Insulin Shortage

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Has anyone had any trouble getting their insulin ? I went to my pharmacy to pick up my Semglee insulin this morning to find it had several notes with it one saying I had been given a box of Insulin from Poland from a batch of 5,000 as they were having problems sourcing it in the UK , The other notes were translation instruction in Polish to English , The box will probably last me until March but I did notice the expiry date is the end of January . Not really a problem at the moment but was just wondering if anyone else has had any problems ?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know when I was still using Lantus (a few years ago) at one point I was always getting ones from abroad with English translations stuck on, the best before dates were roughly what I would've expected anyway.
So I don't think getting foreign language ones is new is my main point

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am surprised you have been given insulin with such a short expiration period. Typically, this is more than a year after getting it, Are you sure the dates are not January 2022?

I confess I stocked up (without stockpiling) before Christmas to ensure I had enough to last the holiday period and Brexit transition.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Has anyone had any trouble getting their insulin ? I went to my pharmacy to pick up my Semglee insulin this morning to find it had several notes with it one saying I had been given a box of Insulin from Poland from a batch of 5,000 as they were having problems sourcing it in the UK , The other notes were translation instruction in Polish to English , The box will probably last me until March but I did notice the expiry date is the end of January . Not really a problem at the moment but was just wondering if anyone else has had any problems ?

I don't know which pharmacy you are using? Some seem more likely than others to try and source product from the cheapest market.

I was using a Lloyds branch in my area without any issues until the premises changed hands and became Kamson. Then every prescription started to contain Polish or Italian boxes. I moved to a different branch of Lloyds and started getting the med's with the UK packaging again.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I am surprised you have been given insulin with such a short expiration period. Typically, this is more than a year after getting it, Are you sure the dates are not January 2022?

I confess I stocked up (without stockpiling) before Christmas to ensure I had enough to last the holiday period and Brexit transition.
No it says 1/ 21 on the box and 31/1/21 on the note with it !

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
No it says 1/ 21 on the box and 31/1/21 on the note with it !
Hi @jaywak I thought this letter from 8 years ago might put some perspective on your worry. This is only a section of the letter, but I never had any problems after writing it. The fact that a quota existed is appalling, but apparently once they had reached that limit, any further stock was sold off abroad. Seems we are now buying it back in! I hope this unnecessary stress is nipped in the bud. Good luck!

19th November 2012

Dear {Head of Surgery}
Thank you for taking the trouble to write to me on 16th November and for clarifying matters raised in my letter to {my doctor}
As a patient who relies on Insulin being available at all times, I'm sure you appreciate the perception of the Pharmacy system from the user's viewpoint. On being told that even Insulin had been controlled by a quota, I felt that to do nothing was not far short of irresponsible. However, from your explanation it is now clear to me that the problem is essentially external. I would suggest that any patient on life-saving medication needs assurance that they are not cut adrift, purely because of financial considerations. It would seem that it is unlikely for such patients to experience this problem.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've not experienced any other regional language printed on my insulin boxes.

A couple of times in the past, i have had to return to the chemist for a box. However i was informed that this is because the chemist always keeps "one" in stock for an emergency.
This actually hasn't happened for a number of years..? The last item i needed to return for was a box of strips. (But i was dispensed plenty to crack on with.)

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strangely enough, just came on to check into this.

Went to the chemist earlier to collect a prescription for Lantus and Novorapid and they were still trying to source the Novorapid. I wouldn't normally fret about it, but, the same thing happened last month. Luckily, due to this I'd ordered the latest batch earlier so I don't currently have to worry for a week or so. It's a reminder not to leave it too late before re-ordering.

Anyone else having problems?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Strangely enough, just came on to check into this.

Went to the chemist earlier to collect a prescription for Lantus and Novorapid and they were still trying to source the Novorapid. I wouldn't normally fret about it, but, the same thing happened last month. Luckily, due to this I'd ordered the latest batch earlier so I don't currently have to worry for a week or so. It's a reminder not to leave it too late before re-ordering.

Anyone else having problems?
My Lloyds pharmacy has no problem in doing my Levemir and Novorapid.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problems here. Am on Fiasp and Tresiba. When I went on the Fiasp over a year ago the pharmacist told me it always takes longer to get hold of, so to make sure I ordered ahead and not leave til the last minute.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse me, trying to find an answer and this was closest so rather than start a new thread...

Due to bad or non existing cycling in the fridge, I just opened a new box of novorapid with January 2021, no way im getting through two pens this month, is it ok to use it up in February? Cant imagine it would matter? Thankyou