Type-1 and getting snappy and argumentative

Bootsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with type-1 diabetes, I seem to very snappy and argumentative when my blood sugar count is high is this common? I can find more on this subject when people have a low bs count but not on high bs count.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with type-1 diabetes, I seem to very snappy and argumentative when my blood sugar count is high is this common? I can find more on this subject when people have a low bs count but not on high bs count.
Hi @Bootsey , and welcome to the forum!

Yes, getting snappy and argumentative is very common with high blood glucose! It will likely improve when you start getting the hang of this diabetes thing :)

Reactions: Bootsey

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type 2 and high blood sugar levels are not dissimilar for types...

For me, high blood sugars make for not very nice people to be around. I didn’t always realise until my sugars were controlled but it’s like being permanently wound up too tight

Bootsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bootsey , and welcome to the forum!

Yes, getting snappy and argumentative is very common with high blood glucose! It will likely improve when you start getting the hang of this diabetes thing :)
HI, Antje77, thank you for the welcome, I'm still in the honeymoon period so my bs count is still all over the place, hopefully I'll get it down soon and under control.

Reactions: jpscloud

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

Not snappy or confrontational, however when high I prefer my own company. If I'm not afforded my solitude, I can clam up..
Relationship wise; If intimacy is initiated? "Not tonight dear."

Being a bit "gothy" in my teens sat right with me.. ;)

Reactions: VashtiB and Bootsey

Bootsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 2 and high blood sugar levels are not dissimilar for types...

For me, high blood sugars make for not very nice people to be around. I didn’t always realise until my sugars were controlled but it’s like being permanently wound up too tight
Hi Andy, I understand that fully, I seem to be a complete a/hole when my levels are high.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andy, I understand that fully, I seem to be a complete a/hole when my levels are high.
My dad was the same. It still amazes me how the human body works. Who’d have thought high blood sugars affect mood. When I was hungry and high bloods... well, that’s time to run :banghead:

Bootsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

Not snappy or confrontational, however when high I prefer my own company. If I'm not afforded my solitude, I can clam up..
Relationship wise; If intimacy is initiated? "Not tonight dear."

Being a bit "gothy" in my teens sat right with me.. ;)
Hi Jaylee, thank you for the welcome, I understand that, I will go to bedbroom until I feel better.

Reactions: jpscloud

Bootsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dad was the same. It still amazes me how the human body works. Who’d have thought high blood sugars affect mood. When I was hungry and high bloods... well, that’s time to run :banghead:
My brother and sister were type-1, I remember what they were like going hypo, but really didn't know a lot about them being hyper with diabetes back then.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee, thank you for the welcome, I understand that, I will go to bedbroom until I feel better.

I tend to submerse myself in either music, dark themed movie or just get creative- creating my own music.
I was like this as a kid. Preferred to stay home watching a Stanley Kubrick film over an evening out with family.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, being Hyper i.e. in the 20s or 30s mmol BS can result in being very awkward to deal with. My wife told me I was like that when I was first diagnosed and probably in the 30s.

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome Bootsey. Your question makes a lot of sense, as my wife & kids have noticed how short fused & awkward I've been this year, which isn't like me. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes recently & am hoping my glucose levels stabalise now I'm insulin & I be more level headed .

Reactions: Bootsey and Antje77

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Short answer, yes. My Mum often had very high glucose levels and over the years we got to know the signs for those high levels as well as the low levels. She was the nicest, calmest lady possible until her levels went high and then...watch out! A different woman in that she became VERY argumentative, and when her levels came back down she would be mortified when we told her what she had done or said, (it amused and horrified her in equal measures). x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Goes both ways! Best way to get me snappy and arguementative is for my husband to ask if I am a) low b) pre menstrual. He is sometimes correct too but only sometimes.
If you feel snappy etc. it could be physiological but could also be a sign of emotional stress (guilt at being high which in type 1 is considered to be your fault for eating the wrong thing or not dosing correctly) which can easily turn to anger or depression.
Physiologically you are not getting enough energy into your cells as it is mainly floating around your blood stream which can make you feel 'hangry' but also unwell. Hypo is a clear example of not getting enough glucose to your brain and the snappiness is a symptom of this rather like a toddler before teatime having a tantrum. Hypos are more acute than hypers but in both cases you're not firing on all cylinders.
Btw you should not feel guilty about high blood sugars; if you don't have a fully functioning pancreas it is very very hard to control the variables that produce normal sugars in non type 1 diabetics and I wish more consultants etc. would acknowledge that!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes, I'm not T1, but still insulin deficient.... when high, I get irritated out of frustration.

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didn't realise how tightly wound I felt until it went down, kind of like a few coffees too many.

Now i find that going for a walk helps unwind, helps reduce my blood sugar (type 2), and preserves others from me!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Yep high blood sugars for me equals mr moody snappy and argumentative , it doesn’t happen very often now thank goodness ,
What’s the difference between a man eating lion and a diabetic with high blood sugar ....... you can reason with a man eating lion hehehe