Type 1 Working in secondary school

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all and happy new year! I’m supposedly going back to work next week to work in support at a secondary. I’ve been asked if I want to help with mass testing in the school. I’m going to say no. Question is, I am type 1 diabetic, epileptic, coeliac and have an under active thyroid so with having these vulnerabilities I’m not sure what to say? Will I need a risk assessment? The government obviously don’t have a clue when they say ‘one way systems’ in corridors and ‘no mixing of students’ as they mustn’t know 16 year olds. Is anyone else in my position? I know epilepsy and diabetes gives me two vulnerabilities, but coeliac disease and thyroid disease also are autoimmune conditions. I don’t want to be seen to be different however. thanks.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you look under the general chat, there's a thread to do with covid and work that you might find helpful/interesting.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I won't be signing up for testing students either. I believe you have very good medical reasons to say no.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you look under the general chat, there's a thread to do with covid and work that you might find helpful/interesting.

Sorry I’m a bit rubbish on here. I can’t find General Chat

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. I’ll just have to sit tight and see if I’m offered a risk assessment. I’m going to say I don’t want to be involved in testing at any rate. That’s easy enough and you don’t need a reason.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
There might be a middle way. Say that you are willing to record results, do clerical stuff but not actually test???

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea. Shows willing. I want to stay as safe as possible but don’t like being defined by all of my chronics Thanks for that. X

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Maybe I'm being naive (BJ procrastinates) but does anyone else think there's a good chance that UK schools won't reopen in January, at least not for children of non essential workers...?

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I'm being naive (BJ procrastinates) but does anyone else think there's a good chance that UK schools won't reopen in January, at least not for children of non essential workers...?

I’m thinking that but unfortunately I support vulnerable kids and those of essential workers. They have been told they can go in from the 4th.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a teacher in Secondary, with T2 and hypothyroid, husband just diagnosed with severe COPD. I am terrified - more for him than myself. Definitely feel the same as you.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a teacher in Secondary, with T2 and hypothyroid, husband just diagnosed with severe COPD. I am terrified - more for him than myself. Definitely feel the same as you.

I know It’s awful. I don’t think we will have a risk assessment, there’s no time. I have an under active thyroid too, but don’t think they would believe me if I added that to the previous three This school doesn’t know my medical history as the last one knew too much, and I was bullied by the Head. I’d be happier going back in a fortnight once we know what the effect of non compliance over new year has resulted in. Take care x

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know It’s awful. I don’t think we will have a risk assessment, there’s no time. I have an under active thyroid too, but don’t think they would believe me if I added that to the previous three This school doesn’t know my medical history as the last one knew too much, and I was bullied by the Head. I’d be happier going back in a fortnight once we know what the effect of non compliance over new year has resulted in. Take care x
You too, Connie :)

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Work have e mailed me to ask if I have any ‘conditions’ ( how long you got? ). I’m just wondering if people who are vulnerable will be working at home to support live lessons now? We have essential workers kids and those with an EHCP in today at my secondary. Wouldn’t be surprised if I was missed off the rota now. I’m anxious about work but also don’t like to raise my head above the parapet. Plus I hate working at home as it’s lonely