A lancet is a lancet is a lancet

Gwynn

Ok I'm fairly new to all this and the prospect of pricking a finger several times a day, and the associated slight pain, is not something that I relish. I have spent the last 2 months jabbing holes in my fingers...

I have been trying different lancets, mostly 28G general ones. Generic, cheap.They seemed ok but a bit sharp/painful on many occasions.

So I got to thinking, there must surely be a better, kinder lancet out there. Not the lancing device, just the lancet.

So I tried a 33G silicone covered lancet from Glucoject, with zero expectations.

The fit to the lancing device (part of my Tee 2+ set) was very firm which at first made me think they wouldn't work but then I realsed that they would strike more accurately.

Just tested the lancet and felt nothing. I thought it hadn't worked. I was wrong. It had worked perfectly and zero pain!

Now lets be honest I have only tried one so far but I was so astonished that I felt that I had to say something.

If anyone is interested I will post how I get on with them going forwards.

Perhaps my experience may help someone get results with reduced pain.

Reactions: EllieM

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Ok I'm fairly new to all this and the prospect of pricking a finger several times a day, and the associated slight pain, is not something that I relish. I have spent the last 2 months jabbing holes in my fingers...

I have been trying different lancets, mostly 28G general ones. Generic, cheap.They seemed ok but a bit sharp/painful on many occasions.

So I got to thinking, there must surely be a better, kinder lancet out there. Not the lancing device, just the lancet.

So I tried a 33G silicone covered lancet from Glucoject, with zero expectations.

The fit to the lancing device (part of my Tee 2+ set) was very firm which at first made me think they wouldn't work but then I realsed that they would strike more accurately.

Just tested the lancet and felt nothing. I thought it hadn't worked. I was wrong. It had worked perfectly and zero pain!

Now lets be honest I have only tried one so far but I was so astonished that I felt that I had to say something.

If anyone is interested I will post how I get on with them going forwards.

Perhaps my experience may help someone get results with reduced pain.

I have some glucoject lancets as they came with my Areo2 meter. Haven't tried them yet but at 0.2mm diameter they are very thin, which probably helps.

I think the device plays a part though as I moved to Fastclix which uses a preloaded drum rather than individual lancets. I find it pretty good. I am struggling to find out what gauge they are but I think they are 28G.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use my thumb or fore finger, don't actually know why....
My middle finger can be "dull ache".
Other two, nix.
Just the sides and never the tips.

Gwynn

Yup just the sides.

I could be wrong and maybe the new lancet type I tried is no better than any other except they do seem better made.

I mean the pain is not severe but I would prefer less if possible (without paying too much)

I just thought that the info might be useful to someone.

Gwynn

And as a follow on can anyone recommend a really good lancet device that takes universal lancets?

The one that came with the Tee 2+ kit is good. Just looking ahead in case it breaks.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup just the sides.

I could be wrong and maybe the new lancet type I tried is no better than any other except they do seem better made.

I mean the pain is not severe but I would prefer less if possible (without paying too much)

I just thought that the info might be useful to someone.
Have you set the device to the depth you are comfortable with? I have mine at 1.5 and use a glucomen device.

Reactions: hankjam

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too found that the lancet/gadget that came with the TEE2 machine was very painful when pricking my fingers to the point I was starting to dread using the tee2 spirit lancet so I looked out my old lancet /gadget that came with my Accu Check per forma machine and have been using that as it is much less painful/pain free.

Gwynn

Hmm now that is interesting. Different lancing devices may operate differently. Sounds daft but it is very relevant. All they have to do is move foward and backward with a lancet very quickly. But then there is the sideways motion, vibration, impact speed, retraction speed to consider too.

I have ordered a different type of lancet device to see if it is any different (better or worse)

This morning, using the new thinner lancets, was still an improvement in terms of pain, but not totally pain free.

And yes I have adjusted the depth. Oddly, different fingers seem to require different depths.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have rarely found it completely pain free ever, even after 9 years of doing this. Some have more sensitive fingers than others.

How often do you change your Lancet? Do you rotate which fingers and sides of fingers you use? When are you testing each day?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used an Accu-chek device for almost 7 years that came with my Accu-chek Mobile meter. The lancets are situated inside a drum, 6 of them in each drum. You don't see or touch the lancet. Just hold the device on the finger and click. They can be purchased separately from the meter. So easy, and just change the drum whenever and dispose of it in household rubbish. Mostly no pain. Occasionally pain if I hit a nerve.

Reactions: Medusa41

Gwynn

Its not a big issue, I was just trying to see if a different lancet type might be better.

Yup i use different fingers, different sides, some are more sensitive tjan others

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've changed my lancet. I mean once, in a year. I'm not recommending this as a thing to do.

CarrieB

Have you tried alternative site testing? I use it for general and before meal tests, saving my fingers for when I think I might be going hypo.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Using a variety of lancets and maybe changing every couple of weeks in tropical SE Asia, not painful, large blood drops were easy. After moving back to UK, discovered very painful finger pricks and trouble getting big enough sample due to cooler climes. So recommend a few minutes hot water soak for fingers! BTW I know we are recommended to change lancets frequently (if not every time), but my personal experience to date has been 1 slightly infected blood prick finger site in 12 years.