Cant eat without feeling sick

CHULLY

Hi can anyone help. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for 36yrs My HBA1C 46 so well controlled. I eat less than a 1000 calories a day, for the past 6 months every time I eat I feel really sick so I really don't eat alot. I have also gained alot of weight. I tried a full keto diet for 4 months and I was very strict, I lost no weight. I also have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis. under active thyroid I also try my best to extra exercise. I do work full time, with light manual work. can anyone help please

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can anyone help. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for 36yrs My HBA1C 46 so well controlled. I eat less than a 1000 calories a day, for the past 6 months every time I eat I feel really sick so I really don't eat alot. I have also gained alot of weight. I tried a full keto diet for 4 months and I was very strict, I lost no weight. I also have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis. under active thyroid I also try my best to extra exercise. I do work full time, with light manual work. can anyone help please
Hi @CHULLY , and welcome to the forum!
Do you have a diabetes team you can contact on this problem?
Less than 1000 calories for a longer time means a very low food intake. Can it be connected to your thyroid issues? I don't know anything about thyroids, so I'll tag @JoKalsbeek here, she isn't T1 but has done some research on thyroid problems recently I believe.
Stomach problems can be a diabetic complication from long standing diabetes as well of course.

Reactions: CHULLY

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
under active thyroid

Are you on medication for this? Dr Google says weight gain is a symptom of low thryroid, so in your position with those symptoms I'd want to be sure that my thyroid was being treated properly....

Reactions: CHULLY

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A thousand calories a day, that's way too little for such a long time. With a wonky thyroid your metabolism is probably already slow, and malnourishment could make that significantly worse. When did your dosage get reviewed last? What are you eating, are you getting enough nutrients?? And are you using more insulin than you used to? (Possible resistance maybe?).

Get in touch with your doc. Something could be off with your stomach/gallbladder/digestive tract that is potentially easily solved, your meds probably need adjusting so some help from an endo to go over your thyroid (full panel!) and your insulin sensitivity'd be a good idea. I know with covid, going through the mill is far from appealing right now. But you have to be able to eat without everlasting discomfort. You're starving yourself now, and that won't do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

CHULLY

Hi Everyone thank you all for your advice. I've had an under active thyroid for about 13yrs. I have spoken to the doctors and diabetic consultants and got know where. They just say my thyroid is fine. I did a food dairy about 18months ago and took pictures of all the food I ate, the diabetic consultant said I must be eating more than that, and really didn't believe me. Even my mum.who was with me, said she lives with me as my carer and I can honestly say she really doesn't eat much. He said I could try the keto diet but would need to go away and decide if I wanted to be honest about my food. I joined a gym and got myself a personal trainer for 6 months and didn't lose any weight, I worked at a manual worker at that time off loading pallets of paint 5 days a week. Now my arthritis is getting worse so I now work in an office.
I have tried to eat more , but I really struggle as I really feel so sick and nausea after any food . I've done full keto, I've now cut out most carbs, and gluten but still know weight loss and still feel sick. Im really at a loss

TypeZero.

First thing I thought is maybe an autoimmune thyroid condition - if it hasn’t been ruled out already?

Despite undereating you’re gaining weight and you also have an under active thyroid which is kind of ringing alarm bells.

Best thing to do is let a medical professional know and they will order the relevant tests to see what is wrong

erin40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
No idea how you would gain weight on a 1000 calorie diet. Do you feel sick now while eating keto, or are you not eating keto anymore?

I agree about seeing a doctor and getting tests, maybe diagnostic imaging.

I had pain after eating and it turned out to be an ulcer. I believe nausea after eating can also mean gastritis. But it could mean a lot of different things. Extremely severe pain can be pancreatitis. This can happen for different reasons but one is from eating a lot of fatty foods.

I went to ER in severe pain and the doctor 'checked' to see if my pain was an ulcer by giving me pantoloc and seeing if I improved. I did improve, immediately, so she said it's an ulcer and sent me home with a prescription.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone thank you all for your advice. I've had an under active thyroid for about 13yrs. I have spoken to the doctors and diabetic consultants and got know where. They just say my thyroid is fine. I did a food dairy about 18months ago and took pictures of all the food I ate, the diabetic consultant said I must be eating more than that, and really didn't believe me. Even my mum.who was with me, said she lives with me as my carer and I can honestly say she really doesn't eat much. He said I could try the keto diet but would need to go away and decide if I wanted to be honest about my food. I joined a gym and got myself a personal trainer for 6 months and didn't lose any weight, I worked at a manual worker at that time off loading pallets of paint 5 days a week. Now my arthritis is getting worse so I now work in an office.
I have tried to eat more , but I really struggle as I really feel so sick and nausea after any food . I've done full keto, I've now cut out most carbs, and gluten but still know weight loss and still feel sick. Im really at a loss
I believe you. A lot of people here have been called liars about their food intake, yours truly included, so yeah... When there are multiple conditions working against you, it can't possibly be that that is the problem, you MUST be a liar and over-eating! Urgh. It'd help so much if they'd just listen to their patients, eh.

You mentioned strict keto and such, but the term sometimes means different things to different people. Can you tell us what you eat and drink in a typical day? Maybe there's something in there that raises a red flag, seems healthy but isn't to a T2 etc. So we can start weeding out possible problems there, and *please be as detailed as possible*. Copy your food diary out, if you have one. Not just to see what may be affecting blood sugars and weight, but whether we spot something that could impact your quality of life. Also, what medication are you on? (Give us the entire list please. Some can cause ulcers or gastro intestinal distress!). There's a few things that can influence the uptake of thyroid medication as well, so not just being nosy or anything. The best thing'd be a complete investigation by medical professionals, but if they've fobbed you off, might as well give us a go. If we discover something is wrong, that at least would give you something concrete to discuss with them.

CHULLY

No idea how you would gain weight on a 1000 calorie diet. Do you feel sick now while eating keto, or are you not eating keto anymore?

I agree about seeing a doctor and getting tests, maybe diagnostic imaging.

I had pain after eating and it turned out to be an ulcer. I believe nausea after eating can also mean gastritis. But it could mean a lot of different things. Extremely severe pain can be pancreatitis. This can happen for different reasons but one is from eating a lot of fatty foods.

I went to ER in severe pain and the doctor 'checked' to see if my pain was an ulcer by giving me pantoloc and seeing if I improved. I did improve, immediately, so she said it's an ulcer and sent me home with a prescription.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@CHULLY sorry I can't add much to the above.
But I wanted to say "Cool hair!".

That's it ... and hope you feel better soon. :)