"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb - I hope you are feeling better. xx

Woo HOOO this morning I had my annual diabetes and blood pressure review - Hba1c was 28 (huge shock after my high BG trials and tribulations back last summer).** Cholesterol was 5.1 and BP was 125 / 78. The appointment was with a lovely new DN who was actually REALLY interested in what I eat.

Best of all, when she weighed me her scales showed me as 1st 2lbs less than my bathroom scales so we went in to a doctor's room and weighed me again on another set and her scales were correct. We are now wondering what Mr C weighs!

** @ianpspurs - do you remember last year I said my Hba1c was much lower than I had thought it would be based on my finger prick BG tests, well I think that is what's happened again.
Wooo hooo a big well done to you! Congratulations all your hard work has paid off! x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - glad you are feeling better. @Chook - what a result! Congratulations! @ianpspurs - the Hibees result against Rangers was a darn sight better than yesterday's result. They were blooming awful.

A Happy New year to one and all. I'm off to get a gin now.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2020 was an interesting year. Was travelling in Asia as Covid grew so had an adventure getting back, only to get my T 2 diagnosis over the phone with no follow up or help from the NHS at all. So very big thank you to all on here who have informed, helped and supported me.
Wishing us all a calmer and safe 2021

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - As son gets busy with his new sous vide stick, I was showing him how well your joint came out. He mentioned to me that one way to quickly brown/sear any meat done sous vide is to apply a thin coat of mayonnaise then sear in a pan as normal. He even directed me to the science behind it

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/04/what-is-maillard-reaction-cooking-science.html

He assured me the meat does not taste of mayo and it sears a lot quicker than oil or butter thus not letting the meat start to cook further.
Thank you for that link. Heston B often mentions that reaction and I have to own up to feeling comfortable with his ideas more than (m) any other cooking gurus. I don't eat meat that often so optimising the pleasure is quite important. Many thanks. Happy New Year.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
New Year's Day today. All's quiet here. Em was in yesterday evening, very excited about her new sewing machine and planning what she can make "for practice". DIL suggested making a cover for the machine first, and she will make one for her own at the same time so they work together and Em learns the process. DIL is really a very gifted woman. She can play musical instruments and sing (used to play professionally as part of a folk group), she is running her new(ish) laundry, she sews, makes clothes for herself, Em and grand daughter, doing alterations and making curtains for other people and when she has the time, making stuffed toys. Her only failing, as far as I can see, is that she's not good at keeping the house very tidy, but No 2 son can do that. The only time she can find time to do it is overnight when she can't sleep. Then she gets up and blitzes the house. Usually it is back to it's overnight state by lunchtime! Nobody can be good at everything.

Em is now able to put pillow cases into the big laundry press as opposed to "supervising" others but she was offering to help with the hand ironing last evening. But no - at 8 she is too young and vulnerable to burning. She was given an electric glue gun at Christmas for her "craft work" so figured, if she can handle it, she can handle an iron. We persuaded her that her hands are just too small so far, to manage an iron and ironing board. She does so want to be helpful.

Tonight's meal will be lamb chops - from the top of the leg, but not full gigot chops with Brussels sprout slaw. Breakfast was some cold beef, left over from yesterday's steak and mushrooms, and some mayonnaise. No lunch. Still drinking room temperature milk to keep my innards calm.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I mainly eat salad or cold food so neither device is really fully used but IP as a slow cooker is used at least fortnightly during winter months - lamb shanks, oxtail and ox cheek. Probably more since we have grandchildren; youngest especially likes oxtail (done twice, cooled overnight and fat taken off) - I often have salad instead. Our new ovens seem to do most of what Julie wants except the rotisserie function of the air fryer. We did use the IP for red cabbage and the gammon at Christmas and may do red cabbage again Sunday. Used the air fryer more at the last house - steak and duck breast do especially well.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently a record number of Brits will be doing dry January this year. It wouldn't exactly be much of an achievement for me so probably not worth the bother. It may sound heretical to a few here but I'm beginning to wonder if the bottle of wine I opened Christmas day - vacuum sealed after 2/3 glass - should go down the sink along with the remains of the wine box of Merlot open since early December. Fortunately spirits keep much longer which is good since they are generally more expensive. Post person just delivered another huge box for Julie from the gin club. I'm 6 ft tall and there is a stack of those boxes (unopened) about my height already. Odd world.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Best laid plans and all that. When it came to it, I fried the chops and shredded the Brussels sprouts, but when it was done, I didn't really want it. Had about half of the smallest chop, cut the meat from the bones and put it into a box in the fridge.

No food today so far - feeling quite nauseous so can only have cups of weak tea and some tepid water. Not sure when I'll eat, or what, although I should probably have some chicken. I asked Neil to get me some chicken when he went to the supermarket and he came back with a whole chicken, some chicken thighs and some wings. Just checked and saw use by dates of yesterday and today, so have baked them all off. Don't fancy chicken today though. Freezer for the bird and bits of bird, I think.

If I do eat today, it will probably be something with the hard boiled eggs I did yesterday - NOT mayonnaise though (stomach churning at the mere thought).

No specifically dry January for me - I don't drink alcohol at any time. No vegan January either - veggies are not high on my system's list of preferences right now. Eggs, some meat at some stage, and milk seem to be the prospect.

Just remembered - there is an opened bottle of dry sherry in the larder. I keep looking at it and wondering what to do with it. I bought it something like 6 years ago for Tom, who enjoyed a sherry from time to time. He had one glass out of it and it has sat there ever since. I keep wondering whether to just empty it down the sink, but haven't done it yet. Don't suppose it'll be up to much by now.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb Have you got in touch with your doctor yet? You can't continue like you are, you really do need medical attention.

@ianpspurs - opened wine boxes are supposed to be okay for up to three weeks - I've no idea about vacuum sealed wine. I don't often get leftover wine but when i do i freeze it in an ice cube tray to be used for cooking.

I will be doing Dry January. I did Sober October - started early in mid September and finished in mid December - so I've no idea when my Dry January will end.... probably around June for my birthday or end of February for my 25th wedding anniversary.

I'm surprised at how many people i know are doing Veganuary. That doesn't appeal at all.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb Have you got in touch with your doctor yet? You can't continue like you are, you really do need medical attention.

@ianpspurs - opened wine boxes are supposed to be okay for up to three weeks - I've no idea about vacuum sealed wine. I don't often get leftover wine but when i do i freeze it in an ice cube tray to be used for cooking.

I will be doing Dry January. I did Sober October - started early in mid September and finished in mid December - so I've no idea when my Dry January will end.... probably around June for my birthday or end of February for my 25th wedding anniversary.

I'm surprised at how many people i know are doing Veganuary. That doesn't appeal at all.

Dry January for me too. I often do it and I’m usually glad of the break after the overindulgence of Christmas and New Year. It’s Paul’s birthday next week so I might take a lieu day and share a bottle of his favourite Malbec with him.
Sober October was surprisingly ok too, but same as you, Veganuary holds no appeal.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes - I've been in touch, even phoned NHS 24 and had a doctor come out to me. Trouble is, there seems to be no communication between one doctor and another and not convinced they read whatever notes there are. I will be trying again after the holiday (next week) to see if I can talk to the doctor I have seen most often. Whether he wants to see me again, I don't know. Lung problem seems to be coming and going - breathless one day and OK the next. Don't know about BP - I have no accurate way of telling, but all other signs seem to be OK.

Taking the wings off of the baking tray, one of them stuck and pulled apart so I had about 3 slivers of the meat. Some went to my stomach and set up my familiar burning sensation and some stuck in my throat. Drinking lots of tea to dislodge it at present.:rolleyes:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Dry January for me too. I often do it and I’m usually glad of the break after the overindulgence of Christmas and New Year. It’s Paul’s birthday next week so I might take a lieu day and share a bottle of his favourite Malbec with him.
Sober October was surprisingly ok too, but same as you, Veganuary holds no appeal.

Funny... it was Kevin's birthday in mid December that persuaded me to have a glass or two of red and OMG I was so badly with it. I woke up in bed the following morning with absolutely no memory of the previous evening from after the first glass of wine. I knew something was badly wrong because I hadn't put any face cream on (or hand / foot cream on). According to Kevin I fell in to bed at 8.30pm and woke up at 9.30 the following morning, feeling great but a bit confused! Life and soul of the party me!!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny... it was Kevin's birthday in mid December that persuaded me to have a glass or two of red and OMG I was so badly with it. I woke up in bed the following morning with absolutely no memory of the previous evening from after the first glass of wine. I knew something was badly wrong because I hadn't put any face cream on (or hand / foot cream on). According to Kevin I fell in to bed at 8.30pm and woke up at 9.30 the following morning, feeling great but a bit confused! Life and soul of the party me!!

Wanted to give hug and funny but on the app you can only do ‘like’
I’ve certainly found my tolerance for alcohol has gone down a lot since lchf/ keto and If I do accidentally overdo it the hangovers are horrible. Glad you felt ok the next morning, but poor Kevin having to celebrate alone

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w I’m giving up the wine for January so commiserations.
Your kitchen cleaning must have been very strenuous, I usually see numbers like that after high impact training sessions. Does your cross trainer raise your levels?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w I’m giving up the wine for January so commiserations.
Your kitchen cleaning must have been very strenuous, I usually see numbers like that after high impact training sessions. Does your cross trainer raise your levels?

Thanks for the commiserations, @DJC3. It was probably a combination of the kitchen cleaning and the lack of wine. Wine tends to dampen the spikes a little. I usually work out at night -- after dinner and wine, so spikes are usually very reasonable, often even stays below 6 mmol.

I see a significant difference between breaking down my half-hour routine into several smaller bits when as a result it is only slightly raised (today played it safe and did 10 four- to five-minutes intervals and even then it only went up to 5.6) or fewer larger intervals of exercise (15 minutes or more) when as a result it goes higher.

What is your experience when exercising? What type of exercise raises your levels? What type lowers them?

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the commiserations, @DJC3. It was probably a combination of the kitchen cleaning and the lack of wine. Wine tends to dampen the spikes a little. I usually work out at night -- after dinner and wine, so spikes are usually very reasonable, often even stays below 6 mmol.

I see a difference between breaking down my half-hour routine into several smaller bits when it is only slightly raised (today played it safe and did 10 four- to five-minutes intervals and even then it only went up to 5.6) or larger intervals of exercise (15 minutes or more) when it goes higher.

What is your experience when exercising? What type of exercise raises your levels? What type lowers them?

Wine often lowers my fbg too, but I always consider it a false low really.
I do hilly walks with the dog, I don’t walk particularly far so try to compensate by going uphill as much as possible. This doesn’t raise bg much but my half hour Hiit sessions do cause a sizeable spike. I’ll attach the CGM trace of my last session so you can see. It falls again fairly quickly afterwards though so I figure that’s ok.
IMG_1609629605.184269.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be time of day as much as the form of exercise @DJC3 and @ziggy_w

When I was still going to the gym (have kept my membership frozen even during the short periods it’s been open since March), I found that weights gave me far more of a spike when going early in the morning than they did if I went after work.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w and @DJC3 thanks for the exercise and bg inputs I found that very thought provoking and helpful a good find. I hope the wine free month doesn't drag too much. Could I do a carni month? I know it would take a monumental amount of prayer and a high percentage of fasting to get as far as a week so props to you two.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w and @Goonergal you both mention evening exercise doesn’t cause such a spike, that’s interesting. I always go in the morning in a fasted state. I often feel a bit sick with some of the exercises so I’d be worried about doing them unless my stomach was empty!
I’ve tried doing the same thing at home in the evening and I don’t get the same sort of spike but I’d assumed that it was because I’m not working as hard without the PT telling me I’m ‘smashing it’ . Maybe it just because it’s evening.
@ianpspurs do you still have your home gym? I know you used to use the exercise bike a lot.

Reactions: ziggy_w