Breakfast ideas

Beating-My-Betes

I'm not a moderator, and you can put up whatever you like. But if someone's interested in cutting carbs to keep their diabetes in check, your suggestions won't assist in that goal. Someone who's new to the whole thing wouldn't know that though, so... Figured I'd say something. Just to be on the safe side. ;)

Thanks!

The op didn’t mention that they were specifically looking for low-carb suggestions. Had they been more specific, I certainly wouldn’t have made my recommendations.

Reactions: Marie 2

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I must admit. I have tried vegan sausages, burgers, and vegetable burgers. I do not understand how people can eat these foods and not have a spike. The carbs in these foods are quite high. I used to love Birds eye veg burgers, but when I look at the carbs its something like 20 carbs for one burger. I spike every time that I eat anything vegan, unless I make the burger myself.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A majority of the vegan meat sold in the US is low carb. Yves, Tofurky, Beyond Meat etc and many more are all low carb. I know in the UK it is more limited on choices but there are still low carb alternative meat choices there too. You just need to read the labels and maybe try some different stores that carry other brands. If you are interested. If you are looking at veggie burgers or say black bean burgers, they are going to be higher carb versus a soy or wheat gluten based burger. Although beans are high on the list of good for you foods if you are not a low carber. Edaname (soybean) is low in carbs, a great snack or meal food, high in protein.

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm more of a savoury brekky person. This might not be a quick weekday breakfast, but could be partly made in advance... Tofu slices dipped in flax egg and coated in sesame seeds, then sauteed or baked. Served with roasted mushrooms, grilled tomato and wilted baby spinach. That's more of a weekend brunch really (and I usually have it with low GI toast because I'm not made of stone). Cashew hollandaise over tofu slices with asparagus is another good one.

jane1754

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
M favourite breakfast is chocolate chia pudding, just 5 gram carb. I add some berries and a dollop of kefir (vegans could use vegan yogurt) on top. I also like my homemade very low carb granola with almond milk (search low carb breakfasts on line.for recipes - there are lots out there)

Reactions: Marie 2

Mummymerle37

What sausages do you like. I'm currently living in NZ and the selection is not great - Linda McCartney and the Alternative Meat Co is what I eat mostly.

I often eat toast with hummus and tomato because it's quick and I can shove it my face on the way to work. However, looking to sub in a lower carb option for a bit.

I haven't tried alpro yogurt - that's soy right? I do sometimes get the coconut ones. I'll add to my shopping list for next week. I think there's still some blueberries at the store right now.
I love ❤ Richmond sausages very tasty with everything on toast and beans

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Last nights left overs, it's only western culture that says the breakfast should be a specific and different meal to our others or even try fasting and have lunch for breakfast

I never have breakfast, but take 1 unit Novorapid plus 5 units Levemir when I get up anyway. Usually I have lunch at around midday, salad with some kind of protein. This regimen deals with the morning BG rise and means I am very ready for lunch!
If I get hungry in the morning before that, I have a drink of carbonated spring water...

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Looking for vegan breakfast ideas beyond the tofu scramble. :) What do you eat for breakfast?

Cheers,
Cat
Alpro yogurt, various flavours, with raspberries or blueberries. I also make my own ‘muffins’ from the diabetic cookbook listed below and keep in the fridge They do have eggs in though so if you are vegan I would think not suitable, however anyone else reading they are quick to make and easy. I react badly to lots of food but have been most successful with this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-D...Diabetes+Cavan+cookbook&qid=1630410597&sr=8-6

Reactions: Marie 2 and coby

Beating-My-Betes

Alpro yogurt, various flavours, with raspberries or blueberries. I also make my own ‘muffins’ from the diabetic cookbook listed below and keep in the fridge They do have eggs in though so if you are vegan I would think not suitable, however anyone else reading they are quick to make and easy. I react badly to lots of food but have been most successful with this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-D...Diabetes+Cavan+cookbook&qid=1630410597&sr=8-6

Some egg-free keto muffins for the vegans:

Mr Doggy

Personally I love bruschetta. You can use pickled garlics which are not as aggressive with the smell. Erin's suggestion of avocado salad with tomatoes is great. You can grill avocado too.

If you want something savoury I'd mix big Portobello mushrooms with garlic and fresh wild herbs, and grill avocado. You can batch Portobello mushrooms and use them with different touches like marmite (or any food intensifier).

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love Bruschetta too! I make mine with toasting a piece of sprouted bread so it stays stable a little bit better. Then chopped fresh tomatoes, fresh chives, fresh oregano, fresh garlic, Sprinkle some Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil and I bake it in the toaster oven. Sometimes I bake some vegan shreds on it too.

If you don't want the 12 carbs of the sprouted bread, there are some low carb breads, but also low carb tortillas that would work!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy