Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother - mushrooms were the one thing missing in the supermarket today. I may have to start growing them if it carries on! They are a staple of my veggie ways of eating and have been since I got to choose my own food. My parents both hated them so I never had them until I was an adult.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
We had a ton of fireworks this year on New Years Eve. They are legal here from 9-12. But it started at 7 and didn't end until 2am plus. I say they are legal but not the ones that shoot into the sky and there was no public display put on this year and the sky was full of the illegal ones. Some kind of bomb sounding one too that was just a big boom. They started setting those off days/weeks before with many complaints about it. All I can think of is because of Covid people went nuts with fireworks this year.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, good morning all.
@Japes, I ordered the kits online, so glad I did!!!! I got one for younger daughter too but younger grandson loves mushrooms so much she said it wasn’t worth having as he’d not be trusted to leave any fruit until it was big enough to be worthwhile.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
What a colossal muck up here. I went snorkeling for the first time since the death of my dog. So I am not "used" to the long swim and while I only stayed out for 2 hours, it was a strong current this time of year.

I thought I was going to stay nice and steady, no insulin in the morning other than my basal, I dropped to 5.2 which would be perfect on a normal day, but not to snorkel. So I downed about 20 carbs and by the time I was swimming I was 9.7. Okay fine I guess I won't have to worry about dropping too low...................but I never dropped at all. I think it was the exertion which as when I had started doing those long swims I would climb until I got used to it.

Okay dose to come down, dose to eat (pizza, really bad choice, will not be repeated after snorkeling) and watch me climb to a 14 for 5 friggin hours. And then drop and now I will have to watch for dropping too much because of all that snorkeling.............

It was worth it still, hopefully I still will think so after tonight.
upload_2021-1-8_21-50-39.png

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, very cold here though no frost or snow which we've had the rest of the week. Bgs responding nicely to dogged attempts to clear my garden as part of the simplification process, even in the face of this weather.

@Marie 2 hope you're all sorted now and thanks for the photo.

Have a good day all, I'm back off out the garden!

Reactions: karen8967

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Marie 2 It is all this extra thinking and work that makes this drafted condition not something you can ever switch off from. Snorkelling is harder for you than many others, but well done for doing what you want to and living your life. And hey! Those numbers are not there all the time, they are an unwelcome hiccup.

Reactions: Marie 2

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

I've tackled the weekly supermarket trip, (definitely best done before 8.00 a.m. in the nearest, but not totally preferred supermarket - I alternate between 3 places) done the now daily washing load, cleaned me, and am now hunkering down for the rest of the day.

We're as ready as we can be to re-enter the world of on-line learning next week, whilst not having all the information we need, and I have a whole list of tasks to keep me out of mischief when not actually engaged in a virtual classroom during my contracted working hours...

There are definitely going to be more students on-site from Monday, but interestingly, I've been told I'll be one of the last called back in as my line managers have agreed between themselves to use both the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable list and the Clinically Vulnerable list (unlike the dear soul who wrote my risk assessment who decided my public transport use was more of a risk than diabetes...I saw the point, but when I only used public transport when late or treating a hypo..) as there are more staff this year who are not on either list. As one of them cheerfully informed me as well, "We know you really will work at home and we want to keep you safe!"

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
All sorted now, but I knew a drop was coming so I went ahead and had a piece of pizza without any insulin a couple hours before I went to bed thinking it would help keep me higher hours later. I'm sure it helped, but I reduced my basal 50% and still within the first two hours of going to bed I had to drink half an OJ, a few vegan ***** bears and some chocolate soy milk.

It's really quite amazing what exercise does, and the different types of exercise. And what we have to figure out to compensate for it.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is actually a really well produced parody/satire.
Apart from the lyrics, the vocals are indistinguishable from the original..

Nice find!
Yes, it’s real talent to do something so well dubbed. It’s been whizzing round the WhatsApp groups.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning Karen, good morning all.
Our GP next door neighbour whatsapped us a good one this morning, I’ll try to get it on here later but can’t promise this oldie’s tech fingers will work. The teletubbies and Stravinsky’s Rites of Spring is an oldie too, makes me smile and look forward to the Spring Equinox.
Hope you’re all keeping going - testing times, testing times.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What a colossal muck up here. I went snorkeling for the first time since the death of my dog. So I am not "used" to the long swim and while I only stayed out for 2 hours, it was a strong current this time of year.

I thought I was going to stay nice and steady, no insulin in the morning other than my basal, I dropped to 5.2 which would be perfect on a normal day, but not to snorkel. So I downed about 20 carbs and by the time I was swimming I was 9.7. Okay fine I guess I won't have to worry about dropping too low...................but I never dropped at all. I think it was the exertion which as when I had started doing those long swims I would climb until I got used to it.

Okay dose to come down, dose to eat (pizza, really bad choice, will not be repeated after snorkeling) and watch me climb to a 14 for 5 friggin hours. And then drop and now I will have to watch for dropping too much because of all that snorkeling.............

It was worth it still, hopefully I still will think so after tonight.
View attachment 46730
It’s horrid when everything that seems to go wrong becomes magnified by grief. So glad the snorkelling was worth it.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not the teletubbies, yet, but personally cheering:
I basal tested from 00.30 to 12.30 and the basal’s right, it’s right! So the endless carb/doses juggling goes on, and on,