Cant find a cereal that doesn't shoot my blood sugar right up!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Stephen Ponder’s ‘Sugar Surfing’ is a good example of ways to think about blood sugar control.

649tom

My 5yr old Daughter was diagnosed 2wks ago. Our nurse advised us to stick with what she eats and to not change a thing. (Only limit snacks to 15gm of carbs in between meals).
Breakfast is our main spike by a mile. Our nurse advised today to pre-bolus 15mins before cereal so we'll try that tomorrow.
We switched her cereal from Aldi Cocopops which were about 37gms of carbs per 100gms to a Kellogs cereal that was advertised to be a healthy option for kids. It contains about 27gms of carbs per 100gms and about 8 times more fibre that the cocopops but the spike height and length didn't change.

We're still at the stage of not wanting to mess with her meals too much just in case she decides she's not going to eat.
Meals times are still nerve racking for me once that bolus goes in.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 5yr old Daughter was diagnosed 2wks ago. Our nurse advised us to stick with what she eats and to not change a thing. (Only limit snacks to 15gm of carbs in between meals).
Breakfast is our main spike by a mile. Our nurse advised today to pre-bolus 15mins before cereal so we'll try that tomorrow.
We switched her cereal from Aldi Cocopops which were about 37gms of carbs per 100gms to a Kellogs cereal that was advertised to be a healthy option for kids. It contains about 27gms of carbs per 100gms and about 8 times more fibre that the cocopops but the spike height and length didn't change.

We're still at the stage of not wanting to mess with her meals too much just in case she decides she's not going to eat.

Hi,

Did you factor in the milk? I find milk (Lactose.) can be a bit of a "wild card."

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's eye opening how much sugar is in kid's cereals - horrendous when you think about the long term impact on their health and teeth!

In time as she gets used to life as a T1D and you get a better understanding of her ratios it's worth playing around with the lower sugar ones to see how she does. Some of us do well on slow release porridge for instance - but that spikes other people.

Good luck!

Ley666

Eating anything warm will make you feel fuller. Eating proteins will have less of an effect on your blood sugar. But you also have to know/understand that dawn phenomenon means that anything you eat in the AM will cause your blood sugar to be quite volatile.

I gave up eating breakfast. It wasn’t easy in the beginning but that’s where I’m at now. If my blood sugar needs something in the morning, I eat 1/2 as much in the morning and that’s enough to fix it.
I feel this may be the route I'm going to go down, and just take dextrose sweets with me, such a pain in the butt!!!

Ley666

I have 3 hours of physical work at 7am and bolus at 6.15 for eating 1/2 oatibix & bran flakes 15 min later. I am a bit spiky by 7 but it drops quickly once I start work. I do use full fat milk which might help

Then rises stupidly once I finish work - but that's a different problem!
See I always drink skimmed milk, am I needing fat in there as well since it's a huge carb hit?

Ley666

Hi there, I too work shifts in the emergency services and I sympathise!!! I actually decided not to have a higher carb breakfast on working days (morning shift) because that way I know I won't need to have ANY insulin or maybe 1 unit depending upon what is eaten. If I have cereal (rarely) I have to take more insulin to combat it and I too, worry that that will lead to hypos at work (which it has done in the past). I rarely have breakfast anyway but if I think I'm going to have a busy work morning (unpredictable), I will just eat a snack every two hours that is low carb but enough to keep me going. Maybe a piece of cheese, or a few slices of ham, or a couple of boiled eggs (dependent on kitchen access obviously). I wonder whether this might work for you, I know there are many ways to approach breakfast and shifts but for me, this means I do not have to worry (too much) about hypo's knowing I have none or very little novarapid on board. I do keep an eye on my levels to make sure they are not going high as well. x
Hiya nice to meet a fellow devices diabetic!
The risk of a hypo at work is too much for me, it's too distracting as well. Yeah that cos make more sense to have the protein and no Insulin instead of carbs. Thank you

Ley666

You will get there! Sounds like ypure doing fantastic already, it's worrying but once you learn how to act on things like hypos and highs the anxiety will leave you. Keep up the good work guy!

Reactions: 649tom

Ley666

Another thought @Ley666, are you using a half unit pen? What basal are you on?
No I'm on novorapid and from what I'm reading....I'm needing a faster acting insulin. Basal is humulin. Again I'm not keen on it as of decades when it wants to kick in, all different times of the day it decides to disappear and come back. So no half units for me, I have my consultant on Wednesday going to get the insulin changed

Ley666

I’ve had times when any breakfast will lead to a rise, and it’s been hard to calculate a shifting dawn phenomenon. These days though, a slice of rye pumpernickel or a blueberry muffin will keep me steady. They’re both easy, no cooking, which is important if you don’t want to rise earlier than you have to. A bit of peanut butter, or marmite and peanut butter (yes, some of you will be saying yuk) on the rye helps to make it more substantial. The protein boost of a boiled egg may help you get through the morning too, one that’s already hard boiled, mixed with whatever you fancy such as firm plain yoghurt, Mayo, tomato . . . on the bread.
If I don’t eat at all, and this is a personal observation, my liver dumps some glucose anyway for the energy needed: nasty rise.
And, of course, a pre bolus.
How long have you been on novo @Ley666? I noticed things got easier when I changed from novo to Fiasp.
We’re all different, so you may need to experiment and see what works best for you.
I am deffs seeing about changing my insulin, I've always just thought I am super resistant to Insulin, I'm not it's the rubbish novorapid.

Ley666

I am also an ex cereal eater. Now have raspberries and full fat Greek yoghurt. With appropriate insulin. 10 carbs worth In total. On the days I have not eaten anything at all then I still get a rise that will need insulin. The small amount of food just helps to control it better.
I've thrown it in the bin! Causing more stress than good Haha. So many great recipes and ideas I'm getting, been living a very sheltered all bran life

Reactions: oldgreymare

Ley666

I am a personal trainer and exercise a lot but do not always have carbs and if a I do its a 30g limit just for this very reason!
I know cereals are really convenient but can you find some lower carb options or skip breakfast?
A few years ago I'd also have been convinced that I needed them and tried to shoot down anyone who tried to convince me otherwise. I think the carb myth is there because of years of breakfast cereal ads but unless you are a pro athlete about to do a sprint event there's really no need for them in order to perform an active job role.
Sometimes I have 1 slice of toast. Other days its coconut tinned milk with some coconut flour and egg porridge (as easy to make as normal porridge). More time (pre lockdown) then I'd enjoy eggs, bacon and mushrooms.
Sometimes (early shift) I eat a spoonful of nut butter and have a fair bit of coffee then really enjoy lunch!
Hiya
Yeah I'm never hungry in the morning anyway, was just always convinced I need carbs in the morning to keep me going -, I absolutely don't! If anything they make me more tired and sluggish. I'm going to cook boiled eggs the night before and some kippers! Much nicer anyway eh

Ley666

Yes I experience this during the morning no matter what I eat. I tend to be more insulin resistant in the morning so you’re probably the same as are many people.

To combat this I’d pre-bolus and eat as low carbs as I can .

I don’t know what your travel arrangements are but I’ve found that cycling to work helps me avoid spikes
I'm going to switch to protein instead. Been convinced for years that I need carbs as I'm.surrounded by dieticians etc, donf need them at all. I wish I liked yogurt it seems go be everyones go to.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I feel this may be the route I'm going to go down, and just take dextrose sweets with me, such a pain in the butt!!!

When I used to eat breakfast I found that my I:C ratio had to be twice that of any other time of the day. But in loading up that kind of insulin I’d always crash after DP ended around 11 AM. So I started to eat less, and then I dosed less and I crashed less. Then I went to skipping breakfast and didn’t crash at all. That trial and error is how I got to where I am now.

It’s a choice. You have to be the one who has to decide.

Reactions: Hill28

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
I quit breakfast long ago, because of the dawn effect (rising values even by only standing up, even without eating). Cereals i also quit as almost all of them contain huge amounts of sugar, which give you the spike.

weetabix is one of the few cereals that doesnt contain added sugar. Its carbs last longer.
You could also try to switch to lactose-free milk, which has fewer carbs. Or you could choose soy milk without added sugar. All this will possibly help to avoid a spike.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. And she drinks it. Semi skimmed.

Back in my day, milk was recomended for hypos. (Some dismiss that these days due to the delay with the content of fat?)
I still remember the illustrated book gifted by the doc on my diagnosis..No CGMs or even meters back then, "he tells mummy he feels funny & she gives him milk."

However, it's still my "go to" on a low if I happen to be near a fridge.. Pulled me out of a 2.6er on waking this morning. That was semi.

If your child changes her mind on food after the bolus has gone in? If she can be tempted by milk? This may just help.

Best wishes.