Trying to lower my hba1c

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 diabetic for 6 years now and I want to take control back of my life.

I have been depressed for 5 years and this has had a major impact o
n my overall sugars.

To say I have had good control would be a joke, I've been terrible.

I want to finally have control over them and get a good hba1c. I now have the freestyle libre and I'm trying to cut carbs as much as possible.

Wish me luck and anyone else struggling, just know you're not alone.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done in making the 1st move to improve your overall health. As a type 2 myself, I can not offer any advice as Type 1 is not my forty but hopefully someone who is Type 1 and well controlled will come along shortly to advise you - as I think you may have to be careful with your carb intake if you are taking insulin. Good luck - the easy thing is to carry on as you are but the hard thing is what you are about to do... change ... but then it will become your new normal without having to think too much about it and the overall benefit for your long term health will be well worth it. I wish you well and take care.

Reactions: Mark-optimistic

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 diabetic for 6 years now and I want to take control back of my life.

n my overall sugars.

I want to finally have control over them and get a good hba1c. I now have the freestyle libre and I'm trying to cut carbs as much as possible.

Hi Mark,

It can be a bit of a "catch 22." BG managment issues can compound emotional state.
The focus on one aspect & maintaining health can only have a positive efect on your phycological wellbeing & in return should assist you with your condition.

These libres are great.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Mark-optimistic

Have you done any educational courses for your t1 ? Also are you carb counting ?

As Jay has said the downside to running high blood glucose levels is that it will heighten your depression and make you feel worse, the extra glucose in your blood slows cognitive reasoning and leaves you feel low, but so does running high/low, I have learnt the hard way myself, getting more stable glucose levels and in range will help your moods greatly but eating low carb is only a small part of this, timing of insulin and correct carb counting/bolus calculations also count towards stability.

Having the libre is a massive plus as you can now see the impact of everything in direct relation to your levels, but use it as a learning curve in experimenting with what works and what doesn’t.

Personally I can eat a certain level of carbs and keep fairly stable but as we are all different it’s finding what works for you food wise.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

n my overall sugars.

Hi there , youre not alone .
Its tough . But if you start at the beginning strip it all back and start with getting your basal insulin right so your numbers even out so you come back to an even 8 to start thats what i did it felt right for me ...get a little note pad and start recording your insulin that you take for small amounts of carbs ie a jacket potato 200g ..start small ..gain confidence over a year or so and then you can eat whatever you like !! I was a food envy person but now i eat with caution but i enjoywhat i like . Its a long process be kind to yourself ,youll make mistakes that fine watch your lows and youll be great ps carbs are good no prob just bolus ( i dont do loads ) thats just me 50 g per day the margain for error with insulin is reduced i feel . My story , we all have one we are all individual your diabetes is yours .. no one elses

Ley666

n my overall sugars.

You're not alone massive well done on taking some control back. I'm in the exact same boat, whole grain carbs seem to work for me, cutting them out completely I find it makes my blood sugar go very up and down there isnt much stability.

Well done again! Everyone is lovely here