Type 2 Shielding

fitsey587

Hi my name is Ray. And I would like to know if anyone is shielding who only has diabetes? As since the new strain of the virus I am scared to return to work. But my employer says I am a essential worker and I cannot work from home thanks

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my name is Ray. And I would like to know if anyone is shielding who only has diabetes? As since the new strain of the virus I am scared to return to work. But my employer says I am a essential worker and I cannot work from home thanks
Are you worried that whatever precautions have been taken are not enough or is it the journey? I would discuss these concerns calmly but since you are not in the shielded category then it is reasonable for your employer to ask you to come in.
There's far too much stuff on the news but you should keep calm because worrying about this will simply make your anxiety worse and end up trapped in your house for a while yet.
If you were to catch Covid there's every chance you'd either not feel ill or just have a mild illness not that we ever get to focus on that aspect of this.
If you do decide to go to work then focus on what you can do to get your blood sugars normal and vitamin D levels good.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @fitsey587 ,

It's an "unknown." I don't know what you do for a carreeer? I can also appreciate covid isn't about making sure you don't crush you toes or get hit by a forklift truck. Then there are fire exit protocols, "muster stations" & equipment.. All to help prevent potential injury..
With any normal sensible risk assessment. PPE (like boots & high vis would be provided for your safety & drivers would be appropriately trained following the guidelines..

COVID? We are informed of the precautions & an employer has a duty of care regarding H&S with employees in accordance.
When recently have you discussed concerns with your manager or HR department?

Reactions: fitsey587

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your employer has a duty of care, and employers are all advised on how to keep their staff safe in Covid times - masks, social distancing, hand washing/sanitising facilities in the work place, canteen, etc. If these things are not in place, then you need to speak to your union rep or HR department. During lockdown we are all told to work from home unless this is impossible. If it is impossible, then you need to know you are as safe as you can be at work. In order to help yourself, you would do well to get control of your blood sugars and weight. Maybe we can help you with this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not stable at my last blood test. And the diabetic nurse was very concerned regarding my blood sugar levels and how much weight I’d put on within the year

So first things first.. you need to starting taking care of your metabolic health.

Start to lose some weight. Cutting carbs to the absolute minimum is key here and will greatly assist in lowering blood sugars.

Are you taking any medication?

Maybe fill in your profile more fully then we won't have to keep asking so many questions.

What were your HbA1c levels?