Can I cover the Freestyle Libre?

MatthewB-CYM

I have recently started using the Freestyle Libre system and when it works- it's great.
However I am very active and have had a couple of sensors come off after a long run, I put a tubular bandage sleeve over the top but it seems the sweat still makes the edges of the sensor start to lift. Once that happens it's pretty much game over.
I decided to get some Tegaderm padded 5x7 cm patches, and when the edges started to lift on my most recent sensor I put one of the Tegaderms over the top to keep it stuck down. The patches have padding in the middle so it doesn't stick to the sensor.
This seemed to be perfect and was keeping it stuck down tight so I didn't have to worry about it and I thought I'd cracked it, however about 24 hours after putting the Tegaderm on I got an error message with no warning saying that the sensor had to be replaced.
I've requested a replacement from Abbott before and I'm not worried about getting a new one soon, but it's concerning that with no warning a sensor could just fail like that while still stuck down tight with no obvious problems. Could the Tegaderm have caused this error? Does the sensor need to be kept uncovered to stay working? It's annoying that the only advice I can find anywhere is from other people in forums (mainly from 4years ago) and not from Abbott themselves.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently started using the Freestyle Libre system and when it works- it's great.
However I am very active and have had a couple of sensors come off after a long run, I put a tubular bandage sleeve over the top but it seems the sweat still makes the edges of the sensor start to lift. Once that happens it's pretty much game over.
I decided to get some Tegaderm padded 5x7 cm patches, and when the edges started to lift on my most recent sensor I put one of the Tegaderms over the top to keep it stuck down. The patches have padding in the middle so it doesn't stick to the sensor.
This seemed to be perfect and was keeping it stuck down tight so I didn't have to worry about it and I thought I'd cracked it, however about 24 hours after putting the Tegaderm on I got an error message with no warning saying that the sensor had to be replaced.
I've requested a replacement from Abbott before and I'm not worried about getting a new one soon, but it's concerning that with no warning a sensor could just fail like that while still stuck down tight with no obvious problems. Could the Tegaderm have caused this error? Does the sensor need to be kept uncovered to stay working? It's annoying that the only advice I can find anywhere is from other people in forums (mainly from 4years ago) and not from Abbott themselves.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Do you use the L1 or L2?

To be fair if one can scan through clothing, a "wrap" should not be an issue?

I use a Bluetooth bridge covering mine (L1 sort of CGM set up using a 3rd party app) & to date still had no issue with either the adhesive or scanning if I feel like using the Librelink app.

I do place my sensor inside the arm.
I use this to hold the bridge in place & also protect the sensor. There is also a varient 3D printed just for the Libre alone.

image.jpeg

Reactions: MatthewB-CYM

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used Tegaderm or Cutiderm over mine since I got them on prescription in 2019 without any issues xx

MatthewB-CYM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Do you use the L1 or L2?

To be fair if one can scan through clothing, a "wrap" should not be an issue?

I use a Bluetooth bridge covering mine (L1 sort of CGM set up using a 3rd party app) & to date still had no issue with either the adhesive or scanning if I feel like using the Librelink app.

I do place my sensor inside the arm.
I use this to hold the bridge in place & also protect the sensor. There is also a varient 3D printed just for the Libre alone.

View attachment 46683
Thanks for your reply!
I have the Libre 1 sensor. I've seen these kind of "armband" covers around online but personally I don't really fancy having something always strapped around my arm. Hopefully like the other answer said it's just a coincidence as I was pretty happy with using a patch over the top of it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply!
I have the Libre 1 sensor. I've seen these kind of "armband" covers around online but personally I don't really fancy having something always strapped around my arm. Hopefully like the other answer said it's just a coincidence as I was pretty happy with using a patch over the top of it.
Hi,

Yep, it is a bit "Freddie Mercury." I wasn't actually keen on the idea of sticking the bridge to the top of the sensor or more sticky on my arm. (after initially trying it out.)
It certainly helps me with regards to an active work environment.

I feel your sensor error wasn't due to your choice of covering.
It does sound to me like you were unfortunate with a duff sensor..

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brill thank you very much!
It seemed like a good solution for me so I'm glad people think it's probably just a coincidence.
When I was first prescribed mine I was climbing in and out of a dog cage numerous times a day and was worried I'd knock it off trying to get in the door, I did try without last year in the summer and while one stayed put the next I woke to find lying in bed beside me lol, it had been an exceptionally warm night but didn't want to risk it so went back to putting a patch over it, how much are you paying for your Tegaderm? Cutiderm are exacty the same thing and I get a box of 20 of them for around £7 xx

MatthewB-CYM

When I was first prescribed mine I was climbing in and out of a dog cage numerous times a day and was worried I'd knock it off trying to get in the door, I did try without last year in the summer and while one stayed put the next I woke to find lying in bed beside me lol, it had been an exceptionally warm night but didn't want to risk it so went back to putting a patch over it, how much are you paying for your Tegaderm? Cutiderm are exacty the same thing and I get a box of 20 of them for around £7 xx
I'm planning on just sticking the Tegaderm over the top as soon as I see the edges lifting, but it seemed so comfortable I might just start putting them straight on after a few days, then it doesn't matter if the patch starts to fall off if the sensor stays on. I suppose it's all trial and error.
I managed to find a pack of 20 on amazon for £8.50, I'll probably try a pack of those cutiderm after these run out to compare and contrast!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi MatthewB-CYM

I use SKIN TAC wipes to help my libre stay in place. Works well for me. They make the area really sticky

Good luck h884