What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few pecans.
Dinner: home made LC sausage rolls with leafy salad, coleslaw and a few silver skin pickled onions followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
! needed to try some h/m “bread”, clear up things and after 3 OMADs in a row + more exercise felt I was over taxing my system - 4 would defo have been too much. B:Tea: Dockey: CWCSHCS: Lunch: Bit of L/O cauli cheese; gammon sandwich : Eve: Toast and dripping (from the beef we had Sunday) “Bread” made Sunday, still soft and would be ok in similar circumstances - added bulk/stodge. Acceptable rather than anything else - not quite bread IMHO more cakey (eggs) but ok. Roughly £2 per loaf recipe below the flour https://lowcarbfood.co/shop/low-carb-flour/
So if you used 250g rather than the 264g they suggest it would be possible to get 4 loaves out of this mix - did it taste ok? - better or worse than slc? what do you think? Thanks for sharing :)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted with butter & brussels pate on top. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - large mushroom & onion omlette with a few chips. 2 squares 90% lindtt with peanut butter on top.

I went out for a walk earlier in the fresh crisp snow before it got dark and bitter cold again.

A rather large glass of red wine (another christmas leftover) is calling on me ;) I will just have 1 this evening as I am driving tomorrow.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So if you used 250g rather than the 264g they suggest it would be possible to get 4 loaves out of this mix - did it taste ok? - better or worse than slc? what do you think? Thanks for sharing :)
I use the same ingredients as in this flour but mix my own as buy large bags of the ingredients which are used in their mix however the bulk of mix is wheat gluten powder which is fairly cheap to buy in big bags. I think you could reduce the amount of mix you use - just add less liquid. Oat bran fibre is one of most expensive bits but you only use a small amount. Most of ingredients used seem to be imported from Germany and East Europe. I’ve just got lots of the basics in already or would buy the ready mix. I use extra virgin olive oil and also use 7g of traditional yeast which I develop in a cup of warm water mixed with inulin which allows it to really grow. Presume this recipe uses fast action yeast. I love making bread enjoy if you have a go it’s very satisfying and wonderful smell.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
;)
I use the same ingredients as in this flour but mix my own as buy large bags of the ingredients which are used in their mix however the bulk of mix is wheat gluten powder which is fairly cheap to buy in big bags. I think you could reduce the amount of mix you use - just add less liquid. Oat bran fibre is one of most expensive bits but you only use a small amount. Most of ingredients used seem to be imported from Germany and East Europe. I’ve just got lots of the basics in already or would buy the ready mix. I use extra virgin olive oil and also use 7g of traditional yeast which I develop in a cup of warm water mixed with insulin allows it to really grow. Presume this recipe uses fast action yeast. I love making bread enjoy if you have a go it’s very satisfying and wonderful smell.
Many thanks for that - I bet the smell and taste of freshly baked bread with melted butter is amazing - you can't beat it - I have thought about making my own - yours always looks and sounds amazing and I am not working again (last job was just xmas temp) so I finished up around christmas so I should have a bit more spare time. Problem is I would be complete novice for bread making I don't even know what size of tin I would need and I suppose I would need a bread cutter too! so that's how I was asking Ian how the bread was as the ready mixed would may be be a starting point for me and once I get ok at it I would probably call upon you for your recipe. Many thanks I would love to make my own like you but I haven't baked for years since my boys were small - making bread would be a challenge for me.;)

Reactions: mojo37

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
;)
Many thanks for that - I bet the smell and taste of freshly baked bread with melted butter is amazing - you can't beat it - I have thought about making my own - yours always looks and sounds amazing and I am not working again (last job was just xmas temp) so I finished up around christmas so I should have a bit more spare time. Problem is I would be complete novice for bread making I don't even know what size of tin I would need and I suppose I would need a bread cutter too! so that's how I was asking Ian how the bread was as the ready mixed would may be be a starting point for me and once I get ok at it I would probably call upon you for your recipe. Many thanks I would love to make my own like you but I haven't baked for years since my boys were small - making bread would be a challenge for me.;)
Would be interesting to see if you could do it in a bread maker I don’t have one but it would do the mixing and baking although you’d have to use fast yeast. You do have to knead it a fair bit - I use my very old Kenwood which has a dough hook.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A playing with new gadgets and cookery books day
11:30 a protracted brunch of a 1 egg chaffle ( in new waffle maker). Still hungry so followed with a 90 sec mug bread usually cooked in microwave but this time tried the new waffle maker. Came out much drier and less eggy but was firm enough to hold butter and marmite.
Still hungry so ate 2 portions of a Berry bake I had cooked to have as pudding over the weekend.
Nasty headache so had an hours sleep and still didn't feel great most of the afternoon

6pm 1 97% heck sausage with cauliflower cheese and a topping of crispy kale cooked in the airfryer. It did cook evenly and in only 4 minutes.
A portion of the berry bake. Boys had some too. Only 2 small portions left

PiersAaron

Yesterday, 01072021, I ate the following:

1. Before noon (and breaking fast): 6 cups of decaf coffee with a little bit of unsweetened almond milk;

2. Lunch: boiled broccoli with cheddar cheese and sausage.

3. Dinner: Romaine lettuce salad with tomato, white onion, tomato, black olives, and chicken meat from rotisserie chicken. All topped with homemade salad dressing consisting of EVOO, mixture of white and balsamic vinegar, Italian seasonings and garlic powder.

4. Dessert: 3 or 4 pieces of homemade peanut butter fudge (1" x 1" x 3/4"). Made of the following: butter, organic (no sugar) peanut butter, vanilla extract, and stevia. Some call these fat bombs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reply over in parallel thread. Food for 9/1/2021: B:Tea and CWC (cafetiere) ‘till midday: Dockey/Lunch: CWCSHCS (Nespresso) and Fattbar cookie; tea later: Eve: Salmon and avo salad with flaxseed and spinach powder sprinkles and vit tabs. The food fairy has all the ingredients to have a go at making her own Fattbaresque cookies. All we need now is for her latest back issue to heal and us to find the bean to cup coffee maker. Exercisebike, shower, B2C coffee and cookies sounds like something worth waiting for.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Have decided to come back as its a kind of good discipline and I missed reading your company. Have been struggling a lot mood wise since Christmas, like I put a lid on it all to get beyond Christmas and have now lost my compass plus the guilt of having so much to be thankful for.
Anyway yesterday’s menu was
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch: Small piece sourdough spread with Camembert, one slice roast beef with dab of horseradish mustard.
Supper: pan fried cod loin, 3 scallops, broccoli.
2 orange gin & soda.
Today
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch: scrambled eggs on a split Lizza toastie.
Supper: tandoori prawns and cauli bhajee.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Have decided to come back as its a kind of good discipline and I missed reading your company. Have been struggling a lot mood wise since Christmas, like I put a lid on it all to get beyond Christmas and have now lost my compass plus the guilt of having so much to be thankful for.
Anyway yesterday’s menu was
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch: Small piece sourdough spread with Camembert, one slice roast beef with dab of horseradish mustard.
Supper: pan fried cod loin, 3 scallops, broccoli.
2 orange gin & soda.
Today
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch: scrambled eggs on a split Lizza toastie.
Supper: tandoori prawns and cauli bhajee.
It is just good to see you back whilst sad to hear of you struggling. Pleased to see your breakfast stays the same. Often familiar routines/structure are found to be helpful but everyone is different in so many ways.

Reactions: mojo37 and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you posting here again @PenguinMum Food looks great so well done for sticking with it in spite of your struggles. I think a lot of people did the same in hanging on til Christmas, then finding it worse on the other side.
Today I had the usual black coffee until lunch which was a cheese omelette.
Dinner was a thick slab of a sous vide Boned rib of beef. Had mushrooms with it. Now a cup of TWAM and I’m not moving for hours until I’ve digested it all.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and left over low carb sausage roll.
Dinner Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, three small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum lovely to see you back.
Breakfast two boiled eggs and one slice of new hm lc bread - the crust in my opinion the best bit....
Missed lunch
Pre dinner small bag of cheesies and glass dry white wine with soda
Dinner duck stir fry with one little Chinese pancake - about 5g of carbs - followed by DGF pecan and butterscotch blondie and yoghurt.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoga first thing (well 9:30 is early for me)
11:00 a new breakfast for me, fancied something warm that wasn't eggs so tried a linseed and chia porridge made with almond milk and cinnamon. Was OK and will remember, a bit gloopy as anything with chia seeds is. Might try just linseed next time
Still hungry so had a piece of cheese soda bread with brie, stilton and manchego.

Mid afternoon Bad Hubby opened a pack of stollen bites. Bad Bad Hubby. I did manage to only have one.

6:30 Steak with green salad witha little bit of stilton crumbled over. A Berry bake with teaspoon extra thick double cream. Saturday 2 glasses red wine

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted with brussels pate and butter on top. Mug of earl grey tea.

Dinner - bratwurst sausages with plum tomatoes. 2 squares lindtt 90% with peanut butter on top

Enjoying a large glass of red wine - going down well! - just sat down at 10.45pm after a busy day to-ing and fro-ing at mums, food shopping, housework etc. etc. I don't think I have had enough to eat today - I can feel the wine going straight to my head - cheap date me - eh.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Brunch - greek yoghurt, flaxseed with goji berries, mixed seeds, cinammon and used up last of double cream. Mug of earl grey

Dinner (kind of) - 1 slc roll with cheese & coleslaw. 1 DGF (peanut butter whatever) and extra thick cream, 1 square of son's galaxy chocolate - it was soo good I can't remember the last time I had galaxy but glad he has finished the bar as I would be tempted to have another square. Part of me will be glad when all the treats are gone, if it is not in the house and I can't see it then I don't want it ... but I am enjoying the little treats which won't last that much longer - imo we all deserve a treat now and then - life is all about balance and I would be so miserable if I could never ever have xyz ever again (although there are some things very carby/sugar loaded I will never have again) - imo a LITTLE of what I fancy does me good sometimes. Mug of earl grey to finish off. Oh and I forgot a handful of mixed nuts.
That is what I'm trying to achieve doing low carb but sometimes if I eat something carb/sugary I try not to overthink it (sure it doesn’t work all the time), otherwise my BED disorder takes over. Because Christmas New year life sometimes gets in are way.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
View attachment 46726
This weeks home made loaf rose amazingly well - I started a new packet of wheat gluten powder and it seems to be better than last weeks which used the last of an older packet which produced a flatter loaf. Also managed 45 slices of bread in total to pack up and freeze - so looks like will last longer than usual week and less than 1g of carb per slice (30 for whole loaf)
Lunch was a late breakfast again of one each of slice of bacon,egg and lc toast and nibble of new loaf with butter to test it - as smell is so good it’s hard to resist! New loaf amazing. Kept some out of freezer to have with boiled eggs tomorrow.
Mid pm DGF millionaires shortbread - last of pack bought in November and enjoyed but will stick in future to the DGF cakes that i eat as puddings microwaved from freezer as try to avoid snacks usually but this one needed eating as had defrosted it!
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with a few green beans and three small new potato chips ( about one small new potato)with glass dry white wine followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake and yoghurt.
Still no news on vaccination for 90 year old mum in yorks but heard of a fit 50 year old who was offered it in his rural area as they had spares! Seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery.....
That bread looks so good is it a recipe.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Busy with work, so haven't posted in a couple of days.

@PenguinMum -- It's good to see you back here.
@shelley262 -- Fabulous looking bread.
@PiersAaron -- Food looks great.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Later a slice of Aldi protein bread with mayonnaise cheese and turkey salami.

Lunch: Nothing.

Afternoon snack: A bag of chicken cracklings.

Dinner: A small rump steak with cauli mash (cauliflower, butter, potato fibers). Red wine.

Late night: About 20g of cheese and 40g of turkey salami.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Wonderful looking bread @shelley262 I hope your mum gets her vaccination soon.
@ianpspurs ‘bread and dripping’ I bet that was a trip down memory lane. I used to hate it but reckon I’d probably like it now if it had enough salt on.
Today I was at work again - lots of coffee. So glad I started off by taking my own in - they have industrial size tins of the cheapest brand I’ve never even heard of. Makes me shudder to look at.

Lunch was a bit of leftover brisket with Dijon mustard to dip and a couple of Baby bells.
Dinner was an airfried chicken leg. Can’t believe I’m eating, let alone enjoying chicken skin.[/QUOTE]

lol I now what your saying how do people drink that stuff

Never eaten lard with bread but I was watching a cooking show recently "the cook and the chef" with Maggie Beer in this episode it was on what people ate using rations during war times, Maggie used 100% beef dripping on toast to replace the butter as butter was hard to get those days.