MissZButler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When my blood sugars don't behave!
Hi all,
I’m Type 1 diabetic and I’ve had an awful day with blood sugars and ketones... haven’t been feeling well today either so I’m trying to figure out what I should do.

I’m on Tresiba 6 units OD and Novorapid for bolus.
I woke up today with a BG of 12. Unusual for me as I usually wake in the 5/4s. I’ve been feeling sick and generally lethargic. By about 2pm I had ketones of 2.4 - I tried having a little something to eat with an extra 2 units of Novorapid to compensate for the high BG.

My ketones have now come down to 0.3 but my BG is 28 (eek!) which I haven’t reached since my diagnosis last year.
I’m drinking like a fish and have just given a correction... feeling a bit stuck with what to do next.
Any support would be appreciated

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely phone 111, they're the best people to advise you.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,
I’m Type 1 diabetic and I’ve had an awful day with blood sugars and ketones... haven’t been feeling well today either so I’m trying to figure out what I should do.

I’m on Tresiba 6 units OD and Novorapid for bolus.
I woke up today with a BG of 12. Unusual for me as I usually wake in the 5/4s. I’ve been feeling sick and generally lethargic. By about 2pm I had ketones of 2.4 - I tried having a little something to eat with an extra 2 units of Novorapid to compensate for the high BG.

My ketones have now come down to 0.3 but my BG is 28 (eek!) which I haven’t reached since my diagnosis last year.
I’m drinking like a fish and have just given a correction... feeling a bit stuck with what to do next.
Any support would be appreciated

Any chance you could be ill and even have 'the' virus?

TypeZero.

If the high blood sugars persist throughout the day and lasts for days then it may suggest basal needs a boost especially since you may be at the end of your honeymoon (6u Tresiba is very low to be honest with you)

MissZButler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How are you today @MissZButler?
Hi,
I managed to bring my BG down last night after bolusing through the day... it took a total 34 units of Novorapid to bring me to normal range. Went to bed last night and I’m back up to 15mmols on waking. Very frustrating. No ketones though which is the main thing. I agree with @TypeZero. that my Basel needs amending.
I’ve just had my first child so I’m thinking my body is now adjusting to not being pregnant too - if I get any ketones today I’ll give 111 a call but if I can keep in relatively ok range then I’ll give my nurse a ring on Monday.
Thank you for checking up on me

Reactions: Antje77

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried changing to new cartridges of both insulins, just in case they're not working as well as normal? Take care and hope you get your levels down ok today.

MissZButler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you tried changing to new cartridges of both insulins, just in case they're not working as well as normal? Take care and hope you get your levels down ok today.
Thank you - yes I switched pens yesterday to make sure it wasn’t an issue with them... unfortunately didn’t seem to make much difference
Hopefully I can keep better control today and stop me going into the 20’s

MissZButler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Any chance you could be ill and even have 'the' virus?
Definitely a possibility that I’ve caught something... I really hope it’s not COVID, no symptoms in that sense. They think it was COVID that I had when I first got diagnosed. They think having COVID caused the complete destruction of my beta cells.
Quite interesting but bloody annoying!