wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
shinyathena said:
Well my diabetic nurse said that any beer or cider will up the sugar...but it sounds like its different for everyone...I'm starting to think my nurse is a bit of an idiiot!!! or just likes to put the wind up me and scare me into being a T totaller! dont think so....I like a drink but dont go mad!

Cider shoots my sugars up ...and weirdly enough coke max whacks up my sugars too ! Shandy I was told is pure sugar....

~Thanks fer putting me straight...love this site i always learn something new every time I come on here!

My Doc told me that the few pints of Bitter I enjoy on a Saturday evening, is not going to harm me. I think its all common sense ref Alcohol and T2, a little bit of what you fancy and all that :wink:

tighthead3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes.
Hi colin,I have a drink most fridays or saturdays, i drink bitter and dont see any significant changes in my bg levels,you must decide for yourself about what to drink and to what levels, its your body after all, i have never let the fact that i have diabetes interfere with my life in any way ,i live life as it is meant to be lived and enjoy most things in moderation, i go to my local gym 3 times a week and eat and drink what i like, my DN and my GP tell me i have my diabetes well under control so i am happy, i wont let diabetes control me and neither should any one else who suffers from this illness, like i said everything in moderation. Best wishes and enjoy your drink.

ColinJ

Hi tighthead, That is very informative information that you have sent to me,up to the year 2000 i had been a publican for 20 + years so i have been used to a drink every night,i still love a drink but i have never been told up to now what is moderation,i am 67 years young i do have a hobby [Rc Helicopters] which i enjoy,im afraid a gym is not on for me as i have had trouble with my back over the years with slipped discs.
I have two lovely dogs who are walked every day irespective what the weathers like as i love walking,i think where my problem lies or as done i have a very sweet tooth,and the likes of desserts/puddings/ice cream/ chocolate etc have probably been my down fall over the years,my BMI is 37 i weigh 20st i am 6ft-3ins tall but DONT smoke.
My GP as put me on Metformin 500mg 1 a day but i do like my drink,what baffles me i dont have the diabetes symptons of thirst,lethargic/tiredness etc i feel ok in my self,my GP as orderd me to have a chloestral blood test this tuesday,but one think i have never told my GP in my family there is 5 members who have got or had thyroid problems and i have been told that can be connected to diabetes.
Colin :thumbup:

tighthead3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes.
Hi Colin, I dont know anything about thyroid problems mate, but it might be wise to let your GP know about your family history of this, like you i never displayed any symptoms of diabetes and you will find lots of people on here who didn't too. I take 500 mgs of metformin 3 times a day, I am 5ft 10 ins tall and weigh 14st. I am 57 years young and enjoy my life, when i go out i will drink about 5 to 6 pints of bitter i usually do this once or sometimes twice a week, i used to play rugby and still support my local club, i suppose this is where my problems first started as rugby players have a reputation to live up to lol, as i said dont let diabetes control you Colin, it is not the end of the world and with a few simple guidelines you will be able to live a practically normal lifestyle. Good luck and best wishes mate.

I'm new and just posted a question similar to this I amworried about my hubby he loves a drink and after a recent Xmas drink weekend his sugars were 24 but we had had lots if very rich food too 2 days later his fasting sugars are still 14 he is so upset as he so loves a drink especially at Christmas he is determined not to have any and this I think will spoil his Christmas should I agree with or should I how him these comments as fro
What you are all saying it's probably not the drink causing this high readings?

Grazer

Concerned wife said:
I'm new and just posted a question similar to this I amworried about my hubby he loves a drink and after a recent Xmas drink weekend his sugars were 24 but we had had lots if very rich food too 2 days later his fasting sugars are still 14 he is so upset as he so loves a drink especially at Christmas he is determined not to have any and this I think will spoil his Christmas should I agree with or should I how him these comments as fro
What you are all saying it's probably not the drink causing this high readings?

Correct, UNLESS he's putting "mixers" in his drinks. Lemonade, coke, tonic water etc should all be "diet" versions if used. Fruit juices are a no-no as they all have lots of sugar in them, although you can find no added sugar ones if you look. Wine and spirits are all fine, beer has a cartbohydrate content (read the thread - some more than others) but doesn't do much to your sugars. It was probably the food that affected him. According to his medication, he needs to be careful of going too LOW with his sugar levels, but not a problem if he's just on metformin. Beware the carby food instead at christmas; mince pies, christmas pud etc
Good luck!

Thank you he will be alot happier should I be concerned about the high levels he wants to wait till after Christmas and then return to his old diet which worked fantastically before going to the dr is this safe to do as his sugars are so high at the moment? He had a good day yesterday but they were still 14 this morning? Sorry to ask but I'm so worried about him I don't know who to turn too xx

Grazer

Hi again! Glad you're looking after him. My answers to your other posts will hopefully answer this. If not, come back again. Normal safety-first advice is see your doctor if you get two or more readings over about 14, but I'd try tightening up on diet first, and if that doesn't work go in. Obviously, if he starts feeling ill with high sugar levels, go in anyway. If it gets really high and he feels bad over christmas, you can always go to A&E. They know what to do.