Just gone on the pump - question about Multiwave Bolus

submarinerLV

Hi

I've just gone onto the pump (Accu Chek Spirit Combo) after years of daily injections. I'm 29 and was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 14.

I had the pump fitted just over a week ago and it has been a tough time with the massive increase of blood sugar levels and adjustments, but I am willing to put the time and effort in as I hope the pump will be for me, but the jury is still out at this moment in time.

My question relates to the MultiWave Bolus feature on the Spirit Combo.

Can people please tell me exactly what it is, what it does, and how it works, etc.

I've not gone onto the meter/remote control part of the setup yet, I'm just programming basal and bolus direct from the pump.

Thanks

Jonathan

sugar2

I am sure someone will beable to reply with more details than me...but for now,,
It does what it says on the tin. I think it has 2 phases, an immediate phase, and then a slow delivery stage,

If say, you tested your BG before dinner, and it was 4.5...good, but, you don't want it to go down too much. Dinner is a relatively high far, medium carb meal...so, you are going to need some insulin, but you know, because of the fat in the meal, it is going to take a while for the carbs to get into your system. If you had all you dose immediately, you may hypo before the food had worked its way into your system. So, (and you can change the proportions and the rates with the meter...well worth playing with!) you could have say, half of your dose straight away, and teh rest of it dripping in over the next hour. It is really useful if you get post meal spikes as well.

Jopar is far better at explaining this, but above is my "simple" explanation. Liek all things with teh pump, it is worth trying out, and seeing how it works (or doesn't) for you.

jopar

Hi I also have the spirit combo

The multi-wave it a method of splitting and extending the delivery of the bolus to cover foods such that have an high fat content or a slow at adsorbing into the system..

It works by spliting the dose you've choosen into to parts, the fist part delivers the insulin in one shot, then the second part is delivered over a period of time..

The second wave (the extended part) starts as soon as the first wave has been delivered, this amount of insulin is divided equally over the period you've choosen and is delivered every 3 minutes, in the case of the Combo...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You need to be set up to the advanced menu-notthe basic menu to get multiwaves on the combo pump. Many DSN's start you off on the basic menu. The advanced menu is easy to get by yourself..but I would advise finding out your basic levels without playing around with MW for at least a month...You need to get your ratios, basals etc sorted first.....and as many tests as you can and to be competent at changing all of these before comtemplating the MW options....

anne_hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Multiwave Bolus can be used for fatty meals eg Curries (with sauce ) Lasagne and pasta with creamy sauce
Has anyone use this Bolus system for Sourdough bread ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @anne_hogg

You are responding to a 9 year old thread so unsure if any of the original posters will respond - personally I wouldn’t do a dual wave on bread unless there was a big slab of cheese on it, dual waves work for me when I eat a lot of fat with a meal (curry/pizza) or if I am eating a multi course meal at a restaurant over an hour or so with a fair amount of protein. I find it can take a while to digest a large steak so glucose levels will rise steadily during the night.