I think I'm misdiagnosed as type 1 (may be actually type 2)

Muskogee

I got labelled with type 1 diabetes diagnosis 2 years ago. But I don't know if it fits right, since I don't need insulin.

At diagnosis:

25 years old
BMI 22
Lowish c pep
Antibodies found (GAD)
High ketones
A1C: 106

I was active gym x3/ week and cycled every day and training for running.

My diet was average vegetarian diet (not much processed foods, but I didn't shy away from the high carb rice and potatoes etc).

After diagnosis:

I switched to strict keto diet right after. I do less weights at the gym and more cardio exercise these days and have progressively lost about 6kg over 2 years (BMI now 19). My insulin needs dropped off rapidly within 3 months of diagnosis and then tapered off more slowly until now I'm at the point where I don't need any insulin and my A1c is 29.

It seems like diet and weight loss were key for me lowering my BG and I also don't need insulin.

So I think I could be type 2 not type 1.

Could the anti body result be a false positive?

AlfonsoJones

If you’ve stopped taking insulin and you’re not in hospital then you’re own pancreas must still be functioning to some degree... sounds likely that there’s a downwards trajectory though like a honeymoon period. What are your glucose readings? Confirm- you’re taking no insulin at all?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be LADA - which means the destruction of your beta-cells happens slower, but it does happen in the end.
I believe there are a number of people with LADA on these forums who have had long honeymoon periods using keto.
My understanding is that LADA is slow onset Type 1 - I would think low C-peptide results and positive antibodies would mean T1 or LADA - but obviously I'm no doctor