometimes the sensor/reader will seemingly not have some readings for every 5 mins of the last 8 hours but that does just sometimes happen (as in every so often I find there's an hour gap but it was still well within the last 8 hours, I can only assume said sensor was having some issues with readings)

Reactions: paulpapa

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've started using the Libre to log my meal carbs and bolus dose (as well as the scan value) - I do this all on my pump anyway but thought it would be good to see the visual too on the Libre data.

I was wondering this: do I need to scan after the meal - say in two hours to capture the most likely post-meal spike, or is this done automatically as long I scan again within the next 8 hours after the last scan? I've seen on my graph that I had the white box with the spike value in it but I want to know if I need to remember to do the scan myself fastidiously or if it will log it for me. I'll still likely scan some time after the meal to correct if needs be anyway, but I just wanted to capture as much useful data as I could.

Also, if anyone has any other tips about using the Libre to check if your carb ratios are right, I'd love to hear them

Thanks!

Hi,

I'll be honest, I find the Libre link app not visual enough whilst on the go?
I use a Bluetooth bridge sending the signal to an "indie" app.. I did start scanning with "Glimp" (A free app.) Then found xDrip more stable on my device when going CGM?
The beauty with a "CGM" set ups is you can fix an in range & alarms for when you start to drift outside of those boundaries (like going low.). You can set your insulin to carb ratios & it can "predict." You get a more detailed graph plotting every 5 minutes. & the readings can be calibrated to your meter.

Note: Sometimes the sensor/reader will seemingly not have some readings for every 5 mins of the last 8 hours but that does just sometimes happen (as in every so often I find there's an hour gap but it was still well within the last 8 hours, I can only assume said sensor was having some issues with readings)

I see the sensor memory on "8 hours" a little like the memory of a dash cam. It "overwrites" new data as it goes rolling into the next 8 hour cycle?
Sometimes there can be a glitch or corruption in this process.?

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
I have only been doing this since September when I was diagnosed but I tested 8 times a day (minimum) for 90 days with a glucomen areo and got my 7 day average to 6mmol. This is what allowed me to become eligible for a libre. I have to test like that anyway because of the job I do, plus I figure the more you know the easier it will be, knowledge is power!! So I scan a minimum of every two hours anyway with the libre and find I don't suffer with corrupted data. If it's there use it...but don't obsess...well obsess a little bit but enjoy yourself still!! Happy new year jx