Blood test = Body is wrecked

DeadlyCatch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Veg !
Sorry just having a really down day, been feeling **** recently, so tired, so thirsty so GPs ordered a Blood Test, just got results (not seen GP yet, next week), doesn't bode well. Feel like my bodies giving up on life....

All the scary results in bright red
HBA1C - 112 (astronomical, and result sheet says "urgent intervention needed")
Sodium - 130 (low)
Creatinine - 61 (low)
Cholesterol - 6.3 (high)
MCHC - 310 (Low)
Oh and the Blood Pressure was 153/92 (High)

I was diagnosed T2 about a year ago now, but thanks to Covid still not had first appointment with local Diabetic Team etc so other than reading stuff, not had any diabetic education yet. My diet is **** as i was born a fussy/phobic eater, I rarely eat Veg, despite trying to cut back i still eat spuds and bread too much.

So tired recently I been off sick with fatigue, struggling.

Not even sure what the point of this post is to be fair, reading my results, and feeling like time is ticking away big time....

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry just having a really down day, been feeling **** recently, so tired, so thirsty so GPs ordered a Blood Test, just got results (not seen GP yet, next week), doesn't bode well. Feel like my bodies giving up on life....

All the scary results in bright red
HBA1C - 112 (astronomical, and result sheet says "urgent intervention needed")
Sodium - 130 (low)
Creatinine - 61 (low)
Cholesterol - 6.3 (high)
MCHC - 310 (Low)
Oh and the Blood Pressure was 153/92 (High)

I was diagnosed T2 about a year ago now, but thanks to Covid still not had first appointment with local Diabetic Team etc so other than reading stuff, not had any diabetic education yet. My diet is **** as i was born a fussy/phobic eater, I rarely eat Veg, despite trying to cut back i still eat spuds and bread too much.

So tired recently I been off sick with fatigue, struggling.

Not even sure what the point of this post is to be fair, reading my results, and feeling like time is ticking away big time....
Time to start looking at what you can eat. I mean... These results aren't anything to write home about, but they may be the kick up the bum you need. Veg isn't a requirement, not at all. Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, hard cheeses, all that good stuff, has little to no carbs and you can eat those to your heart's content. If you eat the good stuff, meaning not overly processed (the factory stuff with sugar and salts tossed in as taste enhancers, carbs for bulk etc is bad all around), your blood pressure'll probably come down too, as well as your cholesterol. There's more in the world, and tastier things too, than spuds and bread.

Figure out what you can have that is low in carbs, and doesn't trigger your phobia. (You call it fussy as well, but if it's a phobia, it's not something as trivial/affected as merely being fussy. It's a thing, and you need to take it seriously to be able to eat around it and heal yourself).

Bull by the horns. You can do this.
Jo

Reactions: EllieM and HSSS

DeadlyCatch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Veg !
Time to start looking at what you can eat. I mean... These results aren't anything to write home about, but they may be the kick up the bum you need. Veg isn't a requirement, not at all. Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, hard cheeses, all that good stuff, has little to no carbs and you can eat those to your heart's content. If you eat the good stuff, meaning not overly processed (the factory stuff with sugar and salts tossed in as taste enhancers, carbs for bulk etc is bad all around), your blood pressure'll probably come down too, as well as your cholesterol. There's more in the world, and tastier things too, than spuds and bread.

Figure out what you can have that is low in carbs, and doesn't trigger your phobia. (You call it fussy as well, but if it's a phobia, it's not something as trivial/affected as merely being fussy. It's a thing, and you need to take it seriously to be able to eat around it and heal yourself).

Bull by the horns. You can do this.
Jo

Thankyou, helps to talk, feel better already reading your reply.. Thankyou kindly.
So you telling me I can really eat meat, fish, cheeses etc without limits? As meat, dont really much problem with any meats or cheeses, or fish. I think I just little old fashioned. If I cook meat or fish then it has spuds with it, kind of tradition, maybe its time i just ate a plate of meat and carrots, I do like carrots!

Reactions: Oldvatr and hankjam

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, helps to talk, feel better already reading your reply.. Thankyou kindly.
So you telling me I can really eat meat, fish, cheeses etc without limits? As meat, dont really much problem with any meats or cheeses, or fish. I think I just little old fashioned. If I cook meat or fish then it has spuds with it, kind of tradition, maybe its time i just ate a plate of meat and carrots, I do like carrots!
Carrots are a bit carby at 7 grams per 100 grams, but nowhere near as bad as spuds, so... Yay, carrots? :) You could try cauliflower rice, it's nice with cheese and bacon tossed in, if you want to try that. (Maybe some herbs and spices. Doesn't taste like cauliflower at all, if that's any consolation.). But yes.... My meals today were a total of 375 grams of salmon (3 good chunks), high meat content sausages, and an espresso and extra dark chocolate for dessert. I go through plenty of eggs and cheese in a week (goat's in my case, as cow milk products don't agree with me, alas), but I've switched to the carnivore way of eating, while I did keto before. All low carb, and all excellent for blood sugars and whatnot. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- have a read. It's mostly still including veg and all, but it sounds like you have more foods you like to eat that would actually be good for you, than you might've thought to begin with! ;)

Reactions: DeadlyCatch

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Careful with the cheese and always read the label. I used to love the mexican one with the chillies, but it was a lot higher carb than I realised.

Hotpepper20000

I agree, however if you try keto, like me, it can make a heck of a difference.
Absolutely,I agree with you.
Cheese was a life saver for me when I was transitioning to no grains and legumes, I didn’t count the carbs in it.
Now a few years down the road I am a lot more careful.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"still not had first appointment with local Diabetic Team"
Oh yes you have! An unnofficial one anyway, right here.
Although there's nothing clinically official about this place, you'll find no nonsense, personal experience advice that really can work. Some of the folk have researched in great depth too.
You'll also find plenty of moral support.
Another thing that can help (at least feel a bit better) is exercise. I even bought a cycling helmet. Next, the bike.
One problem I had when first diagnosed was, 'right, now what the hell do I eat?' I used to be a baker for goodness sake! But soon my mrs got on board and we now eat really good low carb stuff.
Best of luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one of those halogen ovens with the hinged lid as sld on TV - really handy for my way of eating. I have a wide shallow metal dish onto which I can put a metal rack - veges in the bowl to roast, meat on the top to drip its juices onto the veges. Try roast swede slices, about 1/2 inch thick done under beef or pork or chicken, or even slices of cabbage, even halved sprouts.
You need to use metal containers to conduct the heat.
Lowering the blood glucose levels seems to bring a whole new lease of life.

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cauliflower and/or celeriac mash works well for me, cream, cheese, mustard or horseradish are all good flavours for it. Put with high % meat sausages and fried onions? The same mash works well as cottage or shepherds pie topping. Eggs, bacon and mushrooms? Omlette?
Hope you can find a few staples that work for you and can give you a new, healthier default option.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Celeriac is an amazing alternative to spuds. Thinly slice and layer with cream, bacon and leeks. Oven bake for about 40 mins on 180 and it's delish!!

Max68

Just a personal comment re the blood pressure. Did you have it done at the surgery? It's possible there could be a white coat syndrome going on. Each time I had mine done at the surgery it was always sky high so requested a 24 hour monitor and all was fine, so if at all possible I would ask for that.

DeadlyCatch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Veg !
Just a personal comment re the blood pressure. Did you have it done at the surgery? It's possible there could be a white coat syndrome going on. Each time I had mine done at the surgery it was always sky high so requested a 24 hour monitor and all was fine, so if at all possible I would ask for that.

Yes, i always have a little anxiety and GP knows its always high at surgery. Ive just ordered myself a BP monitor, so going to see how it seems over a few days.