"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have, but I have trouble getting my phone screen to do what I want through the plastic. I also haven't dared putting those bags to the test actually under water (as opposed to a bit of splashing on board or close to water).
Perhaps I should try again :)
I have an old phone laying about which might be coaxed into life again, if I try it with that one on the last day of a sensor...

I'll have to wait for the swimming pool to reopen (or the weather getting warm enough of course, but I do hope the pool will be sooner!) but you've given me new courage to try this!

Good luck. I know what you mean about struggling to get the screen to do what you want under normal circumstances though.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @all,

@Goonergal -- I believe you are correct time of day probably has a big impact when exercising. Like @maglil55, I also need to eat at little before exercising or exerting myself physically or I start feeling faint and blood sugars rise much more than normally.

@DJC3 -- Your rise after HIIT is probably just normal -- even for non-diabetics. Very strenuous exercise will do this. Kitchen cleaning probably doesn't qualify for high intensity though, I am afraid.

@ianpspurs -- You're doing great bloodsugarwise imo. I know you worry a bit, but as long as we are keeping blood sugar levels within normal limits (and you're certainly doing this), I believe we won't have to worry about complications.

@Annb -- Please take care, I worry that you are eating so little. Maybe some of the feeling of breathlessness and dizzyness might also be due to a lack of food.

So, for me it's now been three days without wine and blood sugars are slowly returning to more normal levels (for me). Highest it's been today was 6.3 (about 1 hour after food), after exercise today 5.9 and now about two hours later it's 5.1. Btw -- don't know if I'll do the whole months without wine, but definitely want to reduce consumption by quite a bit. It's good to know it's the three of us doing this together, @DJC3 and @Chook.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb -- Please take care, I worry that you are eating so little. Maybe some of the feeling of breathlessness and dizzyness might also be due to a lack of food.
It's more likely to be lack of fluids in my case. I try not to let that happen but sometimes I just can't get enough fluids in. The problem with food is that it just doesn't stay down. But things feel better today, so I might manage to get some chicken soup into me in a short time. That will be a start. Believe me, I would much rather be eating. I'm really quite fond of food! Going to see if I have it wrong and the surgery might be open today.

PS despite lack of food over these days, I'm no lighter and still quite puffy with fluid in my legs and abdomen. Breathlessness, I think, is due to fluid still in my lungs. Been like that ever since having the virus back in March.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w I agree with you the sharp spike after Hiit is probably normal. I don’t worry about it as it usually goes back down fairly quickly and helps keep levels down the next day or so.
I have a confession - I had a couple of glasses of red yesterday! That’s terrible - I didn’t even last 3 days!!!

@DCUKMod one good thing to come out of our aborted hotel stay last week is that I got my hands on some shower caps from the bathrooms. I have one protecting the water on the brisket I’m cooking atm. It’s been going about 10hrs and the water level doesn’t seem to have dropped so it’s working well. I didn’t bother cutting a hole, just wrapped it round as much as possible, there’s not much of a gap at the sides of the sous vide stick.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mid morning - chicken soup
A bowl of porridge for a late lunch
About 7 pm - more chicken soup
Tea, water and milk to drink. With the soup and milk with the porridge, that should be enough fluids.
DIL tried a suggested Russian remedy for diahorrea over the holiday - grated apple. It had to be grated and eaten as was. It seems to have worked for her but I can't think why. However, her friend who is half Russian thought it was worth her trying. May be better than using opiates to calm bowel down. Who knows?

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a confession - I had a couple of glasses of red yesterday! That’s terrible - I didn’t even last 3 days!!!
I'd told myself I'd be good for January, then had half a teacake and a glass of wine yesterday But my fbg was 5.3 this morning, the lowest in 3 weeks. Go figure!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd told myself I'd be good for January, then had half a teacake and a glass of wine yesterday But my fbg was 5.3 this morning, the lowest in 3 weeks. Go figure!

At least you stopped at half a tea cake and just 1 glass. Could have been a lot worse - great fbg!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 -- What a strange coincidence. After three successful days without wine (though blood sugars still a bit wonky even if not as bad as on day 1), I finally gave in and had two glasses of wine yesterday. I figure though that if I can keep it to some wine every three to four days, this is still a big improvement. Btw, brilliant idea using shower caps for the pot when using the sous vide stick. (I have used cling wrap in the past, but shower caps sound so much better.)

@Annb -- A huge hug from me and sorry that you are not feeling well. It seems that so many are still suffering for long months after contracting the virus, and water in the lungs and shortness of breath must really feel awful. Hugs also for not being able to eat because the food won't stay down. Glad to read though that you were able to have some chicken broth and porridge. I was really worrying about you. Btw, hadn't heard about grated apple as a remedy for diarrhea. In Germany, we used to have coca cola and pretzelstick, but of course this is no longer an option when low carbing.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @ziggy_w the red wine lapses don't seem a biggy really. Is Dry Jan a sponsored charity event? MIL is 91 today, home made wine, lager, plenty of whisky and all. Her mum was well preserved in whisky and lived to 99.6 so alcohol may not be as bad as I often think. As I grow older I'm much more wary around alcohol and quite worried seeing my boys drink. Oddly, we "gained" several bottles of alcohol over Christmas - I'll never drink them but do have some now and again. Seems to be part of my attempt to unravel just what I want from this lifestyle. Interesting/difficult balance between keeping an open mind, trying new things and knowing deep down there are things I know I will never want to eat, drink or do.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all :)

May I join the 'oops I did it again' club? I completely intended to re-start my 800 calorie a day diet but life got in the way so I'm starting again from today. Wine doesn't seem to be my problem area any more... my problem is definitely medjool dates! My subconscious tells me they're healthy but my meter tells me they definitely aren't - and then the dates lead onto other Christmas goodies

At the moment my meals are on track - its the stuff inbetween thats off piste. In previous years Kevin and his colleagues have taken any leftover sweet stuff to work for people to help themselves but, due to his firm's Covid restrictions, he can't do that this year.

@Annb I hope you managed to get a doctor's appointment x

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

May I join the 'oops I did it again' club? I completely intended to re-start my 800 calorie a day diet but life got in the way so I'm starting again from today. Wine doesn't seem to be my problem area any more... my problem is definitely medjool dates! My subconscious tells me they're healthy but my meter tells me they definitely aren't - and then the dates lead onto other Christmas goodies

At the moment my meals are on track - its the stuff inbetween thats off piste. In previous years Kevin and his colleagues have taken any leftover sweet stuff to work for people to help themselves but, due to his firm's Covid restrictions, he can't do that this year.

Who knew Medjool dates were a gateway drug? Your A1c seems to have no problems with meter blips. How long are you intending to stay at 800 cals? That is is worthy of praise. I know I can fast but I couldn't do that so full of admiration for you there.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning - chicken soup
A bowl of porridge for a late lunch
About 7 pm - more chicken soup
Tea, water and milk to drink. With the soup and milk with the porridge, that should be enough fluids.
DIL tried a suggested Russian remedy for diahorrea over the holiday - grated apple. It had to be grated and eaten as was. It seems to have worked for her but I can't think why. However, her friend who is half Russian thought it was worth her trying. May be better than using opiates to calm bowel down. Who knows?

The grated apple remedy is really interesting. One of my daughters suffers a lot with bowel issues and like your dil is unhappy at using opiates to calm the symptoms. I’ll tell her to try this too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @ziggy_w the red wine lapses don't seem a biggy really. Is Dry Jan a sponsored charity event? MIL is 91 today, home made wine, lager, plenty of whisky and all. Her mum was well preserved in whisky and lived to 99.6 so alcohol may not be as bad as I often think. As I grow older I'm much more wary around alcohol and quite worried seeing my boys drink. Oddly, we "gained" several bottles of alcohol over Christmas - I'll never drink them but do have some now and again. Seems to be part of my attempt to unravel just what I want from this lifestyle. Interesting/difficult balance between keeping an open mind, trying new things and knowing deep down there are things I know I will never want to eat, drink or do.

I think you’re right - in the great scheme of things it really isn’t important. Not for charity, even if it were I’d pay up anyway. In fact that’s a good idea, a bit like a swear box I could bung a fiver to a charity for each relapsed glass of wine. ( but I may well end up broke as well as drunk!)
Happy Birthday your MIL. Her lifestyle is very encouraging to me.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I love medjool dates. Trouble is stopping at one and even one is too much, so I try not to have them in the house at all. Too much temptation. Other dates don't do anything for me though, so it's safe to have them around for the odd occasion when Neil feels that he can eat a date.

Just had a bowl of porridge with double cream for my breakfast. Stomach seems to be holding up so far. Later I have some duck breasts to cook (fry, I imagine) and some Brussels sprouts. That might be a bit of a risk but I'll see how it goes.

Just waiting for a phone call from the GP to see if he has any other ideas about my lungs and/or what went wrong over Christmas and New Year. I think a big part of the problem was the high dose of Furosemide that I was told to take by a stranger doctor - not an overdose, but a bit too much for me (160 mg a day). I think the new ways of doing things are leading to problems with treatment/medication because the doctor isn't there to discuss what is happening, and then you can't get the same one again when you need to ask about what is happening.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you’re right - in the great scheme of things it really isn’t important. Not for charity, even if it were I’d pay up anyway. In fact that’s a good idea, a bit like a swear box I could bung a fiver to a charity for each relapsed glass of wine. ( but I may well end up broke as well as drunk!)
Happy Birthday your MIL. Her lifestyle is very encouraging to me.
A fiver? 6 glasses per bottle makes that an expensive set of lapses.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Who knew Medjool dates were a gateway drug? Your A1c seems to have no problems with meter blips. How long are you intending to stay at 800 cals? That is is worthy of praise. I know I can fast but I couldn't do that so full of admiration for you there.

I think low calorie is not much of a problem because I'm so sedentary. I'm intending to stay on it until my birthday in June or I reach my personal fat threshold - whichever comes first. And then work out a WOE that keeps me there.

I do feel a bit like i manipulated my Hba1c. :oops:

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love medjool dates. Trouble is stopping at one and even one is too much, so I try not to have them in the house at all. Too much temptation. Other dates don't do anything for me though, so it's safe to have them around for the odd occasion when Neil feels that he can eat a date.

Just had a bowl of porridge with double cream for my breakfast. Stomach seems to be holding up so far. Later I have some duck breasts to cook (fry, I imagine) and some Brussels sprouts. That might be a bit of a risk but I'll see how it goes.

Just waiting for a phone call from the GP to see if he has any other ideas about my lungs and/or what went wrong over Christmas and New Year. I think a big part of the problem was the high dose of Furosemide that I was told to take by a stranger doctor - not an overdose, but a bit too much for me (160 mg a day). I think the new ways of doing things are leading to problems with treatment/medication because the doctor isn't there to discuss what is happening, and then you can't get the same one again when you need to ask about what is happening.

i really hope you get something sorted out because you can't carry on like you are!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i really hope you get something sorted out because you can't carry on like you are!

Just had a call from another doctor I don't know. She is going to arrange for a chest X-ray and a blood test. Just in case it is my heart. Or at least to eliminate that. The blood test might lead to another ECG. Something happening anyway.

Decided not to go hungry until this evening so had a hunt in the fridge to see what needed using up - a bit of cold sausage, a bit of cold lamb, a hard boiled egg, one egg left from the previous box I'd bought and a slightly soft and sorry looking little carrot (about 21/2 inches long). Made an egg mess with it. Of course, egg mess ought to have potato in it, but it was fine without and filled a gap until dinner time.