Covered in tiny extremely itchy spots and my blood sugar is hig

Merkin2211

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugar is high and this morning I’ve broken out in very tiny blotchy red spots which are all over and extremely itchy does anyone know what they are . I just assumed they were connected to my type 2 diabetes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugar is high and this morning I’ve broken out in very tiny blotchy red spots which are all over and extremely itchy does anyone know what they are . I just assumed they were connected to my type 2 diabetes.
I suggest contacting your surgery. We can't diagnose here. I personally haven't heard of this in connection with type 2 diabetes

Reactions: Merkin2211

Merkin2211

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks I’m self isolating at friends and have been for nearly a month with no contact from anyone except my three friends . I’m on the line with NHS 111 and call waiting times are over an hour . It could be I’ve damaged my little toe and caught something maybe chicken pox or shingles . Just my bloody luck if I have and I’m not sure what the docs going to say about my little toe . I’ll keep you all up to date .Thank you for your help guys .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are self isolating? Have you had covid19? I ask because towards the end of the coughing stage, I had a couple of chicken pox type spots underneath my big toe and a couple more on the side of my leg, just below the knee. I googled pictures of covid rashes and found some of people in China with spots exactly like mine. Some only had one or two and others had them pretty much all over.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a rash on my face when I had covid but not until I’d been sick for a week.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Some rapid googling says not only can you get a covid rash that looks like chicken pox, there is such a thing as covid toes (they swell and turn purple!).

Definitely a case for a doctor...when you get through. Good luck.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The three occasions I’ve had itchy spots have been chicken pox, drug allergies and guttae psoriasis (no history and misdiagnosed several times initially). Covid also produces rashes.

Check with a dr and consider a covid test. You may have seen only your housemates but who have they seen?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Merkin2211. Just wondered how you'd got on with calling 111. Hope you were able to get through and they were helpful. I come out in a rash with different brands of medications, so that may be an avenue worth checking. Take care and hope your blood sugars start coming down soon.

PennyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a rash all over the lower half of my body and legs last year. The diagnosis was lichen Planus. It has now gone but the dermatologist gave me lots of creams and ointments which I am still using as it helps to keep my skin moisturised which she said would help. I would definitely phone your surgery and see if you can send your doctor there a picture of your skin, they will know your history and may be able to help you remotely. Good luck, hope it clears up soon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My son (who lives with me) and I both had an undiagnosed virus in March, which had all the symptoms of covid, but "couldn't possibly be because there is none here". We were not tooo sick and just took paracetemol and rested. For both of us the symptoms persisted for quite a while - even now I have some but he is much improved. Both of us had sore big toes and the nails on both of our toes cracked. They are currently growing out and will repair themselves, no doubt. My son does have psoriasis and he was pretty sure it was an effect he had read about in which psoriasis develops this kind of effect. I never had psoriasis before, but maybe it was latent - my father certainly had it.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My son (who lives with me) and I both had an undiagnosed virus in March, which had all the symptoms of covid, but "couldn't possibly be because there is none here". We were not tooo sick and just took paracetemol and rested.
I don't think anywhere can claim (or could claim) there are no covid cases, possibly no symptomatic ones but that doesn't mean none I'm afraid.
So unless you two had both been shielding it could have theoretically been covid, just as a thought.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think anywhere can claim (or could claim) there are no covid cases, possibly no symptomatic ones but that doesn't mean none I'm afraid.
So unless you two had both been shielding it could have theoretically been covid, just as a thought.

Precisely! But that's not what local medics said. Actually - even at that time, there were 2 cases in the local hospital - but they kept it quiet. We had not been out and about much - both having health issues meant we don't go out much - but my granddaughter had a mild virus a couple of days before we and her mother went down with it. I'm pretty sure it was covid but everyone still says that it might not have been since we were never tested. The odd thing was the toenail problems.

gardengirl2

Hey Merkin,
Itching
is often a symptom of diabetic polyneuropathy, which is a condition that develops when diabetes leads to nerve damage. Certain skin conditions that develop as a result of diabetes may also cause itchy skin. A person with diabetes should not ignore itchy skin.