Gestational Diabetes and Low Carb

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just posted on the GD forum but maybe I can get advice here too. My daughter has just been diagnosed with GD diabetes and wants advice on a low carb diet in pregnancy, baby is due early March. She lives in the middle east and has very good health care but not sure they are up to date on low carb advice. She's yet to see a dietician but her GP has said to eat low carb, little and often. She has a dairy and soya intolerance otherwise she will eat anything. Any advice appreciated.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find this article helpful: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/pregnancy

I’ve never been pregnant, but I first learned about low carb and diabetes through a friend with gestational diabetes who successfully used a very low carb diet to manage through the pregnancy.

I see your your daughter’s GP has recommended low carb. Do you have specific concerns or questions?

Reactions: LadyLovely

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Goonergal. I have passed on the article. I wasn't happy giving diet advice from my own experience as she is pregnant. She was advised that if her readings didn't come down she would have to go on medication which she wouldn't be happy with. She's generally fit and healthy but had a knee operation last year so couldn't exercise and then became pregnant. Obviously hoping that the diabetes goes away after the baby is born! She is being referred to an endocrinologist as she also has a thyroid problem.