New forum member here.

rabhrab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is my first contribution to the forum as l've just signed up, although l have been type 1 since being diagnosed in Oct '78.
I too remember the heavy stainless steel syringes and urine test strips.......not nice! I now use Humalog and Humalin insulin and test with the Librelink app on my 'phone. I also live north of the border and find the care provided by Forth Valley Royal Hospital and my G.P. to be everything l need. I really appreciate the access to my medical records that the mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk website provides and l highly recommend it to all.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum. I also remember the glass syringes, but it was the needles that you were expected to use for months or years that were the real problem for me. As my father was a pharmacist, as soon as disposable syringes became available he ordered them for me. The smaller needle was a big advance. Fortunately, he could get them at cost price.

The Libre sensors gave me a skin reaction like a chemical burn, that was reactivated every time I went under a warm shower, so I wasn't a fan.

Reactions: rabhrab

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi welcome , like you I live north of the border and like you am in the forth valley health area. , I w@s diagnosed a year after you and too remember the glass syringes , urine tests etc. I am a bit of an “ outlander as I am welsh and came north of the border with work in 2001. I find the modern tech we have now so much better and I firmly believe that had I had the Libre 10 years ago I would be walking about on 2 legs rat her than 1 and a half . , but I’ll never complain there are people out there 8n a far worse position than me .
Welcome once again and happy posting

Reactions: rabhrab

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @rabhrab ,

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you here. Summer of 1976 for me.
I recollect mixing/diluting with water, urine with a dropper in a test tube then dropping a tab.. Prior to the advent of strips on my script.

These days. So much more civilised.

rabhrab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi welcome , like you I live north of the border and like you am in the forth valley health area. , I w@s diagnosed a year after you and too remember the glass syringes , urine tests etc. I am a bit of an “ outlander as I am welsh and came north of the border with work in 2001. I find the modern tech we have now so much better and I firmly believe that had I had the Libre 10 years ago I would be walking about on 2 legs rat her than 1 and a half . , but I’ll never complain there are people out there 8n a far worse position than me .
Welcome once again and happy posting

Hi and thanks for the welcome! I also have Welsh connections, my dad having been born in the Wrexham area.
The family came North in 1961, to help look after my grandparents. I am now living now in Stirling.
Agreed, the advancements in care we enjoy we have now are truly life changing.

rabhrab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @rabhrab ,

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you here. Summer of 1976 for me.
I recollect mixing/diluting with water, urine with a dropper in a test tube then dropping a tab.. Prior to the advent of strips on my script.

These days. So much more civilised.

Thanks for the welcome. Agreed, so much more civilised today

rabhrab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome to the forum. I also remember the glass syringes, but it was the needles that you were expected to use for months or years that were the real problem for me. As my father was a pharmacist, as soon as disposable syringes became available he ordered them for me. The smaller needle was a big advance. Fortunately, he could get them at cost price.

The Libre sensors gave me a skin reaction like a chemical burn, that was reactivated every time I went under a warm shower, so I wasn't a fan.

Hi and thanks for the welcome! Sorry to hear that you had trouble with the Libre sensor, l wouldn't like to be without it now.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the welcome. Agreed, so much more civilised today

There is still an "animal" inside me, that fancies a day of retro-management? (At least some longer needles.)
Just to keep it real?
The sensors are great. :)

rabhrab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is still an "animal" inside me, that fancies a day of retro-management? (At least some longer needles.)
Just to keep it real?
The sensors are great. :)
Not for me thanks! Suppose you could ask your g.p. to prescribe some loooooooonger needles!