Omnipod, suspend insulin.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been podding for a couple of months now, generally all good, but still tweaking and adjusting.

We did the original set up via video link, not the slickest experience but needs must.

The DN, seemed nervous and inexperienced, didn't really listen and spent long periods out of the room. Now the question, she told me to NEVER use the suspend insulin function. Often I use a lower temp basal while working outdoors or hiking (for example) and if a bit low chomp sweeties + take it a little lower, down to 0.15 u per hr. Wouldn't I just be better suspending insulin for an hour or so?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any particular reason she told you not to suspend it?
Maybe your DN thinks you might forgot to re-enable it? I know mine beeped every 15 mins if I put it on suspend - though admittedly that can be missed if busy.

I haven't really done much in the way of exercise since I got my pump (July), but I'm sure I got told that during exercise I may need a temp basal or maybe even suspend if necessary, I know I didn't get told to not use it (mostly so far I've only used it if my BS is a tad too low). Admittedly I have been taking the advice form the Medtronic trainer rather than my DN at the hospital as I'm not sure my DN at the hospital knows much about tech at all (they still use a paper diary for appointments)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do not have an OmniPod but I do have a pump and regularly suspend it when exercising. My previous pump was a tubey one and I would remove it when exercising which is pretty much the same thing.
With my pump (don't know about OmniPod) you have to set the time period you want to suspend for. You cannot suspend it indefinitely so there is no chance of forgetting.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thx, yes it was in case I ran out of insulin.

The omnipod rep seemed much more knowledgeable than the DN, but wouldn't/couldn't comment re clinical advice.

I don't think I got the best from the session, the DN seemed unprepared, flustered, and out of her depth. Not sure if other stuff was going on though, she kept leaving the room so I was just shooting the breeze and chatting with the rep. Maybe she was trying to manage multiple sessions at the same time.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Richard F

My mindset to my t1 care is that I am the one living with it so I do everything myself without DSN input, that includes my pump management - get yourself a copy of Pumping insulin by John Walsh. I suspend insulin if I can see I am going low within 30 mins or for exercise and can set a timer on it so if I am running I will time it so I have insulin being pumped back at 100% 20 mins before I finish, it sounds like she was way out of her depth as pump suspension is a key benefit to using a pump.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all.

Just back from a couple of hours with the dog, suspended basal, just relying on the residue bolus.

Worked well a nice even 7.1-7.6 all the way round.

Reactions: Medusa41 and Juicyj

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Early days yet, but I've been using the suspend insulin feature as required. Mainly when working outside or walking.

Blood sugars more stable and reduced.

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Early days yet, but I've been using the suspend insulin feature as required. Mainly when working outside or walking.

Blood sugars more stable and reduced.
Are you on the Omnipod Freestyle or the newer Omnipod Dash? My son is on the Freestyle and selecting suspend insulin requires you to manually resume it.

What I have found better is using the temp basal option as you can set it to 0% for a select amount of time and it will resume once your selected time is finished and you can cancel it early or set it another temp if you require more time at a lower or zero hourly rate.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on dash, it's funny though. If you can set suspend in 1/2 hr periods, but it doesn't resume until you click resume. Just gives an insistent beep.

Good tip re temp basel set to zero.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i use the suspend feature when making changes to a basal rate on my omnipod Eros -- as it will not allow you to make changes when inulin is being delivered

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Richard F

My mindset to my t1 care is that I am the one living with it so I do everything myself without DSN input, that includes my pump management - get yourself a copy of Pumping insulin by John Walsh. I suspend insulin if I can see I am going low within 30 mins or for exercise and can set a timer on it so if I am running I will time it so I have insulin being pumped back at 100% 20 mins before I finish, it sounds like she was way out of her depth as pump suspension is a key benefit to using a pump.

Interested in this...I've been trying to walk more as a new year resolution. Always walked in half hour increments but now I'm trying to do a hour. Started at BG of 11 and suspended basal insulin, half hour later I'm 2.7

Do you suspend the basal insulin how before you start exercise?

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Interested in this...I've been trying to walk more as a new year resolution. Always walked in half hour increments but now I'm trying to do a hour. Started at BG of 11 and suspended basal insulin, half hour later I'm 2.7

Do you suspend the basal insulin how before you start exercise?
Hi, You probably know the answer to your question now but just in case you don't. I set temp basal 1 hour before, during & 1 hour after my long walks. I know we are all different in how much insulin we need, a 50% reduction works well for me on a 2 hour walk. 2 hour walk = 4 hours reduction