Will I always be officially diabetic now I'm diagnosed

Cec57

Hi all I’m quite new on the forum.
I’ve been pre diabetic since I had pancreatitis in 2014 and managed to stay just below the official hba1c level until last year when I was diagnosed with a hba1c of 50, not too high but just over the threshold. I’ve managed to lose weight and got my hba1c down to 47 so back in the pre diabetic range.
I wanted to ask if I Will always be classed as diabetic since I went over the limit. I’m not on any medication just controlling with food. I use an electric wheelchair so can’t be that physically active.
I got my first result just as lockdown hit and was sent a blood test slip to take to the hospital blood clinic for my second and did have had my eyes photographed at the same time. I haven’t really had much of a chance to talk to my GP.
Any advice would be great.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome, you'll get lots of advice here and dietary changes can certainly work, low carb many use here to a greater or lesser extend depending what your body can handle and how it copes

I don’t know if surgeries will change the records but my opinion is that yes, you will always have diabetes. You can put yourself into remission, some on the forums have done that and I am nearly at that stage (non diabetic hba1c but still on 1000mg metformin and hopefully zero metformin in 3 months)

but if I change my approach by putting on more weight and/or increasing my carb intake then my levels will increase. It may be held back for the rest of my life but it is not cured

But some doctors and nurses have a habit of saying it's progressive and will need increasing meds and eventually insulin, that's not borne out by personal experiences on here. So you have a great opportunity being so newly diagnosed to take control and manage this so that potential issues are minimised substantially

Good luck!

Reactions: Cec57

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you
I have had a non diabetic Hba1c for over 7 years and have been told by my DN once a diabetic always a diabetic however a friend had a non diabetic Hba1c for a year and was told that he was no longer diabetic so I think a lot depends on the perspective of your GP surgery and/or DN!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a non diabetic Hba1c for over 7 years and have been told by my DN once a diabetic always a diabetic however a friend had a non diabetic Hba1c for a year and was told that he was no longer diabetic so I think a lot depends on the perspective of your GP surgery and/or DN!
As I said, my personal opinion is that being cured means you can go back to doing and eating the same as prior to diabetic diagnosis and continue to keep those levels

I know any reversing and my bloods will revert to diabetic levels. So I'd say it's controlled and in remission. Perhaps it's a matter of semantics but I believe experiences from those on the forums is that it's a lifelong change needed to hold it back

Maybe some can fully reverse it, that would be nice

Reactions: Cec57 and RachelK

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I’m quite new on the forum.
I’ve been pre diabetic since I had pancreatitis in 2014 and managed to stay just below the official hba1c level until last year when I was diagnosed with a hba1c of 50, not too high but just over the threshold. I’ve managed to lose weight and got my hba1c down to 47 so back in the pre diabetic range.
I wanted to ask if I Will always be classed as diabetic since I went over the limit. I’m not on any medication just controlling with food. I use an electric wheelchair so can’t be that physically active.
I got my first result just as lockdown hit and was sent a blood test slip to take to the hospital blood clinic for my second and did have had my eyes photographed at the same time. I haven’t really had much of a chance to talk to my GP.
Any advice would be great.
If you manage to get your HbA1c down into normal levels i.e. not pre or full diabetic and maintain for I believe 3 tests your surgery should class you as "In remission" mine eventually did it after 4 years of non diabetic HbA1c so they might need some prompting.
This means that you should still get HbA1c checks ( should be 6 monthly) and the retinopathy check done annually.

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you manage to get your HbA1c down into normal levels i.e. not pre or full diabetic and maintain for I believe 3 tests your surgery should class you as "In remission" mine eventually did it after 4 years of non diabetic HbA1c so they might need some prompting.
This means that you should still get HbA1c checks ( should be monthly) and the retinopathy check done annually.
Hba1c are usually yearly too, maybe more regular if needed. Never known any surgery do monthly

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c are usually yearly too, maybe more regular if needed. Never known any surgery do monthly

Oops the 6 didn't come out will amend thanks for pointing it out.

And according to NICE guidelines should be 6 monthly even when good control is exhibited.. I had to remind my surgery of that!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery is one that considers remission to be HbA1c's under 48 for a year or two without medication. My first HbA1c under 48 was in June 2014 and has remained that way since then. My medical records still showed a coding of Diabetic until 2018 when my then GP went through all my records updating them. He added/removed/changed stuff. He marked me as diabetes in remission, with a starting date of June 2014. I continue to receive 6 monthly blood tests and an annual retinal screening plus an annual face to face with the diabetes nurse who sends off a urine sample for lab analysis. However, I am very aware that this "remission" is entirely due to my diet and weight loss. Should I go back to eating how I used to I have no doubt the diabetes would return.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve been type 1 for 40 years, about 5 years ago my partner started showing some “ diabetic” signs ( drinking tiredness etc, ) she is and never has been overweight in fact quite the opposite due to Crohns disease. Anyway I took her bloods sugars for about a week and they were higher than to be expect 11+ . So went to docs , and she was diagnosed as diabetic and purrs on metaphormin . So his went on for about 18 months and her bs were normal the doc then informed her after a blood test she no longer has diabetes, and as far a I and her regular bs i do for her he isn’t she doesn’t have and reg blood tests at docs anymore and she eats absolutely anything she wants to (obviously foods that don’t affect her Crohns ), so I guess in my humble opinion based on my partner alone’s experience the answer to the question is No
Be safe Be well

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, I agree with Andydragon and Bluetit. Although I have had normal blood glucose levels for 7 years and have given up metformin, I would prefer to be labelled as a diabetic in remission. This way I still get annual health checks and this helps me to to stay on the relatively straight and narrow. I know how easily I could slip back into old ways without having to fess up occasionally!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am well controlled/in remission I usually still get my yearly checks (although I had to put up a fight for the last one in September 2020 because I was/am in this position - it was long over due at this point as March 2019 had been my last checks/review - the diabetic nurse would have been happy to leave me alone had I not requested it) It suits me fine as I look on it as a free yearly MOT

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops the 6 didn't come out will amend thanks for pointing it out.

And according to NICE guidelines should be 6 monthly even when good control is exhibited.. I had to remind my surgery of that!
That's interesting to know!
I’m currently 3 monthly whilst coming off the drugs but will definitely remind my surgery if they try to move to yearly afterwards

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting to know!
I’m currently 3 monthly whilst coming off the drugs but will definitely remind my surgery if they try to move to yearly afterwards

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/Recommendations#hba1c-measurement-and-targets

In case you need ammo!

Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 14.57.47.png