Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B2D0524D-DADA-4350-9B94-BE06CD9855D7.jpeg

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't tried it and don't plan to. A couple of reasons- one we don't get town water rely on the water in our rain tanks and in Australia wouldn't waste precious water on baths very often if at all. The second reason is I think the easiest and most effective both in time and money is to lower the level of carb intake. I think that possibly meditation may give the same results. I'd happily reconsider if there were some actual studies done. I'd also just want it tested against having a lovely warm relaxing bath also.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't see how something external to the body can cause any reaction in an internal organ

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'd want to see the studies that are supposed to prove this.

Plus T2s generally have a problem with excess insulin production, it's just that it doesn't work properly.

Combine that with the reference to covid then I'm suspicious that this is yet another snake oil advert....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, that is interesting, I've just been googling diabetes and epsom salts.

Apparently it's not recommended because it can cause low blood sugar (presumably for those on insulin) and soaking your feet can cause dryness and irritation which is bad if you've got diabetic induced feet issues. On the other hand other sites say it can be good for diabetes (presumably because it lowers blood sugar).

Still think that T2s are better off reducing carbs than increasing insulin, but I guess that is a personal choice.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is interesting. I'm pretty sceptical, but it's always worth looking into these things

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that magnesium deficiency may be a contributory factor in blood glucose control (also energy levels, sleep patterns, muscle efficiency/function, and quite a few other things).

epsom salt baths are a (not very efficient) method to allow magnesium to be absorbed through the skin.

however, for most people, there are better ways to supplement magnesium, which include various different magnesium supplements and even rubbing magnesium oil into the skin.
https://www.healthline.com/health/epsom-salt-detox#how-to

Reactions: oldgreymare and ert

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Epsom salt is pretty cheap so give it a try and do some testing, if it appeals - people have been bathing in the stuff for ages so it appears to be safe enough. However I always find that showering sends my BG up, just one of those things. Dunno about a bath, I don’t do that!

I do take a slow-release magnesium supplement though, to combat cramp. Doesn’t appear to affect my BG levels either way.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If you google something like "Epsom salts bath and diabetes", there will be several opinions to compare. There's even a bit of science but not much.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure how much magnesium is absorb thru bath... but certainly there appears to be a link between hyperinsulinemia, Vitamin D activation and severity of Covid19...

Relationships between hyperinsulinaemia, magnesium, vitamin D, thrombosis and COVID-19: rationale for clinical management
https://openheart.bmj.com/content/7/2/e001356

Abstract
Risk factors for COVID-19 patients with poorer outcomes include pre-existing conditions: obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease (CVD), heart failure, hypertension, low oxygen saturation capacity, cancer, elevated: ferritin, C reactive protein (CRP) and D-dimer. A common denominator, hyperinsulinaemia, provides a plausible mechanism of action, underlying CVD, hypertension and strokes, all conditions typified with thrombi. The underlying science provides a theoretical management algorithm for the frontline practitioners.

Vitamin D activation requires magnesium. Hyperinsulinaemia promotes: magnesium depletion via increased renal excretion, reduced intracellular levels, lowers vitamin D status via sequestration into adipocytes and hydroxylation activation inhibition. Hyperinsulinaemia mediates thrombi development via: fibrinolysis inhibition, anticoagulation production dysregulation, increasing reactive oxygen species, decreased antioxidant capacity via nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide depletion, haem oxidation and catabolism, producing carbon monoxide, increasing deep vein thrombosis risk and pulmonary emboli. Increased haem-synthesis demand upregulates carbon dioxide production, decreasing oxygen saturation capacity. Hyperinsulinaemia decreases cholesterol sulfurylation to cholesterol sulfate, as low vitamin D regulation due to magnesium depletion and/or vitamin D sequestration and/or diminished activation capacity decreases sulfotransferase enzyme SULT2B1b activity, consequently decreasing plasma membrane negative charge between red blood cells, platelets and endothelial cells, thus increasing agglutination and thrombosis.

Patients with COVID-19 admitted with hyperglycaemia and/or hyperinsulinaemia should be placed on a restricted refined carbohydrate diet, with limited use of intravenous dextrose solutions. Degree/level of restriction is determined by serial testing of blood glucose, insulin and ketones. Supplemental magnesium, vitamin D and zinc should be administered. By implementing refined carbohydrate restriction, three primary risk factors, hyperinsulinaemia, hyperglycaemia and hypertension, that increase inflammation, coagulation and thrombosis risk are rapidly managed.