Hypo treatment | Sick of dextrose tablets

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
My saviour is pure orange juice, I tend to sip on a 150-200ml carton abit when doing big house cleans to stay in the safe range. Always gives me just what I need without going too high!

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Oh and also you can try the raspberry dextrose tablets they are really nice if you fancy a different. Flavour, I take them out with me whilst dog walking

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
View attachment 46299 May i ask, what you have after the sweets? Couple of nights ago ate 3 strawberry bonbons, owned by my youngest who luckily left them in the kitchen, but it is hard to not overshoot and be 18 all night if i eat bread etc but the sweets are not long lasting enough.

Hey, I'm really new to all this but in my teens/ early 20's I was really in to the gym and counting carbs
View attachment 46299 May i ask, what you have after the sweets? Couple of nights ago ate 3 strawberry bonbons, owned by my youngest who luckily left them in the kitchen, but it is hard to not overshoot and be 18 all night if i eat bread etc but the sweets are not long lasting enough.

Hey, I'm really new to all of this as I've only been popping lantus and novorapid for 4 months but when I was a teen I was really in to the gym and diet control as I lifted weights 5 days a week. So carbs can be put in to three groups, monosaccharides, disaccharides, and polysaccharides. Mono are like glucose and really fast acting sugary stuff, di's are a little more complex and are things like lactose you find in milk. Poly are the complex, like oats and wholemeal based stuff which take hours to digest. Lactose has a good half life and won't 'spike' too much. Try having a milkshake made with sugar free crusha before bed and see how that works, 200ml first, then 400ml if you need to. Or a Weetabix with 200ml of milk. Nice slow digestion and your basil will keep you ticking over!! Please correct me if I'm wrong. Have a lovely Christmas

bmtest

Dextrose tablets are great but you are ever in a group lecture and shovel a few down the wrong way choking quickly takes precedence over hypo.

For me if you like wine gums use Aldis own brand at roughly 50p per bag and 4-6 gums should suffice.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi all

At the moment, I treat my hypos using either blackcurrant or lemon dextrose tablets, which I buy in bulk. Sadly, I’m beginning to get sick of the taste, and am wanting to switch to a different hypo treatment.

Can anybody suggest a good hypo treatment other than dextrose tablets and juice and coke?
A lot of sweets jelly babies... wine gums etc will work

For me though I don't like dextrose tablets so will only ever use them when needed.. wine gums though a different story...

Small kiddies size bottle of cola...

TimLibre

I use AA sport drink (Netherlands). It has about 15g of sugar in 100ml. It works faster than dextro energy, and it’s ideal when excersising/running. The drink gives a quick rise which doesnt last too long. Just beware not to deink too much at once;)