Extending Dexcom g6 sensor life

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm now on day 24 of my first attempt trailing sensor restarting. I've found the only thing that has changed so far is the sensor temperature compensation. When showering my BG shows a significant rise and falls back to normal soon after. This is the same as the Libre1 does from day one. I intend to keep restarting it until something more serious than that happens. I have to calibrate several times after start-up and after that it has remained as accurate as during the first 10 days.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm now on day 24 of my first attempt trailing sensor restarting. I've found the only thing that has changed so far is the sensor temperature compensation. When showering my BG shows a significant rise and falls back to normal soon after. This is the same as the Libre1 does from day one. I intend to keep restarting it until something more serious than that happens. I have to calibrate several times after start-up and after that it has remained as accurate as during the first 10 days.

Hi,

What app are you using to breath new life into your sensor?

I use the Libre. However i downloaded "Idroplet" a while back & plan to experiment with it when my sensor ends life tomorrow..
seeing as i have a bit of time on my hands till the new year.

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What app are you using to breath new life into your sensor?

I use the Libre. However i downloaded "Idroplet" a while back & plan to experiment with it when my sensor ends life tomorrow..
seeing as i have a bit of time on my hands till the new year.

The Libre1 sensor that I started monitoring with cannot be extended. The g6 sensor can be extended because it uses the power supply of the transmitter which lasts 90 days. I use the xDrip app on a cheap Android phone. It can also be extended using the Dexcom receiver.

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have just checked YouTube and see there are some who have been able to extend the life of Libre sensors using a Bluetooth transmitter and phone.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre1 sensor that I started monitoring with cannot be extended. The g6 sensor can be extended because it uses the power supply of the transmitter which lasts 90 days. I use the xDrip app on a cheap Android phone. It can also be extended using the Dexcom receiver.

Hi,

Yes, I use XDrip with a Miaomiao Bluetooth bridge. On average extending use by another 8 hours.
The app I recently downloaded is said to restart (at user's own risk.) the sensor, boasting twice the life?
Then continue with Xdrip.
I suppose I'll find out a little later. (Keeping a close eye on it with my meter.)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I used to get upto 30 days with dexcom without accuracy issues.. I only ever had to calibrate about 12 hours after a restart and then it was OK after that

I am now funded and using it with my pump so not worth the risks of restarting

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get upto 30 days with dexcom without accuracy issues.. I only ever had to calibrate about 12 hours after a restart and then it was OK after that

I am now funded and using it with my pump so not worth the risks of restarting

Hi searley,
for this trial I fitted the sensor to the OUTSIDE of my upper arm to make it easy to remove the transmitter. Can you let me know where you fit your sensor?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I fit mine on my abdomen central between chest plate and belly button

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completed 30 days using the same g6 sensor without incident and good accuracy but the next attempt to restart failed. It wouldn't accept my calibrations and then failed completely. My skin after sensor removal was in excellent condition. The greatest downside overall was the need to do more blood tests.

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried again to restart a sensor which had performed well for 10 days but it failed to maintain accuracy after 24 hours use. Will now give up this practice. I think I must have had a lot of luck with my first attempt at doing this.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some sensors work better than others some I've had to remove after a few days.. others have lasted 30 days

Face it at about £2.50 a day its worth doing if you self fund