metformin - any positive experiences??

sarahmunchkin

I am supposed to start Metformin for GD (I am 7 weeks). Does anybody have anything positive to say about this drug or are the side effects as bad as they appear? The one I amostly concerned about is vomiting......just wondered if it is almost certain I will get this or if it's a fairly rare symptom?
Cheers!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin gave me the runs initially, but don't have any problems with them now (4 years on). Never had vomiting with them.

RussG

Many people tolerate metformin very well, and if you do suffer from side effects (most commonly diarrhoea type symptoms) you can request the slow release version (sometimes called modified release), which many find better. I haven't really heard of that many people vomiting on metformin.

sarahmunchkin

THANK YOU!!! I know, unlike most on here, my diabetes is only temporary (at least for now) but I still find it daunting nonetheless! Pregnancy should mean pigging out without guilt! Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time and thanks for the support :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Another one here with no problems with Metformin, initial slight stomach cramps lasted a few days and that was the only side effect i suffered.

Dont forget that these side effects are not suffered by everyone , like all drugs some people suffer side effects but many others do not.

Hope you are one of the lucky ones like me :thumbup:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I don't have any problems with Metformin now. The only problem I had was when my morning dose was doubled. When the extra pill was switched to the evening meal, all the classic problems disappeared.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The side effects I experienced were initial stomach cramps and bloating, and occasional sudden attacks of diarrhoea; never had any vomiting. The cramps and bloating subsided after a week or so. Still had the diarrhoea attacks, but these reduced after changing to modified release version.... still get them occasionally, but a dose of Imodium sorts it. Don't worry too much...plenty of people have no, or only slight, side effects with metformin, and the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.